Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else ever just feel... ‘life will be okay, because I’ll win the lottery’

(40 Posts)
Strawberrypancakes Wed 12-Jun-19 22:42:23

It’s partially and joke and partially serious. We obviously pay m our bills and both work, but when I consider that the kids will need to get on the property ladder, or that we’ll have to do university fees, or the trips we’re aspirational about... I feel ‘we’ll win some money’ And then go on to daydream about it. And then google my new house blush

Does anyone else do this?

Strawberrypancakes Wed 12-Jun-19 22:42:46

Typos galore! Apologies.

Halfthesky5 Wed 12-Jun-19 22:44:37

All the time, I was really gutted not to win £123,000,000 yesterday!

Babyduck2 Wed 12-Jun-19 22:45:17

Not about the lottery but I always think things will work themselves out in the end, my OH is a constant worrier, where as I'm more laid back and think it will all be ok.
Whenever I've been in a sticky situation, something's always ended up getting me out of it, or something's just worked out. I don't know how to explain it but it all seems ok in the end.
I'm yet to win the lottery though!

Iwantacookie Wed 12-Jun-19 22:48:20

Yes op I do that too.
I'm not in a financial position to help any of my dc with university/deposits etc.
While I try not to think that far ahead it's hurtling towards me at frightening speed.

CameraTime Wed 12-Jun-19 22:50:37

I don't do the lottery, but I think that way about my (small) business. When it takes off, I'll have plenty of money! Not sure it'll ever happen, but it makes me work a bit harder anyway!

ipswichwitch Wed 12-Jun-19 22:51:10

I can’t even win a fucking raffle so I’d probably best get on with selling a kidney or something

BrieAndChilli Wed 12-Jun-19 22:53:04

I think for me it’s because things seem so far out of reach it’s not even possible to obtain

For example buying a house. We missed the boat when houses were cheap and 100% mortgages were aplenty
Round here, which is where the kids schools are, our jobs etc a 3 bed semi is 250-300k. We’d possibly get about £200k mortgage meaning we would need at least a £50k deposit. Even if we cut everything to the bone and had no life or entertainment or clothes etc and saved £1k a month it would still take us 4 years, by which time prices will have risen more and we still wouldn’t be able to afford it.

OhMsBeliever Wed 12-Jun-19 23:12:36

Yes, I do that. But I don't often buy a ticket, so it's not likely to happen.

I think my house has just been sold. I'll just go and wave wads of cash at the new owners when I win. grin

Loadsamoney!

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Wed 12-Jun-19 23:16:38

Yes, its dh plan A

We are always surprised when we haven’t won

Chocmallows Wed 12-Jun-19 23:18:01

In this dream lottery world, please can I win first? even though I don't participate? grin

SquishySquirmy Wed 12-Jun-19 23:29:02

Yes.
I am very lucky and have a good job, that I enjoy most if the time. But if I'm having a bad week, I'm feeling tired and guilty about the fact I'll miss DC's sports day/Christmas show/80s disco/take your parent to school day, I will buy a lottery ticket so that "when" I win I can take the rest of the week off.
Then I start thinks by about the logistics and tax implications of buying my sister a house etc, and wondering how to find a good accountant to help with that. Then I start thinking about who to tell, and how much I should admit to winning, and how to avoid resentment if I am not fair and equal with all family members.

And I'm normally a rational person!
There have been times where I have actually been surprised not to win.

MooBaaLaLaLa Wed 12-Jun-19 23:35:22

DH buys a euromillions ticket sometimes and while I think he is spunking money up the wall, the ticket usually ends up in my purse for safe keeping and I like to put off checking it for as long as possible. There's always that tiny bit of hope and room to dream...

...until DH checks it and it's back to reality.

FaFoutis Wed 12-Jun-19 23:41:53

I'm going to win the premium bonds. Every month I think this.

Chocmallows Thu 13-Jun-19 00:07:26

If I don't win the lottery, which I don't play I will suddenly take up painting and become a super rich artist.

GlitterPixie Thu 13-Jun-19 00:26:19

Yes every day

Dogsaresomucheasier Thu 13-Jun-19 06:08:31

I totally do this! Just one line once a week, but I live on those daydreams!

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Thu 13-Jun-19 06:31:55

My dd aged 3 wanted a toy. I said no, I didn’t have the money (day before payday). Dd announced, it’s ok, I know the lottery numbers. She only knew 4 but I bought a ticket, and just won enough for the toy and one each for her sisters.

AJPTaylor Thu 13-Jun-19 06:35:45

I refreshed my phone twice before leaving for work when I heard the 123m had gone to the UK.

Sarcelle Thu 13-Jun-19 06:39:04

When the lottery first launched I genuinely thought I would win the jackpot at some point on the basis that I was always lucky in raffles! This deluded fool has now conceded it isn't going to happen but I still dream.

Jiggles101 Thu 13-Jun-19 06:55:09

Yes definitely, it's what I buy tickets for. I deliberately don't check them for days so I can walk around like schroedingers millionaire fantasising about how to spend the cash. Honestly if it doesn't end up happening I'm not sure what plan B is 😬

LarkDescending Thu 13-Jun-19 07:02:22

I totally do this. I know which house I would buy and who I would help out. Last night while watching Springwatch I developed a fantasy plan for buying up unwanted former farmland with the surplus ££££ and rewilding it, creating jobs in my new nature reserve and probably single-handedly saving the planet.

I don’t actually buy lottery tickets, which may be a flaw in the plan.

TheVanguardSix Thu 13-Jun-19 07:07:28

This made me laugh!
Totally!
Except for me, not the lottery but the sheer genius of my novel, one of the greatest of our generation, will be published in several languages, there will be film rights galore, and I'll be set for life.
I've just got to write it first. And then invest in a shredder for the rejection letters which I'll destroy first, followed by my failed manuscript.
But yeah, I do live by the acronym that was always sung on the radio when I was a kid: EGBOK. Everything's gonna be ok.

sakura06 Thu 13-Jun-19 08:00:53

@Howmanysleepstilchristmas I love that story!

I do this too. Would be nice to buy a house. No idea what we'll do when we retire otherwise. confused

BertieBotts Thu 13-Jun-19 08:14:38

I don't play the lottery but I have a similar sort of attitude to Babyduck. It all works out in the end. DH is a planner, must have back up plan B for if plan A doesn't work, back up plan C for if plan B doesn't work, he can have six or seven at any given time and he is baffled by my attitude and especially that it works! He reckons I have some kind of luck gene. However I don't think it's that really. I think I just don't dwell on things that have gone wrong. If he ever has something go badly he beats himself up about not having had Plan X and sees it as a personal failure even if it was something totally out of his control.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »