Talk

Advanced search

What does your job make you notice?

(240 Posts)
alligatorsmile Mon 10-Jun-19 14:09:10

I work in advertising so I always notice bad fonts, dodgy claims, poor punctuation, use of stock photos and all sorts of things that leave me steaming with annoyance while normal people all around seem to be able to walk past a crap sign without wincing.

Does your job make you notice things the normals don't see?

redexpat Mon 10-Jun-19 15:15:53

I work in a jobcenter overseas so see a lot of cvs and cover letters. There are a lot of adult women who describe themselves as a girl.
Slso lots of people have had shit childhoods, and the sickness benefit legislation makes little sense to me.

bellinisurge Mon 10-Jun-19 15:24:58

Weasel words, legal fudge, "lines to take" on controversial issues l. I see that every day in my job so I spot it when I watch the news.

Lemonlady22 Mon 10-Jun-19 15:26:04

worked in a hospital and a shop and notice how rude people are to staff!

Foslady Mon 10-Jun-19 15:40:15

Labelling - dodgy claims, Blackfoot ways of making things look better than they are

Foslady Mon 10-Jun-19 15:40:54

Blackfoot???? Backdoor shock

powershowerforanhour Mon 10-Jun-19 15:42:46

How many people stride on 10 or 20 yards ahead of their arthritic old dog, pausing occasionally to call back to the dog to hurry up, when it is already hitching and hobbling along as fast as it can, panting with the effort and pain and anxiety of trying to keep up as it really wants to be close to its owner, having no chance to stop and rest. We live near a large lake; most dog owners are great but it's not uncommon to see old dogs on this "forced march" round the whole thing which is just too far.

How difficult is it to stop and start with tbe dog as it toddles slowly and stops to enjoy sniffing the grass in the sunshine? Frustrating when you fancy a proper walk but not difficult. I feel like telling them they should just get the poor thing euthanased if it's such an inconvenience because it doesn't look fun for the owner and miserable for the dog. Or at least saying "Have some empathy you selfish arse".

MyShinyWhiteTeeth Mon 10-Jun-19 15:47:09

I notice that when I see young children being dragged along by the arm in a walk/run gait by a shouting parent.

I notice self centred behaviour and people having no thought for others.

Nofunkingworriesmate Mon 10-Jun-19 15:48:51

The importance of good parenting, I don’t mean super parenting like homemade kale burgers and yoga personal tutor, I mean just bog standard give a fuck, kind loving, turn up to parents evening, and be kind and grateful to the teachers who are bleeding their life blood into teaching your kid kind of parenting.

pontiouspilates Mon 10-Jun-19 15:49:25

I work for the NHS and can't help but notice the total lack of investment and the stealth privatisation going on. Love my job but the situation in my Trust is dire.

Mumof1andacat Mon 10-Jun-19 15:51:42

I notice just how rude people can be...

Chartreuser Mon 10-Jun-19 15:54:27

How so few people take initiative anymore, either in performing tasks without handholding or just noticing things that need doing and doing them without being asked. See this all around not just at work but success me mar.

Chartreuser Mon 10-Jun-19 15:54:37

^drives me mad!

KnitterOfSocks Mon 10-Jun-19 15:57:56

Failed lintels, dodgy roofs, subsidence, badly run building sites...

lablewhore Mon 10-Jun-19 15:59:53

My job makes me notice clothes that do not fit correctly, bad tailoring, finishing and cheap fabric...OMG that all sounds awful! Also bad styling in photos for ads and how obviously staged most are - not flowing or relaxed.

NorthEndGal Mon 10-Jun-19 16:02:18

I spot things on the ground all the time out walking, I find coins, rings, keys, etc.
I hunt for sea glass, and I have developed the habit of survey walking , wherever I am going!

StoorieHoose Mon 10-Jun-19 16:03:05

Work in IT - people use their work email accounts for all sorts of things, end users are generally less than truthful (have your restarted your pc? Yes - when we can see it's not been switched off for 3 weeks) and that most people can't do a full days work without checking social media or internet shopping

EskewedBeef Mon 10-Jun-19 16:03:53

How so many adults are poor at mental arithmetic. Lots need help with very basic maths.

REDCARBLUE Mon 10-Jun-19 16:05:59

I work in a school and ive noticed there’s a lot of bone idle parent with zero morals around.

MyNameIsCharlesII Mon 10-Jun-19 16:06:08

Hotel housekeeper - how filthy and minging a lot of people are when someone else is clearing up after them. There is no way of knowing who these people are (although they are mostly men).

Hahaha26 Mon 10-Jun-19 16:07:04

The class system, work for financial services firm in the city, it’s still an old boys network....

Reallybadidea Mon 10-Jun-19 16:08:48

I notice how life is short and can be changed forever in just a few seconds.

picklemepopcorn Mon 10-Jun-19 16:09:41

Parenting, the lack of it or the quality of it, and child safety.

I wince when I see children heading for danger with no attentive adult nearby.
I flinch when an adult shouts or swears at a child. How much worse are they in private?
I sigh when a parent ineffectually disciplines the child- now Oscar, lets put the fishy back in the water shall we, fishies don't like being held like that, no don't squeeze it darling, I know it is cold isn't it, lets just pop it back in the tank shall we, the shopkeeper is looking a bit cross...' ad nauseum.

I stopped going to a favourite riverside/steps haunt, because I couldn't eat my dinner for fear of needing to leap into the river after the unsupervised tots jumping about on the steps.

Spatzenmesse Mon 10-Jun-19 16:10:09

Typos. I’m a lawyer.

thecatneuterer Mon 10-Jun-19 16:10:23

Cats on the street.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »