Talk

Advanced search

Help me prove she's right - find this video

(36 Posts)
dramallamaforamama Fri 24-May-19 01:52:59

My grandmother has had dementia for some time but she has moments of absolute lucidity. My mother, however, insists that things she says during those moments are rubbish. She's wrong. She has form for gaslighting in general but this is getting a bit much...

The last couple of times GM has been lucid, she's told me she remembers a video that I used to watch as a child (I was born in 87 so late 80s/v early 90s). It was a live action sort of thing with real (overly smiley) people singing songs - some nursery rhymes, but also some more current (for then) stuff. I remember this too but I cannot find the video or even its title - can anyone help?

Some of the songs I remember from the video with details:

The sun has got his hat on (one man and one woman singing this both with straw hats that had a hole in the top - when they put them over their face it looked like a smiley sun with the brim as the corona)

Lambeth walk

Boiled beef and carrots

This ole house - sung by a very smoky man next to a sort of cartoon/graphic of a house which kept losing parts

Getting to know you

Underneath the spreading chestnut tree - smiley man wore yellow for this one and kneeled down while some woman sat on his knee

It's a very long shot but I need to prove my poor GM right and get my toxic mother to back down. Anyone ever heard of this?

dramallamaforamama Fri 24-May-19 01:53:22

Smiley - not smoky!!

SpeckofStardust Fri 24-May-19 02:08:11

There used to be a weekly show called the Good Old Days, it was staged like an old time Music Hall variety show, it was set in a theatre, they were costumed in Victorian style and they’d sing those kind of songs. The only other thing I can think of like that would be the Black and White Minstrel Show but tbh I think they both went off the air long before 1987.

HermioneMakepeace Fri 24-May-19 02:10:23

How old are you? Just trying to work out what time period we’re talking about.

HermioneMakepeace Fri 24-May-19 02:10:57

Sorry, just seen when you were born. I’ll have a think...

PissOffPeppa Fri 24-May-19 02:37:10

Not sure it’s the same one but I had a similar VHS at the same time. I remember the box was white with pastel-coloured alphabet blocks, but not the name of it.

Tuesdayrain Fri 24-May-19 02:41:24

Could it have been Rod, Jane and Freddy?

Tuesdayrain Fri 24-May-19 02:45:58

Or Playdays?

Intothe Fri 24-May-19 02:50:22

This might help?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_9FqbFwU6Y

costacoffeecup Fri 24-May-19 03:00:27

My sister was born in 88 and she loved play days, this us the logo

costacoffeecup Fri 24-May-19 03:01:07

Would second the two already mentioned as a starting point!

Decormad38 Fri 24-May-19 03:14:20

Yes I would stay playdays or Rod Jane Freddy too.

StarJumpsandaHalf Fri 24-May-19 03:31:38

Sounds like this

RubberTreePlant Fri 24-May-19 03:47:01

That looks hopeful @StarJumpsandaHalf

StarJumpsandaHalf Fri 24-May-19 03:57:21

I don’t know if they did any more videos or just this one. Think Getting to Know You is on there too, not sure about the other songs. It’s a long video grin

PivotPivotPivottt Fri 24-May-19 04:03:09

Singing Kettle? I loved that as a child, had a few VHS and used to watch them daily much to my mum's despairgrin. I don't recognise any of those songs from it but worth a shot.

frazzledasarock Fri 24-May-19 04:06:13

Clicky link here.

Looks like pp is right, ‘the sun has got his hat on’ song is near the end of the video.

Idontmeanto Fri 24-May-19 05:19:07

Any chance it was the emu in the pink windmill thing?

ItsAHardKn0ckLife1 Fri 24-May-19 05:29:09

Ahh I hope that’s the one ^ 🤞🏻

Shelvesoutofbooks Fri 24-May-19 05:32:24

Why am I still awake? and not sleeping? and on mumsnet looking forward to a random stranger looking for a kids tv show?

ItsAHardKn0ckLife1 Fri 24-May-19 05:49:13

shelves my sentiments exactly grin

Xmas2020 Fri 24-May-19 06:12:58

What will this achieve in the end?

Xmas2020 Fri 24-May-19 06:14:41

Best way to deal with your toxic mum is to ignore her, instead of trying to prove her wrong.

EmmaGrundyForPM Fri 24-May-19 07:13:15

Rod Jane and Freddy was my first thought. Look them up on YouTube.

StarJumpsandaHalf Fri 24-May-19 08:22:12

I just couldn’t sleep last night confused

It’s nice to try and solve a puzzle, especially when it’s to do with childhood memories. Toxic mother or not, it’s very satisfying if you can resolve something that’s bugging you.

Cuppa12345 Fri 24-May-19 08:28:21

Following!

RubberTreePlant Fri 24-May-19 08:29:12

Of course it is.

Miserable buggers could post 'what's the point?' to most MN threads. But it's chatting. What is the point in being a miserable bugger?

Cuppa12345 Fri 24-May-19 08:32:45

Rather than being miserable, I think they are saying that while you might prove to the toxic mum this time, there will be a next time and a next time and dealing long term with this behaviour by ignoring it may be a better solution?

AuntieStella Fri 24-May-19 08:42:25

The good outcome would be for OP and DGM to have a lovely time watching it together, and for DGM to know that his one she was right. And perhaps carers and other people around DGM will also spot what has happened, which might make a bit of difference to how they see things in future.

It probably won't make much difference to the actions of the DMum, unfortunately.

dramallamaforamama Fri 24-May-19 11:51:12

Oh my gosh - @StarJumpsandaHalf that's it!!!

dramallamaforamama Fri 24-May-19 11:51:57

Thanks so mUch guys!! My gran will be so pleased :D

StarJumpsandaHalf Fri 24-May-19 12:58:03

I'm so pleased that's the right one @dramallamaforamama and hope your Granny will enjoy it too.

For what it's worth I had a mother who would gaslight and twist things and did similar to my very elderly granny and my father as well. For my own part I tried not to rise to things she did and said that were personal to me, but felt very protective of my elderly relatives.

dramallamaforamama Fri 24-May-19 15:49:36

Thanks @StarJumpsandaHalf - in doing the same approach - but being about to show my gran that she was right is going to be amazing tomorrow! Hopefully little things like this will help to push my mother back into her box without too much confrontation.

dramallamaforamama Sat 25-May-19 15:31:44

Just wanted to update to day thank you all - my GM was super happy... we watched the whole video! It turned out that that there are two releases - the later release included the extra songs that weren't on the video posted by the lovely Mumsnet detectives - but include "I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush" and "this old house".

Anyway, my Mother walked in halfway through and got a shock. She didn't say a word against anything all visit - mission accomplished!!

Haggisfish Sat 25-May-19 15:37:31

And this is why the internet is brilliant!

StarJumpsandaHalf Sat 25-May-19 15:47:42

I'm so pleased. A bit pleased at your mother's quiet come uppence, but mostly for the nice memory that you're always going to have now @dramallamaforamama.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »