Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or is this not a normal play date activity?

(54 Posts)
ButterflyBitch Thu 16-May-19 20:15:31

My son has been on a play date recently where he and his friend where sucking helium out of birthday balloons. He’s not quite 10.
Is it me or if this odd?
I’ve googled and think it won’t cause harm but it’s not ideal is it? Just a bit baffled that on a normal after school play date this was one of the things they did.
I don’t know whether to mention to the mum or not that I’m not overly happy about it. confused

Gribbie Thu 16-May-19 20:16:20

Harmless fun. Leave them be.

Jammiebammie Thu 16-May-19 20:16:44

My kids have done this, perfectly normal.

CaptainMyCaptain Thu 16-May-19 20:17:19

I don't know if it's harmful but it's very wasteful. The helium is a finite resource needed for MRI scanners among other things.

Boohootoyootoo Thu 16-May-19 20:17:37

Whaaaat??? This is totally normal for 10 year old boys and is probably on the more tame end of what they get up to! You've got some shockers coming if this one gets you worked up! Wait til he's 13!!!

klendraa Thu 16-May-19 20:17:45

I mean-
kids find doing that funny because it’s makes you speak funny/sound funny. I wouldn’t mention it - it doesn’t cause any harm and I’m sure ur son enjoyed it smile

Scion457 Thu 16-May-19 20:18:33

Sounds pretty typical 9/10 year old behaviour and I can’t imagine the mum was hanging around to tell them not to do it. Leave it, no harm done. Tell your DS not to do it again but I can’t image they have a ready supply of helium.

ButterflyBitch Thu 16-May-19 20:23:18

Ok won’t mention it to the mum. I have spoken to him and told him I don’t want him to do it again but you’re right as a one off it should be fine.
I could imagine they’d find it hilarious 🤦🏻‍♀️

RoomR0613 Thu 16-May-19 20:23:38

Sounds normal to me for that age group if there was spare helium balloons flying around. I doubt the parents sat them down and made them do it as a planned activity. At least the helium was getting a second use by keeping them entertained for a bit.

Bluetrews25 Thu 16-May-19 21:38:53

I'm pretty sure that a boy in my DC2s class at school died after inhaling a lot of helium. It was deliberate, sadly.
So I wouldn't encourage this.

droppinglikeflies Thu 16-May-19 21:40:38

Isn’t it dangerous?
I’ve done it before and felt like I was going to pass out.

FiremanKing Thu 16-May-19 21:44:21

I would not encourage this at all.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.delish.com/food-news/news/amp54281/never-suck-helium-out-of-a-balloon/

MondeoFan Thu 16-May-19 21:46:57

Oooohhh no I wouldn't be happy about this but I think I'm in the minority

theSnuffster Thu 16-May-19 21:49:12

I thought it was dangerous? Or maybe my parents told me it was dangerous to stop me from doing it 😂

EinsteinsArousedSausagesHCB Thu 16-May-19 21:51:32

We used to do this a lot as kids, always ok, until one of my cousins passed out. Never did it again after that. Don't let the DC either.

Saying that, as it's a one off, I wouldn't mention it to the other mum. Instead I would explain to the DC that I don't want them to do that in future and why.

littlepeaegg Thu 16-May-19 21:53:28

Oh my god I used to love doing that when I was a kid, it made your voice all silly and high pitched! Come on.

Greenfield19 Thu 16-May-19 21:54:59

I wouldn’t be happy with my kids doing this tbh

Pinkarsedfly Thu 16-May-19 21:56:21

I bought a helium gas canister years ago to blow up balloons for an event. It had a ‘May cause death if inhaled’ warning on it.

I was gutted, because I’d been desperate to try it blush

zippey Thu 16-May-19 21:58:19

I would do this. Supervision is the key. Never done it before though.

Lovemusic33 Thu 16-May-19 22:03:15

I remember doing this as a child 🤣 it was great fun and I’m still alive with no long term effects.

Echobelly Thu 16-May-19 22:03:44

It was pretty normal when I was a kid, if it's not now it's only because parents are more neurotic. I don't see the harm in it.

LadyRannaldini Thu 16-May-19 22:06:50

I don't know if it's harmful but it's very wasteful. The helium is a finite resource needed for MRI scanners among other things

You need a badge on your door, Kiljoy lives here.

bigbadbadger Thu 16-May-19 22:07:18

Helium isn't dangerous but not getting oxygen is! So its fine to have a breath of it and speak in a funny voice but not to glug it for ages. And it should NEVER be taken from the canister directly, that is VERY dangerous.

ineedaknittedhat Thu 16-May-19 22:07:21

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/inhaling-gas-from-helium-balloons-no-laughing-matter-it-can-kill/news-story/4126938014edcc1cac02ae8c7ca2de83

It can kill, so it might not be a good idea to do it.

VioletCharlotte Thu 16-May-19 22:08:59

Totally normal for 10 year old boys. I can remember mine doing this at birthday parties.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »