Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with your evenings?

(42 Posts)
imsoimpatient Thu 16-May-19 10:48:29

How do you spend your evenings? My other half is out all evening and I find myself just sat on the sofa scrolling through fb/mumsnet. I need to find a hobby or something to do but preferably something that doesn't cost too much money.

Bluesheep8 Thu 16-May-19 10:51:49

I speak to family, eat evening meal and go for a walk at this time of year. Then bath and bed at 9pm so I'm probably not very inspiring!

Bluesheep8 Thu 16-May-19 10:52:15

Speak to family on the phone I mean.

OldAndWornOut Thu 16-May-19 10:53:00

Housework, usually.

KittenMittens1 Thu 16-May-19 10:57:48

what are you're interests?

Gym? Knitting? Painting? Drawing? are just a few ideas.

use this time to focus on you, Whether its pampering yourself or going for a walk. its very rare anyone really gets much time to themselves so invest in you.

maybe take a class? learn a new language, try something you always wanted to do? or screw it and netflix binge haha. Do what will make you happy.

Aimily Thu 16-May-19 10:58:22

If its a Tuesday I'm at yoga, any other day of the weeks I'm either reading/watching TV cuddled on the sofa with our dog or in the kitchen (I enjoy baking and am currently batch cooking to freeze in prep for dc1 arrival) .

OH is usually at the gym until 8/half 8 and then we'll have dinner and watch TV or he'll be on his pc (computer gamer)

Not very inspiring either, sorry!

Jappydooda Thu 16-May-19 11:00:25

Muck out/groom horse, then walk the dogs, bit of housework (hoover/dust/tidy one room - do a different room every day), cook tea, watch a bit of telly, then bath and bed.

EmmaStone Thu 16-May-19 11:01:37

There's 4 of us in the house, largely all coming home around 6ish, and the weeks are filled with various child ferrying / adult sports stuff / committee meetings / book club.

In between all of this, telly, Ipading, house admin, cooking dinner. Weekday evenings are exhausting grin

Eatsleepsingrepeat Thu 16-May-19 11:03:20

Look online and find the coaching tool 'Wheel of Life' or something similar. Fill it out and figure out which bits of your life you'd like to work on to bring happiness, and use your time on that. Good luck!

soulrunner Thu 16-May-19 11:06:01

Monday: GOT or run with a friend
Tuesday: Track at running club (but half the time I sack it off)

Other nights I do some admin, might call family,

I also try to have a MOOC on the go, so that takes up a few hours per week.

DulcieRay Thu 16-May-19 11:11:24

Phone a friend or clean up from the day
I've tried to flip my days since being a single parent, so I'm usually tucked up in bed by 9pm, but much busier during the morning.

Harebel Thu 16-May-19 11:11:37

I look up Mumsnet acronyms some evenings wink

Damntheman Thu 16-May-19 11:13:02

If I'm the one in of an evening I knit while I watch TV, I play role-playing games in online forums, I chat with friends online, I play computer games with online friends (using Discord to talk). I also make chain mail and scale mail for giggles, and like to do adult colouring. So many hobbies! Sometimes I just read a book though, for the calm.

Mrsmummy90 Thu 16-May-19 11:21:32

Feed/bath/put down baby with Dh, he goes to play his game for half an hour while I watch random crap and play on my phone, then we watch a film/series together and go to bed. Literally every day.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Thu 16-May-19 11:23:07

I am usually by myself after work as OH works long hours.

I normally walk home from work, cycle to the shops and buy something for tea. Read for a couple of hours, cook, said tea and then go to bed quite early.

purplelass Thu 16-May-19 11:23:28

Gardening, running, catching up with chores, it's easier as the evenings are lighter now...

Gertie75 Thu 16-May-19 11:24:40

Walk the dog, play my Nintendo switch and half watch the telly.

amusedbush Thu 16-May-19 11:29:47

I've been working full time and studying since 2014 so I can't remember what free time feels like grin I did an evening HNC for two years, then my BA part time, now I'm doing my Masters and I plan to do a part time PhD starting next year. Balancing that with work, exercise, seeing friends and family, entertaining the dog and not forgetting what DH looks like keeps me busy.

Whenever I do have an evening off I spend it wrapped in a blanket, staring at my phone or Netflix blush

PolarBearBubbles Thu 16-May-19 11:35:28

Put DC to bed at 7, cook dinner with DH and eat/watch TV/chat for an hour or two, then I head upstairs at 9 for a nice bath, face mask and read a book before bed. Occasionally one of us is out but we're very much homebodies and love a chilled evening!

NoSauce Thu 16-May-19 12:34:20

Walk the dog with DH, iron shirts for DH and DC for the following day, watch tv with a glass of wine.

Theoldwoman Thu 16-May-19 13:08:03

Usually chat with the teens and DH, watch something on Netflix or Foxtel together. Always a load of washing on and do the ironing for the following day.

Fridays evenings DD plays footy.

Megan2018 Thu 16-May-19 13:11:39

I don't get much of an evening Mon-Fri sadly!

Commute home takes and hour and I have my horse to look after (and normally ride when not pregnant), so I am not home until late. By the time we have dinner it is 9pm or later and we go to bed about 10ish as have early starts.

I'd love an evening on the sofa doing naff all!

MaverickSnoopy Thu 16-May-19 13:14:39

Once children and baby are in bed by about 8pm, between us DH and I clear kitchen, make lunches for next day, I express, water garden, unload dishwasher, put washing into machine for the next day, I do paperwork for my business and if not that then meal planning, finances/bills, other general life stuff (respond to emails, order clothes for DC, birthdays, school stuff etc), DH does matched betting as we are skint. Then straight to bed by 11/12 and baby starts their day at 4. Honestly we're on our knees and I am so jealous reading these responses.

managedmis Thu 16-May-19 13:20:21

Do you have kids, op?

imsoimpatient Thu 16-May-19 14:30:13

Thanks that's given me some good ideas smile there's only two of us and it never takes long to do cleaning and tidying etc. so I always have so much time to myself in the evenings. We have a dog but we always walk him together as he's really strong and pulls a lot so it's not enjoyable for me to take him on my own

@managedmis no I don't have children.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »