Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for kind little things I can do for DH?

(23 Posts)
TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Thu 16-May-19 09:12:37

DH is a very kind and lovely man (not a stealth boast as I believe all partners should be!)

He is having a tough time at the moment as I have health issues meaning has to ideally be at home with me, especially as certain times of day. He has changed his work hours to an (almost) night shift and had to drop hours so we have less money. I know he is tired as he also does lots for the DC (and my family!) some of which I cannot do, or I would do it myself. He looks tired but never ever complains (actually I wish he would sometimes!)

We don't really have any spare money. I have been trying to look after him and show my appreciation with little things like making him coffee in bed at the weekends and recording TV stuff I know he would like and I find extremely boring grin

I'm just conscious of the fact he really is responsible for everything we used to share between us. I can't change this but I want to show my appreciation and acknowledge how much he does.

Does anyone have any ideas, ideally that don't cost money? I already stroke his head at night and scratch his back for him which is his favourite thing smile

peridito Thu 16-May-19 09:39:22

What a kind thought ,you both sound lovely and I'm so sorry you're not well .

We need to know more about your DH I think ..to help us come up with ideas .Though what you're doing already sounds pretty thoughtful!

At the moment all I can think of is leaving him little notes of praise/appreciation/affection in unusual places ,maybe inside a drawer or in a pocket of his clothing or wallet or something .Though I don't know how mobile you are and if that's possible .

Hope other more imaganitive posters will come along .

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Thu 16-May-19 09:53:26

Thanks for replying smile I'm quite mobile, I can't do long distances but can get to local shops. Also have DC who help with stuff like that.

He is actually quite hard to be kind to as he doesn't actually like much grin I think he would like the notes but he's the kind of person that notices nothing and empties random shit out of his pockets every three months or so, so they might not get seen!

He does like astronomy/space stuff. He also is an artist so I'd like to buy him supplies but wouldn't know where to start and I think they are £££ as he does save up/eBay stuff for this type of stuff. He doesn't get much time to draw atm so I'd really like to free him up some time, but can't see how to do it!

Leeds2 Thu 16-May-19 11:21:42

Plan, and do, a BBQ for him and the DC at the weekend. Make sure you have some of his favourite beer!
Prepare a posh afternoon tea, and serve it on your best China so that it feels like a special occasion.
Buy him a bar of his favourite chocolate.
Get fish and chips and eat them outside.
Take him to the cinema.
Bake his favourite cake.

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Thu 16-May-19 12:16:21

Oooh a way to a man's heart and all that... grin

Good ideas thank you, especially the cake. I have heart shaped cake tins so I may make a red velvet one this weekend.

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Thu 16-May-19 12:17:14

I'm also trying to think of a way to sign into his Amazon account to see his drawing supplies wishlist grin

Smellbow Thu 16-May-19 12:22:23

I don't know if you already have Sky/streaming, but I like drawing and painting and just signed up for a Now TV entertainment pass so I could watch Sky Portrait/Landscape Artist of the Year and have been really enjoying it. I think once the next series is out, I will pay for a month's pass to watch. I am hoping that cancelling won't be too complicated.

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Thu 16-May-19 18:49:49

Ooh smellbow we have just finished Portrait Artist, I do love it. DH does portraits funnily enough (he is talented and has sold some) so I've been trying to get him to enter it.

One thing we do have is Sky as I have a really good deal for it and spend so much time in the house it's money well spent. I think that's why I feel so guilty as well, I have so much time to myself and know DH should have more! I'm hoping when exam season finishes it'll be a bit more relaxed.

Some nice ideas here. I'll definitely make cake at the weekend.

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Thu 16-May-19 18:51:10

Do you use Instagram smellbow? DH could spend hours looking at drawings on there.

OldAndWornOut Thu 16-May-19 18:52:07

smile
What a lovely thread to read.

BlueMerchant Thu 16-May-19 19:00:10

Run him a bath ready for when he finishes work then give him a foot massage while he watches something you have recorded for him. You could get him some of his favourite snacks in as a surprise.
Could you write a poem about how much you appreciate him or even a letter and send it to him by post? Would be a suprisesmile

Smellbow Thu 16-May-19 20:53:58

Ah yes, art on Instagram, or as I like to call it, the time vortex.

Maybe you think you have more stuff for you and he thinks he has everything he needs ...

It's a lovely thought though. You both sound lucky. Let us know if he's on the Portrait programme grin

JemimaPDuck Thu 16-May-19 20:59:44

Hide a tube of smarties in his work bag. I also leave little notes under his pillow or in his case if one of us is going away

Atalune Thu 16-May-19 21:03:20

Send him funny texts.

Breakfast in bed. Always a winner.

When the sun shines plonk him in a sun chair and give him the Sunday papers.

Head massage.

Put on his favourite music and have a kitchen disco with the kids.

Tryingtogetitright Thu 16-May-19 21:05:59

Make him a photo album from all the digital photos you have trapped on phones etc? There seem to be quite a lot of apps where prints are free and you just pay postage.

Make him a playlist/mix tape of his favourite songs?

Stompythedinosaur Thu 16-May-19 21:06:12

Pop a hot water Bottle in his bed if it is chilly for when he comes back from night shift.

Prep food to take to work - doesn't have to be anything special. Maybe pop in a note to say how much you appreciate him.

Tryingtogetitright Thu 16-May-19 21:07:48

On a clear night sit outside under blankets and watch the stars together?

boringlyboring Thu 16-May-19 21:10:54

Does he have a ‘private’ space in the house to draw?

Can you create one for him, maybe over a few weeks or so pick some cheapish supplies up (sorry I’ve no idea about art so don’t know if you can get cheap good stuff, but maybe freecycle is worth a shot too, if anyone can tell you what’s good?). You could set up a little corner as a suprise where he can retreat to for a couple of hours on a Sunday, maybe.

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Fri 17-May-19 08:03:43

Oooh lots more good ideas smile

Now you see this is how difficult he is, he hates baths and if I tried to touch his feet he would probably divorce me grin

He doesn't have time to eat or drink in work <sigh> but I could leave chocolate etc in the car, that's a nice idea. I could do a playlist too and know his passcode to save it on his phone. I do text him pictures of artwork or tattoos he might like.

I have bought him a telescope in the past and might insist we take it out with hot chocolate at the weekend, that would be nice. It's hard to arrange trips out as he has to drive and I'm trying to reduce the amount of chauffeuring everyone around he has to do!

Sadly our small house is crammed full of teenagers and their giant shoes, bags and hoodies seem to fill every available space hmm I would absolutely love to get him a tilted drawing desk thing but just cannot think where to fit it in. I might start a new thread on drawing supplies recommendations though.

I shall try and persuade him to enter the portrait competition!

Atalune Fri 17-May-19 08:52:27

What about an easel that you stand at? Or just a drawing board? You cab use them on your lap.

aurynne Fri 17-May-19 09:50:38

Every now and then I cut spare pieces of paper into heart shapes, I draw a funny face on each and a message for him and hide the heart in a place I know he will eventually find it: under his pillow, inside the book he is reading, on one of the beer bottles... I once left one under the toilet's seat.

He loves it. Never fails to melt his heart.

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Fri 17-May-19 09:51:25

He has got one of those tables people eat TV dinners off that goes over your lap if you sit on the sofa. I would like a desk as he is incredibly tall so keeps slouching over. I'm trying to work out if I love him so much I would sacrifice one of my bookcases grin

TheGrassIsSeveralShadesOfBlue Fri 17-May-19 09:54:04

Aurynne that's very cute and your toilet seat is obviously very clean, I'm impressed grinI have been known to what's app DH pictures of the cat with little captions telling him how much the cat loves him blush So glad I namechanged for this wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »