Talk

Advanced search

Just a reminder- you can’t ban abortion..

(109 Posts)
BertrandRussell Wed 15-May-19 17:32:46

...you can only ban safe abortion.

Nikhedonia Wed 15-May-19 18:11:31

But you criminalise it.

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-May-19 18:12:25

A reminder?

MockerstheFeManist Wed 15-May-19 18:21:58

You certainly can't ban God's Holy Miscarriages, not to mention the vast majority of ferilized ova that fail to implant or get flushed away early.

Sexual reproduction is a very wasteful process, almost as if it came about by random mutant happenstance rather than some eternal plan.

Still, Every Sperm Is Sacred:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

ThatLibraryMiss Wed 15-May-19 18:25:23

Aimed at the all-male group of 25 senators in Alabama who've passed a bill banning abortion under any circumstances except in cases where the mother's life is at serious risk. Incest and rape are not excepted.

HPLikecraft Wed 15-May-19 18:26:30

You mean the inevitable growth of backstreet/diy abortion in such circumstances?
It’s a horrific to think that some women may be reduced to this, and all the dangers that this entails. sad

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 15-May-19 18:28:08

As soon as possible, as late as necessary, for all women, in any circumstance.

BertrandRussell Wed 15-May-19 19:20:19

“As soon as possible, as late as necessary, for all women, in any circumstances”
Yep.

MangoFeverDream Wed 15-May-19 20:35:44

As soon as possible, as late as necessary, for all women, in any circumstance

Hate this phrase. I’m fighting for reasonable laws, which is what most civilized countries have.

Don’t lose sight of this for some dumb slogan that doesn’t describe any current law or legal situation on the planet. Well, maybe just China.

Langrish Wed 15-May-19 20:38:04

“ in any circumstance”

Not entirely comfortable with that, but otherwise yes.

DantesInferno Wed 15-May-19 20:38:14

^As soon as possible, as late as necessary, for all women, in any circumstance^

Hate this phrase. I’m fighting for reasonable laws, which is what most civilized countries have.

Don’t lose sight of this for some dumb slogan that doesn’t describe any current law or legal situation on the planet. Well, maybe just China

biscuit

Its not a fucking dumb slogan, it's what it should be

TeacupDrama Wed 15-May-19 20:48:14

popular opinion is generally pro early before 12 week abortions; it is also generally very anti late ( past 26-30weeks) abortions unless mothers life is in danger, there is very very little support for abortions to term for any reason
between 12-26 weeks public support varies dropping dramatically at what is seen as the point at which a live birth may survive around 22 weeks
there is little general support for abortions on the grounds of the sex of baby and not much support for abortions for social reasons beyond 16-20 weeks

Windygate Wed 15-May-19 20:48:34

I worked with the 'results' of back street abortions, it was utterly grim. Bertrandrussell is spot on. You can't ban abortion, you can live with the implications of unsafe abortion.

MangoFeverDream Wed 15-May-19 20:52:36

Its not a fucking dumb slogan

No civilized country would allow abortion without limit to whenever term for whatever reason. Viability has always been a good standard in the US.

It’s access that’s the big issue in states like Alabama, not the legal limit. They’ve been able to chip away at access again and again, right under our noses.

but it just doesn’t make for a great slogan tho....🙄

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 15-May-19 20:59:25

It's not a dumb slogan, it's what I believe in.
I'm alive because I was able to have an abortion at 23+5 for "social reasons". I fucking hate that term.

BertrandRussell Wed 15-May-19 21:04:39

““ in any circumstance”

Not entirely comfortable with that, but otherwise yes”

I’m not comfortable with it either- but i’m even less comfortable with the alternative.

Passthecherrycoke Wed 15-May-19 21:07:26

“No civilized country would allow abortion without limit to whenever term for whatever reason.”

Yea they could- there’s a difference between banning/ allowing and regulating. Why not leave the decision with medical professionals who have knowledge of the woman and her situation? Why allow that decision to be taken by law makers?

Mrscaindingle Wed 15-May-19 21:10:02

I’m not comfortable with it either- but i’m even less comfortable with the alternative

This

Peregrina Wed 15-May-19 21:11:58

Aimed at the all-male group of 25 senators in Alabama who've passed a bill banning abortion under any circumstances except in cases where the mother's life is at serious risk.

And you can bet your life if they got their mistresses pregnant and didn't want their wives to find out, they would be the first to find somewhere for the mistress to have the abortion.

MangoFeverDream Wed 15-May-19 21:12:33

It's not a dumb slogan, it's what I believe in

You may believe in it, but it’s not the legal standard anywhere.

MrsKCastle Wed 15-May-19 21:12:39

As soon as possible, as late as necessary, for all women, in any circumstance.

I’m not comfortable with it either- but i’m even less comfortable with the alternative.

Yes, this.

If only we could improve society to a point where all women had easy access to free, reliable contraception, MAP and early abortion. If we supported DV victims appropriately and dealt with the abusers. If we improved our benefits and health care systems so women who wanted to continue a pregnancy could do so.

Then maybe there wouldn't be the need, or the demand for later abortions.

Until then, it is needed.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 15-May-19 21:17:54

Maybe the women of America need to refuse to have sex with a fertile man unless they are trying for a baby. After all, contraception is not 100%. I imagine that would focus a lot of male minds on the issue pretty quickly.

Crustaceans Wed 15-May-19 21:19:00

I’m not convinced by ‘in any circumstance’ because, setting aside any other issues I might personally have, I do not think a woman being coerced into an abortion by an abusive partner is a good thing. And that would still fall within ‘any circumstance’.

Passthecherrycoke Wed 15-May-19 21:19:43

That would be for the doctor to decide, not a blanket law crustaceans

MangoFeverDream Wed 15-May-19 21:19:57

Because that can lead to gross abuses Pass and as we know with trans issues, doctors are not infallible. Look up the case of Dr Kermit Gosnell if you need further evidence of this.

You should watch the documentary After Tiller, if you haven’t already. Doctors should not be put in the position of making these very difficult decisions on their own, and they do lament being gatekeepers because Congress is too cowardly to legalize abortion with a federal law.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: