Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to get really fit/toned from home workouts?

(54 Posts)
losenotloose Sun 12-May-19 14:39:50

I'm doing lots of classes at the moment but resent the time wasted on travelling! I'd like to incorporate some home workouts but do you think they are as effective as classes?

HappyPunky Sun 12-May-19 14:41:31

Depends on the workout. Try the 30 day shred.

StealthPolarBear Sun 12-May-19 14:42:48

If I do the shred even for a week I get very fit and roned for me. That's probably a hell of a lot less toned than the average person wpuld like to be

losenotloose Sun 12-May-19 14:44:52

I've started doing the shred on the days I haven't got to the gym. It does seem a pretty intense workout for twenty minutes but is it enough?

Loopytiles Sun 12-May-19 14:45:59

If you stick to it, sure!

I find self motivation for home workouts tricky. Getting started. When have booked a class, have to go or someone else will have missed out, and get fined, and there is a friendly, hard working group which is motivating.

When I can’t or don’t want to fit in a schedule I just go jogging.

Loopytiles Sun 12-May-19 14:46:37

Don’t know about Shred, I mean home workouts in general.

LolaSmiles Sun 12-May-19 14:48:57

It relies on you sticking to it.
It also relies on the self discipline to do the full reps / time and push yourself rather than taking the easy option.

babysharkah Sun 12-May-19 15:29:09

You can do powerwave at home, if you're motivated enough. AMAZING for toning.

losenotloose Sun 12-May-19 16:02:29

baby what is powerwave?! I'm happy to just go for a jog but I don't think it's the best exercise for what I want (a firmer, rounder arse!)

ChristineBaskets Thu 16-May-19 10:50:08

I've been doing daily Hasfit routines on YouTube for about two months and I can see the difference in my arms and bum already. I only do the beginner ones and I alternate between a routine with weights and just body weight. I've improved so much since I started, I used to really struggle and made a lot of noise to begin with! grin

Drinkandknowthings Thu 16-May-19 11:06:14

Not me but DH went from 3 stone overweight to having an impressive 6 pack without ever setting foot in a gym. He did Beachbody workouts, starting with T25. He also ran. (He also did intermittent fasting)

EmmaStone Thu 16-May-19 11:08:33

I think so, especially if you know what you're doing, and you can motivate yourself.

I use Fitness Blender workouts, and also have a few circuits workouts I've devised which reflect a circuits class I try to do weekly. I've got a set of 3 dumbbells and a kettlebell, plus some resistance bands.

Damntheman Thu 16-May-19 11:17:15

Working out isn't about time spent on it, but how well put together it is and how well it works your body. 20 minus is absolutely enough if it's a good work out and you're dedicated enough to stick to it!

Teddybear45 Thu 16-May-19 11:21:24

Yes if you use weights, run, and follow a program that tells you exactly what to do. Not if you half-heartedly follow a fitness video.

FlorencesHunger Thu 16-May-19 11:22:51

I got pretty toned a couple yrs ago, motivation started after some occupational therapy for sciatica but the exercises got boring so started incorporating more by using YouTube but mostly just doing what I wanted for 15-30mins per day and sometimes going to a class once or twice a week. It can be done.

Ive put on weight recently and feel a bit meh so signed up to a 90 plan to get me kickstarted.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Thu 16-May-19 11:24:05

I got fed up with going to the gym and classes so just bought myself some kettle bells and weights from Argos and do it myself in my own time. It's much better, I think.

breakfastpizza Thu 16-May-19 11:40:42

30 Day Shred will give noticeable results in a month.

lessnoisepls Thu 16-May-19 12:34:00

Yeah absolutely, Tone and Sculpt app is pretty good.

Most of these fitness apps have a week free trial - so you could do that see how you get on.

If you want to work on your bum, buy some weights!! xx

Fairylea Thu 16-May-19 12:37:04

I think you have to really make yourself stick to it - it’s very easy to do 10 mins and then think fuck that I’ll just go and have a kit kat instead grinblush

When I really go for it the body coach 10-15 min workouts are very good. I can really feel the muscles in my legs and arms aching the next day the same way as they feel when I’ve done an hour of dance cardio etc!

wendz86 Thu 16-May-19 12:48:51

I also find the 30 day shred definitely helps me be a bit more toned.

Illiantium Thu 16-May-19 12:52:36

First time I did the shred I couldn't barely hold myself in the push up position but by day 30 I was doing powerful push ups no problem. I was much fitter and stronger and seriously improved my stamina again.

I am on day 3 again now (after pregnancy) and can already feel myself getting stronger.

EyeDrops Thu 16-May-19 13:55:49

Can anyone recommend a YouTube fitness course that's suitable for postnatal? I'm 14 weeks pp and very unfit, I want results but not to damage myself!

FiremanKing Thu 16-May-19 14:07:41

I have a legmaster which is brilliant and my legs are as good as they were thirty years ago. I’m in my fifties.

Purpleraindeer Thu 16-May-19 14:15:46

Yes you can definitely get super fit and strong from these programmes. I do the beachbody ones and they were the only form of exercise I could practically do when I was a SAHP with 2 under 2. They’re amazing. I’ve never been fitter. You do need to be motivated to stick with it, but once you start to see and feel the changes that’s motivation in itself!

beenandgoneandbackagain Thu 16-May-19 14:20:22

As St. Jillian says during the Shred workout - 20 minutes of effort beats hours of "phoning it in" at the gym.

It's about what you put into it.

Shred is awesome. I scaled down to Body Coach during the winter months and I've noticed that I have lost a lot of tone compared to when I was doing Shred or other Jillian workouts. I also notice that I'm a lot more toned than my work colleagues who go to the gym, I suspect because I do a hard workout every day for 30 minutes and not just once or twice a week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: