Talk

Advanced search

Would you have said something to this queue jumper?

(47 Posts)
mary91 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:10:58

Or the staff?

I was queuing in my local newsagents with my ds who was getting quite fidgety when a lady came in and walked straight to the till. She had a basket of items and looked at me and then to the cashier and said ' oh is that the queue?'

I began to walk forward and to my surprise the cashier, and manager ( who was also there) replied ' no my dear, your absolutely fine where you are'

Ok so I thought the manager would sign on the other till and serve me and maybe apologise as I had been waiting a few minutes already. But no he just walked off.

I was really annoyed by this and put my paper down and walked out.

I'm regretting not saying anything to either the woman who pushed in or the staff. They all knew I was waiting and all I had was a paper and she had a basket of items.

What would you have done ?

MaryTeenOfScots Fri 26-Apr-19 09:21:28

I'd be annoyed too OP. More than once I've been in a queue at a café when someone else has just gone ahead of me. Maybe it wasn't clear enough that I was waiting, but I'm not sure why else I'd be hanging around the till with my purse out...

I've also had people come up and interrupt me while I'm ordering, asking about their order or wanting something. It's so rude!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 26-Apr-19 09:30:33

I'd be more annoyed with the staff. Dismissing the other customers, like they don't matter, and letting her usher herself to front. Is she Queen or something. I'd have said. "No She's not fine where she is. She can wait like we all have to"
I've had it the other way though. I was in the queue. Some women was behind me and as I was about to walk forward to be served. She taps me on the shoulder which makes me seethe anyway and says "Go on you can go before me.". As though she was doing me a favor. grin
"Oh" I said. "That's very kind of you". Seeing as I was infront of her anyway.

Hanumantelpiece Fri 26-Apr-19 09:44:37

I'd have politely said "Yes, this is the queue." and also said to the cashier "actually I am next to be served, and then this lady."
No point standing there fuming.

dustarr73 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:46:37

@mary91 did you say anything when you finally got served.

BossAssBitch Fri 26-Apr-19 12:17:06

Hell yes grin

TroysMammy Fri 26-Apr-19 15:25:15

I was next in the queue in WH Smiths the other day magazine in hand rummaging in my bag for my purse and this man walked in front of me. I said "excuse me I'm next". To which he replied "I asked you if you were in the queue" . I advised him I was hard of hearing (which I am), why would I be standing where I was and as the only cashier was already serving someone then he'd have to wait. CF.

BingandFlop2019 Sat 27-Apr-19 01:31:09

Is this really discussion worthy? It's life! It happens! Don't sweat the small stuff - relax 👍🏻

CarolDanvers Sat 27-Apr-19 01:41:10

Well thirty people seem to think so @BingandFlop2019.

mouldyhousemouldylife Sat 27-Apr-19 02:39:14

I'd have said something too. Fucking hate this

mouldyhousemouldylife Sat 27-Apr-19 02:43:36

@BingandFlop2019 We're in chat, not trauma. Anything goes. Since when were you in charge of policing general discussion?

RosemaryHoight Sat 27-Apr-19 02:53:46

I would and have said oh are you pushing in front, that's not a very nice thing to do to. Or if I walk out.

julensaor Sat 27-Apr-19 03:26:09

I always say something to queue jumpers, as long as you hold the attitude that you are not in a rush, not that bothered but have a principle then you will win every time. For example, I would always let an elderly person through or offer it to someone with a few items or offer it to someone with a small basket, I will always pull a CF queue jumper though (but still offer to let them through if they are that bothered) but not once have they gone through before me after that - it's all in the way you say it OP.

Decormad38 Sat 27-Apr-19 03:34:50

It seems odd to me that a person would do that. We’re you not looking like you were queuing for some reason?

RebootYourEngine Sat 27-Apr-19 04:13:48

Queue jumpers are a pet hate of mine. I will say something 99.9% of the time.

I was once at the front of a very long queue when someone decided to jump in front. I piped up and said that there was a queue and I was next. The cashier and the queue jumper both gave me a dirty look and carried on serving him. I don't go in that place anymore.

SnuggyBuggy Sat 27-Apr-19 05:56:50

That's what I'm wondering, that you appeared to just be dithering and not actually queueing. Sometimes it is really hard to tell

mary91 Sat 27-Apr-19 07:38:28

Thank you for your replies. I haven't had chance to read them all yet but for the posters asking if I was noticeably queuing, yes I was. I began to push the pram towards the till point as the previous person walked off.

In future I will say something if this happens again. I am probably more annoyed with the staff prioritising certain customers over others.

mary91 Sat 27-Apr-19 07:39:35

@BingandFlop2019 I do think it's discussion worthy. That is why I started the thread.

Fedupwithchemist Sat 27-Apr-19 07:59:36

I had this in a long queue for a limited number of tickets. CF arrived, scanned the queue and chose me to push in front of (mostly men in queue). She then edged in and struck up a conversation with man in front of me to suggest they were together. I knew they weren’t - he was clean and tidy wearing natural fibres, she was in polyester from greasy head to toe.

Anyway, her mate joined her and was panicking about length of queue and whether they’d get tickets. Mate bizarrely then turned to me and asked what time tickets I was hoping for. I replied “well hopefully not the same as you”. She commented on my apparent rudeness, I explained CF was ruder. She looked at CF for back up, CF looked mortified to be called out on it, froze and said nothing, leaving her mate floundering. It may very well have ruined their friendship smile.

MaisondeChats Sat 27-Apr-19 08:02:32

My DH would have - he can't stand it. Which is weird because he's not usually one to confront things. I remember one particularly awkward game of mini golf where someone went in front of us - we weren't being slow they just decided to try
And be clever and jump ahead to the next hole as it was free but then had to come back to catch up on the hole they'd missed and expected to still be ahead of us. We had to go round the rest of the course with them right behind us!

BingandFlop2019 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:05:05

@mouldyhousemouldylife Since when was asking a question classed as "policing?!" 🤣

I just find it odd that such mundane things which aren't that huge of a deal, are over analysed these days. Things we've all managed to ignore and let go for decades. It's as though as soon as any person even slightly steps out of line it's like SHOCKER!!! I can't believe this! I must tell people!

Ratbagratty Sat 27-Apr-19 14:29:22

I have a problem with this from the other side, sometimes I look up and two people standing either side of each other, expect to be served next. I now ask before starting "who's next?" Works most of the time. But even if I have a customer with a basket full and the next had a paper I would ask basket customer if I could quickly serve paper customer.

NannyRed Sat 27-Apr-19 14:30:38

Yes. Shirt answer ‘*yes*’

Why did you let her queue jump?

Too late now, so ...... let it go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »