Talk

Advanced search

Things that have shocked me as a cleaner

(264 Posts)
CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 19:54:45

I have 15 clients a week

95% use ‘disposable ‘ wipes

90% don’t recycle (I root through their bins & recycle but it’s obviously only 1 day a week)

KindergartenKop Thu 25-Apr-19 19:56:14

That's bad. It's not that hard to wash cloths and put your bottles out separately.

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 25-Apr-19 19:57:11

The state and smell of some pillows and mattresses. People clearly not washing themselves often and not using mattress and pillow protectors. The smell! Ugh.

camelfinger Thu 25-Apr-19 19:57:38

Do you think they clean before you arrive? I’m often embarrassed about the state of our house before our cleaner arrives. But it is tidy, just has crumbs etc and bits in the sink.

Wescreamforicecream Thu 25-Apr-19 20:00:10

God I always clean before my cleaner comes 🤦🏻‍♀️🙈 I often hoover etc and ask her to do jobs I hate (for example wiping down all the kitchen cupboards or doing the skirting boards) is that awful? Genuine question as dh thinks she is there to do basic cleaning and that i might annoy her by asking her to do my 'once a week jobs (fortnight🙈)

CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 20:00:58

Definitely do not clean before I arrive.
Sometimes I think they think ‘oh cleaningsiscovery is coming in 3 days so I don’t need to do ANY washing up’

solomonsfish85 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:02:33

Not a full time cleaner but I helped out a friend a few times and I was always shocked at how clean the houses i was cleaning were! They were really clean and organised already. I found it hard to see what actually needed cleaning!

Catchingbentcoppers Thu 25-Apr-19 20:03:41

I've a cleaner starting tomorrow for the first time.

I recycle and don't use disposable wipes. Please tell me she won't be horrified with me!

CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 20:03:45

Some houses do seem pristine but I always approach every room as if it’s not IYSWIM ?

99calmbeforethestorm Thu 25-Apr-19 20:03:57

You go through your clients bins!

CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 20:05:44

@Catchingbentcoppers - she’ll be delighted.
I’m just shocked in this day & age of blocked sewers & plastic pollution how many people still don’t recycle & use wipes

Still18atheart Thu 25-Apr-19 20:06:21

Probably a whole new thread. Love ona street of 10 houses as far as I can see I.e putting recycling out on recycling days we are the only household who recycle

CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 20:07:11

@99calmbeforethestorm - I empty a bin in all rooms - they are ‘open’ bins & easy to pull out newspapers, milk bottles etc

Livedandlearned Thu 25-Apr-19 20:07:51

Mine don't like to flush their toilet before my arrival.

MalevolentPrawn Thu 25-Apr-19 20:08:17

If people using disposable wipes is really that shocking to you I would respectfully venture that you have had a pretty sheltered life. "There are much worse things in heaven and earth Horatio". (My paraphrase)

CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 20:13:37

@MalevolentPrawn - they are unnecessary & just another fad

Fatbergs – those revolting sewer mountains made of wet wipes, grease and other gunk – have been cropping up all over the place in the past year or so, from London and Cardiff to Staffordshire and most recently Devon.

Research shows that wet wipes actually make up more than 90% of the material that causes fatbergs and other sewer blockages.

Dyrne Thu 25-Apr-19 20:14:14

I confess I use disposable wipes occasionally - but that’s because I fucking hate cleaning and it’s one more thing to make the shit job slightly easier. If I had a cleaner i’d definitely have spray and fancy eco cloths as it’s not me having to use them grin

It’s a bit off those who are mocking their clients though - they’ve trusted you to enter their homes, surely you should respect their privacy and not mock their hygiene on a public forum? hmm

Dyrne Thu 25-Apr-19 20:14:58

(I will say I don’t flush the wipes obviously, they go in the bin!)

Catchingbentcoppers Thu 25-Apr-19 20:16:10

I absolutely agree OP, disposable wipes are completely unnecessary and a massive environmental problem. Sadly, many people just don't give a shit.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 25-Apr-19 20:16:11

It's not public confused We have no idea who the OP or clients are

Shouldn't we be more concerned at the wipes and no recycling?

I'm completely shocked by that

Dippypippy1980 Thu 25-Apr-19 20:18:48

I have been toying with the idea of gettting a cleaner. Don’t think I will now - oh the judgement😂😂

Easterbunnyhashoppedoff Thu 25-Apr-19 20:18:48

One of my customers leaves his lube collection on his bedside table...

ReanimatedSGB Thu 25-Apr-19 20:21:21

Wot, no tales of exciting sex toys left on display?

Catchingbentcoppers Thu 25-Apr-19 20:22:19

i’d definitely have spray and fancy eco cloths as it’s not me having to use them

But you still have to wipe everything even if you're using wipes - the only difference is a quick spray!

slithytove Thu 25-Apr-19 20:24:48

Our cleaner would prob think we don’t recycle, but we split the bedroom/bathroom bins into recycling once we take them downstairs... don’t want 2 bins in each room.

We do use wipes though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: