Talk

Advanced search

Things that have shocked me as a cleaner

(264 Posts)
CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 19:54:45

I have 15 clients a week

95% use ‘disposable ‘ wipes

90% don’t recycle (I root through their bins & recycle but it’s obviously only 1 day a week)

SchadenfreudePersonified Sat 04-May-19 10:16:20

Tut, tut, condoms! Single use plastic!

We can but hope . . . .

tanpestryfirescreen Fri 03-May-19 13:39:32

Terrible bloody things. They should be banned. Along with 4 by 4s. I can tell that's gonna be popular.

I clean by 4 by 4 with disposable wipes- inside and out. I use unicorn tears as an additional deep clean product.

tanpestryfirescreen Fri 03-May-19 13:36:35

Chopin what laundry? Not his condoms hopefully?

Drying out and reusing a condom must be environmentally friendly?

pineapplebryanbrown Fri 03-May-19 13:00:03

Chopin what laundry? Not his condoms hopefully?

ChopinIn10Minuets Mon 29-Apr-19 18:41:17

I did hear about a distant family connection who once came to stay with my GPs and hung his, er, 'laundry' on the pipe leading up to the hot water heater...envy

SihtricsHorseWitnere Mon 29-Apr-19 14:16:21

Tut, tut, condoms! Single use plastic!

Catchingbentcoppers Mon 29-Apr-19 11:40:39

@onegiftedgal I never, at any point, said I was the only one with health issues. In fact, I didn't mention it at all until your post and if you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I am one of the posters who said that I thought disposable wipes were awful and never use them.

However, I was rude and I apologise.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 29-Apr-19 11:06:02

Shame on anyone for judging how people live in their own homes, especially if you're paid by them anyone who leaves used condoms around for someone else to clean up deserves to be judged.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Mon 29-Apr-19 11:01:27

Shame on those who cannot be bothered to make even the slightest effort to reduce their waste.

Li11iput Mon 29-Apr-19 10:29:17

Shame on anyone for judging how people live in their own homes, especially if you're paid by them.

onegiftedgal Mon 29-Apr-19 10:08:41

@Catchingbentcoppers
Thanks for that. You're not the only one experiencing health issues though.
You have a cleaner because you need the help, of course that is fine.
But those who can only survive through having a cleaner and are STILL using mountains of wipes ARE lazy and the type of people who are destroying this planet.
I have no idea why non degradable wipes of any type have not been banned though.

RiversDisguise Mon 29-Apr-19 09:10:58

She was being ironic.

Catchingbentcoppers Mon 29-Apr-19 09:02:13

Because the people who have cleaners are lazy bastards who don't give a shit about the planet.

Fuck you @onegiftedgal. I have cancer and not up to much right now. And I want to live in a clean house while I go through this shit experience. I do hope that's ok with you up there on your high horse.

riverislands Mon 29-Apr-19 08:54:26

Do not use wet wipes!!

Plumbers are not overly expensive round here- £120 a day. But my bill when my DD used wetwipes a couple of years ago was £360 . Yes, 3 days to clear wetwipes, and tiles had to be broken, a pipe through the bathroom wall moved, and finally a day to access drains in the garden. Even power hoses and dynarod can't help with them.

So use them at your peril. It certainly taught me a lesson.

scaryteacher Mon 29-Apr-19 08:41:18

Onegifted How does having a cleaner equate to not caring about the planet?

user1487194234 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:23:13

Yes that's me smile

onegiftedgal Sun 28-Apr-19 18:51:30

Because the people who have cleaners are lazy bastards who don't give a shit about the planet.

ElectricDreamz Sun 28-Apr-19 14:16:25

Yes, all Scandinavian countries have a higher suicide rate than GB does

NewAccount270219 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:12:48

Now I wonder as Scandinavians are supposed to have superior mental health is this why they keep their homes clean?

Their higher suicide rates are a bit unhelpful to your argument here but never mind, you crack on with your mad, sexist theory.

annabelindajane Sun 28-Apr-19 14:03:03

Suspect they think the same about British men’s cleaning abilities too😂

longearedbat Sun 28-Apr-19 13:24:58

Reading this, it strikes me that some people are bordering on obsessive about germs.
I had my own cleaning business for years. I had a couple of customers that I eventually gave up on because of their dirty habits. When, every week you clean the same thing that has been left disgusting, leaving it looking pristine, to find exactly the same thing the next week, you begin to think that, if they don't care, why should you?
I also found that people who didn't have bog brushes often had shit stained loos, and week old dried shit is a bugger to remove.
Not much shocked or surprised me, except moths! Quite often I would take on a new customer and discover a massive carpet moth infestation. You'd move a piece of furniture and find a few telltale holes, then you'd start investigating further and find the casings stuck to the walls, and of course, actual moths flying about. One poor woman (it was a one off deep clean) - I was in a spare bedroom, saw evidence of moths and started moving the furniture so that I could get a better look. The carpet under each piece of furniture that i could actually shift was eaten back to the backing weave. She was horrified when I showed her. It was the worst moth damage I have ever seen
I am now always on the lookout in my house, just in case!

ILoveMaxiBondi Sun 28-Apr-19 13:15:02

My Scandinavian friends think British house wives are quite slobby and a French girlfriend said same thing.

What to they say about the housekeeping skills of British men? Or Scandinavian men?

SihtricsHorseWitnere Sun 28-Apr-19 12:26:35

My Scandinavian friends think British house wives are quite slobby and a French girlfriend said same thing.

Yes, men are simply incapable of keeping their own habitat clean. hmm

annabelindajane Sun 28-Apr-19 12:20:58

We are all responsible for the planet, no excuses . Suspect excuses are made by those who know deep down that they should take more care. The rest of us do what we can. Wipes should not be flushed down loos . You can keep cloths clean by leaving in a small Milton or similar filled lidded bucket out of harm somewhere if you don’t want to wash them. My Scandinavian friends think British house wives are quite slobby and a French girlfriend said same thing. Now I wonder as Scandinavians are supposed to have superior mental health is this why they keep their homes clean? The people I know who can’t, wont don’t clean ( apart from students) are often very stressed and not overly happy.

Great post - enjoyed it

SapphireBattersea Sun 28-Apr-19 11:15:09

Ha ha I’ve never watched flea bag @paulhollywoodssexgut (horrific user name by the way, I hate Paul Hollywood and so it makes me feel slightly ill)

Perhaps I Should 😆

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »