Talk

Advanced search

Things that have shocked me as a cleaner

(264 Posts)
CleaningDiscoveries Thu 25-Apr-19 19:54:45

I have 15 clients a week

95% use ‘disposable ‘ wipes

90% don’t recycle (I root through their bins & recycle but it’s obviously only 1 day a week)

Wescreamforicecream Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:26

This thread is making me self conscious...what are the best eco cloths to buy? I'm now worried my cleaner is judging my wipes 😳 I do have jiffy clothes for dusting etc

Wescreamforicecream Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:38

Cloths not clothes 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

thefirstmrsrochester Thu 25-Apr-19 20:25:52

To be fair, folk flush wipes as on most packs they claim to be flushable, this is taken as being biogredadable. Stick one of these in a bottle of water and come back in a decade and it will still be there.

Prequelle Thu 25-Apr-19 20:27:01

I don't know how people cope not recycling. We would be frigged here if we didn't recycle. The regular black bin only gets emptied every 3 weeks so it's vital we use the others

Easterbunnyhashoppedoff Thu 25-Apr-19 20:27:48

Crusty boxers one week also.
Grim.

Justkeeprollingalong Thu 25-Apr-19 20:32:15

I used to be cleaner many years ago when my kids were small. I had one very rich and (she thought) posh client. She had normal waste paper bins in her bedroom and bathroom into which she would throw used sanitary towels. She didn't wrap them or even roll them up 🤢

Livedandlearned Thu 25-Apr-19 20:32:55

One client left all his washed boxers on the bed and said he had left them for me to sort out. Yay!

MySecondBestBroomstick Thu 25-Apr-19 20:33:12

I fear I would be very badly judged by OP. We have mixed waste in our room bins and sort it when we empty them. We do own a packet of disposable wipes, I use them for probably about 10% of my cleaning.

We also own loo brushes <ducks and runs>

chocolatelog Thu 25-Apr-19 20:35:47

I used to be a cleaner and one client used to let her cats shit in the bath and leave it there. Used to leave open sanitary towels on the bathroom floor 🤢 (I refused to clean it and would just shut the door) and she was a doctor. I found the less professional clients were the cleanest and most hygienic.

chocolatelog Thu 25-Apr-19 20:35:49

I used to be a cleaner and one client used to let her cats shit in the bath and leave it there. Used to leave open sanitary towels on the bathroom floor 🤢 (I refused to clean it and would just shut the door) and she was a doctor. I found the less professional clients were the cleanest and most hygienic.

chocolatelog Thu 25-Apr-19 20:35:49

SihtricsHorseWitnere Thu 25-Apr-19 20:35:59

Dull! Thought this was going to include some kinky fetish gear or repossession or recall to jail notice letters left out.

I use wipes and throw them out.

chocolatelog Thu 25-Apr-19 20:37:20

Don't know why that's gone on multiple tones 🙈

chocolatelog Thu 25-Apr-19 20:37:29

Times

dementedma Thu 25-Apr-19 20:38:00

using wipes for cleaning is sheer fucking laziness. would it kill you to use a cloth and chuck it in the washing maching with the rest of a load?

YouBumder Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:29

I use wipes for cleaning the toilet, I don’t flush them though.

As for not recycling, I’m surprised they have sufficient bin collections to get away with it. I’m ambivalent about recycling really but I have no option due to how often the bins get emptied

SihtricsHorseWitnere Thu 25-Apr-19 20:40:19

would it kill you to use a cloth and chuck it in the washing maching with the rest of a load?

Nope, but I CBA'd. I use fabric softener except for towel loads, so the cloths would sit there for a few days and I'd run out of them, not a matter of just chucking it in the washing machine.

YouBumder Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:57

Anyway I thought this thread was going to be about juicy stuff like suction cup dildos left on bathroom tiles grin

DizzyPhillips Thu 25-Apr-19 20:42:30

I use wipes. I don’t flush them though.

SihtricsHorseWitnere Thu 25-Apr-19 20:43:33

As for not recycling, I’m surprised they have sufficient bin collections to get away with it.

If you live in a flat, you might only have large wheelie bins in a bin collection area and may not have space in your flat to store recycling until you can take it to a centre or get a chance to get to the bin area.

SimonJT Thu 25-Apr-19 20:45:35

My poor cleaner got an eyeful one day, she walked in my bedroom to put the sheets in the washing machine and my then boyfriend was asleep on the bed absolutely starkers.

He told me about it, but she to this day has never said a word.

I use those eco cloths that you just use with water, you do need loads of them though otherwise you’re constantly using the washing machine.

Loopytiles Thu 25-Apr-19 20:47:29

Disposable wipes are bad news, especially if flushed.

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 25-Apr-19 20:48:33

We have a cleaner and don't use disposable wipes (she just gets through about 10 cloths per week, god knows what she's doing with them) and we recycle or compost absolutely everything! She often leaves empty cleaning bottles in my general bin which I diligently transfer over to recycling. We only use Method and Ecover and no bleach either but she accepts that.

I can only conclude that you are not my cleaner op!

Theninjawhinger Thu 25-Apr-19 20:49:01

I used to own a cleaning agency - neither wipes nor lack of recycling would make me bat an eyelid. Both are completely run of the mill when you go in lots of peoples homes.

I did object to the man who told us he had cameras in every room and would be watching us from work though..... that was just a bit creepy!

DizzyPhillips Thu 25-Apr-19 20:49:16

That Method stuff is fab to be fair.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »