Washing yourself at the sink - how not to get water everywhere?

(30 Posts)
wheresmyflannel Mon 22-Apr-19 16:56:41

Regular user who has named changed, as I feel a bit embarrassed to ask - how do you wash yourself at the sink without getting water everywhere? I'm asking because I'm trying to save water - maybe to alternate showering and sink washing so I have a full shower every other day. Washing face is obviously ok, but washing armpits and privates I just seem to make such a mess with water when rinsing. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
KinkyHair Mon 22-Apr-19 17:04:00

Stand on a towel?

eBayschmeBay Mon 22-Apr-19 17:05:18

I find using a cloth a lot less splashy

kashleesi Mon 22-Apr-19 17:07:13

Flannel!

managedmis Mon 22-Apr-19 17:07:58

A strip wash?

Faster Mon 22-Apr-19 17:09:14

Flannel. Wet it, soap it, wash yourself, rinse it out and wash any residue off.

balloonyellow Mon 22-Apr-19 17:12:13

Stand on a bath mat or towel. I get it OP. I shower every other day and sink wash the others in winter. In hotter months I’ll have a bath on the alternate days instead of a sink wash. Way too busy to shower every single morning and my hair type can’t be washed every day. We’re a lot cleaner mammals than we were centuries ago so nothing to be ashamed ofgrin

Advertisement

Prokupatuscrakedatus Mon 22-Apr-19 17:41:18

My gran and her sisters used to stand in a large washing bowl (is that the correct English?) in front of the kitchen sink , the boys had to go and wash in the goat shed.

BMW6 Mon 22-Apr-19 18:14:36

Use a flannel wrung out for soaping and wiping off, and stand on a towel.

Angie169 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:03:33

I second using a flannel and standing on a towel , I do this every other day.

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 22-Apr-19 19:08:42

Funny username for someone who hasn't thought to use a flannel!

I have a couple of sink washes per week. I'm trying not to get my whole body wet every day because of dry itchy skin. I kinda wish we had a bidet!

DoodleLab Mon 22-Apr-19 19:14:07

Wash privates with a jug of water while sitting on the loo. Soapy flannel for armpits.

Or use a small spray bottle, the kind for hydrating house plants. Stand in shower cubicle and spray your body. Scrub over with a soapy flannel, rinse with a jug of warm water.

mediocrityandbeans Mon 22-Apr-19 20:22:35

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wonders about this! Every face wash advert seems to have a girl doing a generous splash from a full sink of water and in real life I think your floor would be drenched!

Felicia4 Mon 22-Apr-19 20:25:11

Buy a small bucket, stand in the tub or shower and wash that way

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 22-Apr-19 20:26:49

Just have a shower, it's not the 1970's

BiscuitDrama Mon 22-Apr-19 20:28:58

I occasionally wash bits at the sink and I think I just do frequent wipes with a wet hand to rinse.

Alternatively to save water could you put wet soapy hands on bits that need washing and then just turn the shower on to rinse off?

Delatron Mon 22-Apr-19 20:29:32

I don’t get this strip wash thing. Do you have a fresh ‘flannel’ very day?

By the time you’ve faffed around splashing water all over and shivering naked washing your ‘pits and bits’ you may as well just hopped in the shower for a few minutes. Much more refreshing.

whiteteeth04 Mon 22-Apr-19 20:31:08

Another one that doesn't understand this, a a shower takes less than 5 mins and cleans better?

YesQueen Mon 22-Apr-19 20:32:12

If it's just water saving then get in the shower, soap up without water running and rinse off

Angie169 Mon 22-Apr-19 20:51:53

To all those saying just hop in the shower . I do not have a shower and no matter how quick I have a bath washing at the sink is faster and use's much less water.

Delatron Mon 22-Apr-19 21:00:50

I’d run a small bath then. Appreciate it uses more water and takes more time. I’d do it in the evening if I didn’t have time in the morning.

miaCara Mon 22-Apr-19 21:01:42

I had the same problem when I started having a strip wash . I bought some of those towelling bath mats so it was easy to drop one of them in front of the sink.
I had to make the call about flannels too as I realised that either the used flannel would have to sit and dry slowly over the bath and leaving it untidy and maybe slightly musty or I would need a new one each day. I settled for a new one each day as its only a 3 at the most a week which isn't even a hand towel size extra washing.( I've been overthinking this haven't I blush)
I actually like the efficiency of a strip wash. So quickly done and no threat of hair getting wet .

KindergartenKop Mon 22-Apr-19 22:05:48

You need a bidet mate!

But yes, use a flannel and stand on a bath mat/towel.

BiscuitDrama Mon 22-Apr-19 22:06:04

OP said she has a shower, though, Angie and that’s who we’re directing our answers to.

Delatron Mon 22-Apr-19 22:33:31

You can use a shower cap to not get your hair wet. A shower is lovely and refreshing and can be quick if needed. At least your whole body gets a soaking.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in