Talk

Advanced search

This is totally gross, isn't it?

(57 Posts)
SluggishSnail Sat 20-Apr-19 15:21:15

DH just ate some ham which had a use by date of 7th April. That wouldn't be so bad in itself, except that he took it out of the bin and ate it. It was in the bin because I found it in a cupboard where it had accidently ended up between two packets of wraps, so it hadn't even been in the fridge since I bought it at the end of March. There was visible mould on one slice.

He ate half, then put the rest back in the fridge in case the DC wanted some for lunch. (It is now in the outside bin).

He doesn't see anything wrong with it. I think all parts of that are utterly grim.

I'm right, aren't I?

blackcat86 Sat 20-Apr-19 15:25:26

Just no. With the way you've described it I wouldn't feed that ham to my cat let alone DC. WTF. Does he not have any understanding of food hygiene and infection risk?

Mississippilessly Sat 20-Apr-19 15:25:50

That's grim. Really really grim.

Tink1990 Sat 20-Apr-19 15:26:55

He is going to be ill shock

EmmaC78 Sat 20-Apr-19 15:27:08

Thst sounds well beyond the limits of what is acceptable food wise. Surely it smelled bad after all that time!

HollowTalk Sat 20-Apr-19 15:28:31

He sounds disgusting! Who eats mouldy food out of the bin and wants to feed it to their children, too?

Is this man gross in other ways? (I'd be amazed if he brushed his teeth twice a day and showered every day.)

katykins85 Sat 20-Apr-19 15:29:05

Jess Christ, is he for real?! shock It's shocking enough that he ate it, but to save the rest for the kids?! Is he always so gross and lax about food hygiene?! Reckon he'll be poorly tomorrow.

StormcloakNord Sat 20-Apr-19 15:29:21

It always blows my mind when people think just cutting off a mouldy bit or chucking away a mouldy bit means it'll be fine.

Mould have hyphae which is basically like roots, if theres a small bit of mould on your ham/bread then there will be bits of mould hyphae right throughout whatever food it is.

Boooooak

DramaAlpaca Sat 20-Apr-19 15:29:42

I'm fairly relaxed about dates on food, but that's utterly grim. And as for fishing it out of the bin - words fail me.

ElizabethMainwaring Sat 20-Apr-19 15:30:06

Good lord! That is horendous.

BluntAndToThePoint Sat 20-Apr-19 15:32:10

Jesus, does he have no sense of smell?
Remind him that he better aim for the toilet properly later this evening or he will be cleaning up his own puddle of vomit from the floor.

ElizabethMainwaring Sat 20-Apr-19 15:33:02

Hang on. It's not been in the fridge for over a month??? It was in a cupboard??? Surely you jest op.

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Sat 20-Apr-19 15:33:40

I hope you don't have any family plans this weekend, Op.

Who does this though? I'm not averse to the odd item a couple of days past its use-by but never something like meat or fish. Is he somewhat lacking in the intellect department?

The one thing that stands out for me though is the fact he decided it was fit for his DC to consume. If this is real, and I hope it isn't, I'm not sure I could stay with someone who is so flippant regarding our DCs health and well being.

And I don't think I could ever kiss him again. Yuk

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Sat 20-Apr-19 15:34:54

Oops, apostrophe missing from DC's

SluggishSnail Sat 20-Apr-19 15:35:35

Is this man gross in other ways? (I'd be amazed if he brushed his teeth twice a day and showered every day.

He isn't gross in personal hygiene - he showers, brushes his teeth, wears clean clothes etc. He has a professional job as a scientist.

I am fairly relaxed about use by dates (pretty much ignore them on bacon and cheese), but taking something out the bin is a step too far.

ElizabethMainwaring Sat 20-Apr-19 15:36:37

Re reading your post I'm convinced that you're having us on. Unrefrigerated ham for weeks on end? I'm not even sure that it would have mould on. It would just go putrid. If it is true I'd get medical advice and quick.

SluggishSnail Sat 20-Apr-19 15:37:04

Hang on. It's not been in the fridge for over a month??? It was in a cupboard??? Surely you jest op.

It was an accident (my fault), but when I found it, I binned it without opening it. I don't normally keep deli stuff in the cupboard!

SluggishSnail Sat 20-Apr-19 15:39:46

Re reading your post I'm convinced that you're having us on. Unrefrigerated ham for weeks on end? I'm not even sure that it would have mould on. It would just go putrid. If it is true I'd get medical advice and quick.

It might have been yeast rather than mould. The whole packet looked greyish rather than pinkish - there was nothing appetising about it.

And we had other ham in the fridge which he could have had.

ElizabethMainwaring Sat 20-Apr-19 15:41:35

I'm so pleased that you paid such careful attention to my posts. You are definitely jesting op. Chin chin x

CakeNinja Sat 20-Apr-19 15:42:52

Grim envy
Is your husband Martin from Friday Night Dinners?! grin
I’m fairly lax about food and eating stuff that’s a bit out of date if it looks and smells fine but even I draw the line at eating non refrigerated fridge stuff weeks out of date out of the bin!

TheGrey1houndSpeaks Sat 20-Apr-19 15:54:37

Does he normally eat out of the bin? 🤮🤢

IHateUncleJamie Sat 20-Apr-19 16:03:46

The whole packet looked greyish

I really hope this is a joke. If not, your DH is batshit.

ElizabethMainwaring Sat 20-Apr-19 16:08:49

Has he vomited yet?

amatsip Sat 20-Apr-19 16:10:10

I made pancakes the other day and found some syrup in the kitchen cupboard, poured it on the pancakes and happily devoured them.

As I cleaned up I saw the exp date was 2017!

Tasted fine and thankfully I have had no ill effects.

Purplecatshopaholic Sat 20-Apr-19 16:17:12

Some things last a long time past their alleged sell-by date. Other things dont. Ham thats been in a cupboard rather than the fridge and has mould on it is not something I would be eating that is for sure. Unless the man has an iron constitution he is likely to be ill from eating that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: