Talk

Advanced search

Have you got any famous friends?

(235 Posts)
SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Thu 18-Apr-19 08:50:01

I haven't and I don't know anyone that has.Must be weird to be on a night out and have constant attention from strangers.

Jenasaurus Thu 18-Apr-19 14:44:19

My niece is good friends with Danielle Harold.

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 14:45:56

@Mummyto2munchkins how weird, DP has some football programme on Sky Sports and it's showed Andrew Johnson scoring twice grin

MitziK Thu 18-Apr-19 14:46:36

@sauvingnonBlanketyBlanc, not necessarily the OP - just look at the number of ordinary threads that turn up in the Venom and that's proof that whilst they might not start a thread, there are always reporters trawling through posts for something that might generate a few clicks.

FromDespairToHere Thu 18-Apr-19 14:47:29

I know the drummer from Doves, in a friend of friend type of way. I had no idea until someone asked for his autograph once when we were out as a group.

I'm also on saying hello terms with Matthew Corbett of Sooty fame. Ian Brown and Chris Bisson both live near me and I see them regularly, especially Ian Brown, but I don't know them at all.

Mammyloveswine Thu 18-Apr-19 14:47:37

My grandad used to be dame judi denchs Gardner and my dad used to go with him and play with her! He claims she gave him a wooden pencil box but no sign of it when we cleared out my nanas house..

Everyone old in york claims to have known Dr Dench though.. grin

LuluBellaBlue Thu 18-Apr-19 14:51:09

I see the Beckhams children (my son has played table tennis with them...... once 3 years ago as part of a large group) at a well known private members club in Oxfordshire and wave as I drive past their house, does that count?! grin

Jenasaurus Thu 18-Apr-19 14:58:40

Romesh is correct, and he taught my DD, he told me on parents evening, she tried hard was terrible at maths but had a wicked sense of humour...so quite a compliment from him in hindsight smile

Jenasaurus Thu 18-Apr-19 15:00:48

I was also good friends with someone who went on to become famous for the wrong reasons, also a teacher.

pineapplebryanbrown Thu 18-Apr-19 15:02:12

My Mum and Jon Pertwee had a fight once over dogs.

And my sister ran into William Roache and said "oh Ken! How are you? I'm so sorry to hear about Deirdre" and they proceeded to have a fairly long conversation as though he was really Ken and Coronation Street was real.

vaguerelations Thu 18-Apr-19 15:06:31

I am loosely related to the Coogans. I buy clothes from Jon Baker from the Charlatans who now has a vintage business with his partner. I have Terry Christian in my phone contacts. I see Andy Burnham in the pub a fair bit.
obvs name changed because actually quite outing

Amongstthetallgrass Thu 18-Apr-19 15:09:39

Yes my daughters long term best friend. She is an actress and is lovely. They both got up to a lot of mischief sneaking in to night clubs ect.. when young and generally taking the piss. Lovely to see her on tv. Her boyfriend is also an actor who is more well known and is a complete arrogant dickhead. He poses more than the girls do and at a recent birthday bash I actually couldn’t stop watching him because he clearly thought he was a god and a world away from his tv persona.

I used to like him on the series he was on and is really handsome so was really disappointed!

Amongstthetallgrass Thu 18-Apr-19 15:10:42

vague say at the back of Terri Christian at a musical and he was moody complaining arse.

Beamur Thu 18-Apr-19 15:11:27

I am friends with someone you would know off the telly.
You forget after a while. Although I live in a smallish village and there was much giddiness when they moved in.
Their kids went to school with my DD and are a lovely family.

Amongstthetallgrass Thu 18-Apr-19 15:14:09

Oh I and I’ve met Warren Brown, he used to go on holiday with my mate, when there parents went on holiday together.

My mate had a crush on him and we used to ring him from the phone box at the end of the street

We were 14 grin

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 18-Apr-19 15:21:10

Polar, that's got to be Gove surely?

Decormad38 Thu 18-Apr-19 15:25:33

I would like to be intimate friends with a few of the male actors in GoT. But I’m not. 😩

BelulahBlanca Thu 18-Apr-19 15:26:19

I used to rent a spare room in a pop star’s house. She was really nice and I learned a lot about how the industry works. I was there for quite a few years and mainly had the huge place to myself as she worked overseas a lot.

MyChildrenHaveHorns Thu 18-Apr-19 15:28:32

I work with one of the lads from Geordie Shore. (In an unrelated job) Wouldn't have a clue who he was as I don't watch it but he is soooo lovely, really makes time for people who ask for photos/ autograph and spends time chatting.
'Tis a bit weird on a night out though.

Moomoomoomoomoo Thu 18-Apr-19 15:34:32

My Mum lives next to one of the costume makers from Game of Thrones. I know that’s not someone ‘famous’ but she was telling me how amazing the costumes look.

SospanFrangipan Thu 18-Apr-19 15:40:27

I know one of the tattooists from Tattoo Fixers. I was good friends with him and his brother when we were kids. If we see eachother out and about we say hi etc. Also spent a lot of time around a well known 80s rockstar when I was younger as he managed my friends then band. He's more known in the US these days though.

TrixieFranklin Thu 18-Apr-19 16:11:14

Robert Pattinson.

RavenLG Thu 18-Apr-19 16:15:17

@brizzlemint

How do you know they aren't faking it?

Well I’ve met her parents (DPs aunt and uncle), they’ve been married / together for years and there’s loads of photos of them. It would be a pretty good lie hmm

TheQueef Thu 18-Apr-19 16:16:38

I'm actually Ronnie Pickering.

brizzlemint Thu 18-Apr-19 16:17:35

*How do you know they aren't faking it?

Well I’ve met her parents (DPs aunt and uncle), they’ve been married / together for years and there’s loads of photos of them. It would be a pretty good lie hmm*

@Ravenlg Never mind.....

FiremanKing Thu 18-Apr-19 16:20:19

TheQueef - can I have your autograph please?

sadkoala Thu 18-Apr-19 16:58:20

I've very briefly met a sports celebrity and a famous children's book author however it was abroad and no one here would have ever heard of them.

My DP however knows quite a few very famous sportsmen from way back. Don't keep in touch per se but would know each other/say hi/chat if ever bumped into each other.

Also Sean Bean has been known to frequent a local pub every few years when visiting an old friend. Still waiting for my chance to actually see him there though.

BearSoFair Thu 18-Apr-19 17:11:37

Ran it by her before posting, she doesn't mind him being named, so: my sister is friends with Andrew Scott. They met several years before he was in Sherlock, she says although she doesn't see him as often now he hasn't changed at all and is still a great guy to be around.

AliasGrape Thu 18-Apr-19 17:31:01

Very pleased to hear that Bear, I love Andrew Scott!

FromDespairToHere Thu 18-Apr-19 17:34:49

brizzlemint I got it 😁

Eustasiavye Thu 18-Apr-19 17:38:50

A good friend of mine worked with someone who's sister is married to a famous comedian. She went on the woman's hen do and said the comedians bride to be was fabulous and very beautiful. She has met the comedian several times and says he is shy to the point of rudeness.
My uncle was best friends with someone who is the grandad of a member of a very successful boy band. When my mum was young they lived in the next street to the grandad.
My dp was the best man for a journalist who until recently was often on tv.
They are no longer close though but we have bumped into him and his wife.

SnappedandFartedagain Thu 18-Apr-19 17:42:53

Phil Tufnell used to be my next door neighbour. But he and his then wife divorced and they sold the house. Shame, as they were great neighbours.

WeMarchOn Thu 18-Apr-19 17:48:54

I'm Facebook friends with James "Murr" Murray from Impractical Jokers, does that count? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Pieceofpurplesky Thu 18-Apr-19 18:06:21

I was friends with a very famous actor as a child (up to about age 7 when they moved). We used to play together every day. He used to blame me if anything went wrong. I often wonder if he remembers the fun we had ...

notsodimwit Thu 18-Apr-19 18:09:56

I have a famous cousin but haven't seen him for years as he is busy xxi am close to my aunt who also hasn't seen her son for long time confused fame eh!

Eustasiavye Fri 19-Apr-19 08:20:15

I went to school with an actor who was in Brassed Off. He could be quite spiteful as a child.

purplereindeer Fri 19-Apr-19 08:28:52

A good friend of mine was in the Boo Radleys. He doesn't get recognised any more!

I went to school with a relatively well known Mummy blogger and with an ex Miss UK.

My DP is local-famous, he gets approached by fans every now and again.

HollowTalk Fri 19-Apr-19 10:52:38

I think you must live near me then, @purplereindeer, if you knew the Boo Radleys growing up.

brizzlemint Fri 19-Apr-19 11:10:22

@FromDespairToHere I'm glad that somebody did grin

Knowivedonewrong Fri 19-Apr-19 11:32:21

I'm friends with hairdresser Phil Smith.

L0kiWh0 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:38:42

@BiBiBirdie JA? If so I’ve worked with him. Lovely man.

I went to primary school with someone who is married to an heir to the throne. Not ‘fwiend’ friends with them anymore really but would stop for a catch up if we met

MotherOfTheNoise Fri 19-Apr-19 11:59:45

My friend is currently playing the lead in Hamilton in the West End.

HildaAlida Fri 19-Apr-19 12:34:05

OMG @BearSoFair I scrolled along to your post just as I was idly thinking, I wonder if anyone knows Andrew Scott.

I'd only just recovered from a massive debilitating crush on him after Sherlock, when he pitched up in Fleabag. I find him so utterly engaging and charismatic, that I'm almost afraid to look directly at him - he is mesmerising.

I appreciate that if I were the last woman on earth I still wouldn't be his type, but he is still a beautiful man and an incredible actor.

I don't know anyone famous but I am apparently the spitting image of a very famous bollywood movie star - so much so that a client of my firm, an Arabian Prince, was struck dumb when I did some work at his office, and went all silly whenever I spoke to him.

I am not even of south east Asian origin (more Russian really), but I enjoyed the attention at the time. grin

Littlepond Fri 19-Apr-19 13:29:47

Nigel Farage has had dinner with my parents several times

TwoNoisyBoys Fri 19-Apr-19 14:09:38

There’s a fairy famous actor living in our small village. He used to be in Corrie and LOVES being recognised, and alludes to the soap all the time, even though he left many moons ago. When he tried to chat me up in the local, he went on and on about being a famous television and theatre ac-TOR but I pretended I hadn’t a clue who he was. I got him to pose for a selfie with me, saying “My mum might know who you are.....” 😁

VenusStarr Fri 19-Apr-19 15:55:25

*How do you know they aren't faking it?

Well I’ve met her parents (DPs aunt and uncle), they’ve been married / together for years and there’s loads of photos of them. It would be a pretty good lie hmm*

@Ravenlg Never mind.....

grin @brizzlemint

MidnightLavender Fri 19-Apr-19 16:14:39

My DH is mates with a WWE wrestler and we go to see him when he comes to the UK. I enjoy going backstage at events and seeing all the other wrestlers.

brizzlemint Fri 19-Apr-19 16:34:31

Nigel Farage has had dinner with my parents several times

Once is unfortunate but several times ? shock

@venusstarr grin

DarlingNikita Fri 19-Apr-19 16:40:21

Once is unfortunate but several times ?

As dear Oscar W almost said grin

Merril Fri 19-Apr-19 17:25:23

He used to be in Corrie

Curly Watts?

brizzlemint Fri 19-Apr-19 17:31:45

As dear Oscar W almost said grin

Indeed grin

Firsttimemummy19 Fri 19-Apr-19 17:32:10

I once worked with a girl who's sister had a brief spell on emmerdale.

Far fetched but I'm going with it!

SimonJT Fri 19-Apr-19 17:33:50

My ex boyfriend is in a fairly big band.

I know Vicky McClure, she was a close friend of my older sister so she was regularly at our house when we were kids.

user1457017537 Fri 19-Apr-19 17:35:42

Unfortunately it would out the friend because these people tend to be quite guarded anyway.

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 19-Apr-19 17:46:04

One of mine and DP's best friends sings with someone famous.
Also friends with a couple of people who were in a popular 80s group.
And also a legendary 1970s musician (depending on what genre you are into, but he's considered to be one of the best for his particular instrument.. in fact just been to his country house (DP works for this particular rock band)
DP is also friends with Jim Davison and they shared a mutual best friend who sadly passed (you'd know one of his Christmas songs)
We have also been invited to Todd Rundgren's house in Hawaii! (I've never met him but Dp worked for him)

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 19-Apr-19 17:48:47

Make that three friends that were in two 80s bands. One of our best friends was in a band I loved as a schoolgirl. He hates them so we never mention them!

RustyParker Fri 19-Apr-19 18:09:33

@mummylin That'll be Janet Montgomery wouldn't it? She was utterly amazing in Salem. Definitely an actress to watch for the future!

Mummylin Fri 19-Apr-19 18:56:53

Rustyparker 😀

ContinuityError Fri 19-Apr-19 19:31:48

My neighbour has an Oscar.

Does that count?

She’s wicked at sport at the local pub quiz.

Charlottejbt Fri 19-Apr-19 19:42:42

I'm the only person I know who doesn't have any famous friends/acquaintances. blush I do know a couple of people who came close to moderate fame a long time ago with novelty musical acts (one of them would hate this description, but if the shoe fits!) but they are far from being household names. When another friend died recently I was surprised to see that his Youtube channel had over 4.5 k subscribers: not exactly fame perhaps, but impressive for someone who was very awkward and had few friends IRL. When I was little my dad used to know the cast of Eastenders and had a particular soft spot for Wendy Richard, who apparently was always trying to lure him into her dressing room! (Said he, anyway.) In more recent years he knew Frank Bruno slightly - I seem to be the only person round here who has never so much as glimpsed the great man other than on the telly. My brother knows a bunch of TV people but is careful to keep them away from his weirdo sister. smile Other DB apparently has a famous neighbour but I've forgotten the bloke's name so he can't be that famous. My best friend also has family showbiz connections but is uninterested in that aspect of life. At university there were always celebs around but I was too socially inept to speak to them. DP knows a former government minister (not UK) who I'm hoping can pull some strings if the buggers try and deport me after Brexit. I think that's about it.

PineapplePatty Sat 20-Apr-19 00:04:02

I know a few. I'll need to NC though.

Jsmith99 Sat 20-Apr-19 00:21:34

Many years ago I was a Labour Party activist, in a key Midlands marginal seat. I met most of the top New Labour people, including Tony & Cherie Blair several times. I became quite friendly with people who went on to become cabinet ministers, eg Geoff Hoon & Pat Hewitt.

Schlerp Sat 20-Apr-19 00:43:43

I have two siblings who are actors. One has done well for themselves and moved into directing the other has just started out in the West End. Another sibling is a well respected but somewhat underground musician. My partner was the lead singer in a band that was big on their scene too but I’m not saying who as it’s too outing and he had crazy fans who’d appear all over the place out of the blue. Thankfully he grew up and got a proper job when we had kids so it was nice to leave all that crap behind. One cousin is a footballer who has gone from PL down the ranks and another is a newsreader on one of the main channels. I’m the failure of the family 😂

ThomasOMalley Sat 20-Apr-19 01:06:27

I'm related by marriage to a coronation street actor - and I've never even met him!

MollyYouInDangerGirl Sat 20-Apr-19 01:10:50

Ian Brown and a guy from emmerdale live near me, I've seen them around a lot. Dont know them though.

MollyYouInDangerGirl Sat 20-Apr-19 01:15:08

Oh and a friend from uni had a brother who was in Waterloo road (ha)

BingandFlop2019 Sat 20-Apr-19 01:33:01

@AliasGrape Jason Manford

coolwalking Sat 20-Apr-19 01:34:21

I'm not in UK - I am friends with leading soap actress here and some tv personalities through my work.

Celebrity culture isn't really a thing here though - there aren't many people who don't know someone 'famous'.

A couple of people I knew have gone onto Hollywood and one is in a leading Netflix teen drama series now.

Aveeno2017 Sat 20-Apr-19 01:36:30

Pointless post...why not just say who your friends with.

MsChicken Sat 20-Apr-19 01:55:55

Used to go out with someone in a band, famous in the 80s. Lives a quiet life now, teaches music tech, none of his pupils know what he used to do or would ever have heard of the band unless their parents have still got their vinyl/cassette collections.

somethingunsualcauseicanthink Sat 20-Apr-19 02:07:26

Yep, a few

But I can't tell you because of spoilers.

One of the other ones his character was an utter utter utter bastard, which considering his priestly side came as a shock.

Have fun with those

Alicewond Sat 20-Apr-19 02:16:05

yes I know 937 famous people but I can’t tell you who they are, because... (that would prove I’m talking rubbish)

lboogy Sat 20-Apr-19 03:11:04

I went to school with Rachel Stephens. She was a couple of years older than me. Don't suppose she's famous anymore. She really was quite beautiful - had a strange exotic look about her which even at 12 I was mesmerised by. Weirdly on tv she seems pretty ordinary. She was very popular too and I guess it got to her head. Unsurprising I suppose

I also know a child actor - been in massive Hollywood films - I can't name him though

MrsTeaspoon Sat 20-Apr-19 04:31:25

The Dimbleby clan. As lovely as you can get. I always think people staring/coming up to talk when we are out and about and clearly busy with kids/school run etc a bit rude but they are always dealt with graciously and with aplomb.

AvengersAssemble Sat 20-Apr-19 04:51:04

I'm famous, got a huge film out this week. Thanos we are coming for you ......

RainbowFox Sat 20-Apr-19 04:54:54

* I'm really good friends with a girl who is good friends with Garry Barlow but I havnt met him. She says he's really lovely. He's been a really good friend to her, she met him though her just being a fan, he followed her back on Twitter and struck up a friendship.*

Gary recognises many fans and follows and replies to DMs on Twitter, he follows me on Twitter. But there is no fan out there that has become his 'friend'. He's friendly with them but there's a difference between that and actual friendship. However there are a few fans I could think of that would wishfully misinterpret this.

WeMarchOn Sat 20-Apr-19 07:34:56

@MidnightLavender Finn Balor?

WeMarchOn Sat 20-Apr-19 07:49:10

@Knowivedonewrong his niece is in my daughters class

LaganOnABubble Sat 20-Apr-19 08:02:21

I went to school with the guys from Hue and Cry and they’ve been to parties at my house.

memaymamo Sat 20-Apr-19 10:08:56

Gary recognises many fans and follows and replies to DMs on Twitter, he follows me on Twitter. But there is no fan out there that has become his 'friend'. He's friendly with them but there's a difference between that and actual friendship.

How would you even know that? Are you Gary?

RainbowFox Sat 20-Apr-19 10:38:47

memaymamo

No but it's absolute bollocks! Seriously?!

Gary is very interactive on Twitter (less so lately). There are many fans that have had frequent DMs off Gary, who he has arranged meet-ups with at gigs for special reasons or what not! Do you really think he has continued an internet friendship with just one of them and become real life friends? Or do you think it's more likely there would be fans mad enough to believe that Gary recognising them and sending them a few nice DMs means they are real life friends?

I would think having been in the business for 30 years that Gary would be a bit cautious about bringing someone who he only knew from his DMs into his real life friendship circle. He's a very wise business man!

Unless there is something else to it not explained in the original post then no, I absolutely don't believe it.

RainbowFox Sat 20-Apr-19 10:41:16

Just to add I know that he has been very lovely to some fans who have been through difficult times. They share it in the fan groups. But that does not make him a 'good friend'.

NorthernRunner Sat 20-Apr-19 10:43:23

I don’t have any true friends who are famous, but I have a few acquaintances through my job who are famous.
I run my own little childcare business in north east London and over the years I have looked after some famous people’s children. We don’t particularly keep in contact so can’t call them friends, but I do often see them around and about so will always exchange pleasantries.

MsChicken Sat 20-Apr-19 10:44:38

LaganOnABubble - oh god, I so love Hue and Cry, that voice.

Sarahlou63 Sat 20-Apr-19 10:48:58

My distant cousin was (is?) the lead singer of Showaddywaddy and my ex bosses son went to school with Bono's son.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 20-Apr-19 10:49:50

I used to be friends with a few premiership footballers, this was in the 90s when I was a teenager and they were at most four years older than me. I didn't see them as any different from my other friends, until two of them came to a party with me that had been arranged at a local nightclub - suddenly I was really popular at school hmm

And one of them was giving out the awards at my school's speech day, and afterwards offered me a lift into the city centre in his convertible (I was 17 and it was my last day at school). I remember looking back from the car park and seeing loads of younger pupils staring at me, and feeling quite smug.

I still speak to them now when I see them, but I do cringe when I think of how I used their friendship to get some status at school (I was bullied all the way through for not fitting in as a poor working class girl at a posh private school).

SuperCoop3r Sat 20-Apr-19 10:53:56

My husband is a very famous golfer. Does that count? grin

NameChangeNugget Sat 20-Apr-19 10:57:36

My daughter is friends with an actor who’s been in a big US series as well as some comedy stuff for the BBC. He’s a lovely lad

Ringdonna Sat 20-Apr-19 11:02:01

I am good friends with an actor from Goodnight Sweetheart, plus a few from my years of film extra work.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Sat 20-Apr-19 11:49:19

I’m friends with a niche but also quite famous singer.

We don’t see each other too regularly though.

Pieceofpurplesky Sat 20-Apr-19 11:50:47

Gary Barlow doesn't even keep in touch with many of his real life friends so I doubt he classes fans as friends (I am friends with his friend which is how I know).

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 20-Apr-19 12:04:42

And DSS2 is friends with a comedian who is becoming more successful, and has had his own series on the BBC. They went to uni together, and the friend also taught DS before he changed career.

AliasGrape Sat 20-Apr-19 12:51:11

@BingandFlop2019

No, less famous/more niche than that - probably stretching the definition of ‘famous’ really! Although after I posted I was thinking about JM because my friend does know the Manford family and went out with his brother a couple of times, including a night out with Jason and partner which was apparently all a bit odd with swapping cars and avoiding ‘hassle from the press’ as if he was a bigger deal than he actually is, but apparently he was a nice enough bloke aside from that.

Cismyfatarse Sat 20-Apr-19 12:52:40

Yes.

Romax Sat 20-Apr-19 12:57:00

@AndNoneForGretchenWieners

Were you on a scholarship?

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 20-Apr-19 13:05:41

romax very heavily assisted place.

pineapplebryanbrown Sat 20-Apr-19 13:16:31

My XH's ex-girlfriend was Miss Ohio! Only just remembered that. Now she's a big name in organising Miss USA or something like that. Melissa Proctor - gorgeous, even now envy

pineapplebryanbrown Sat 20-Apr-19 13:20:25

Also I shagged Barney Hart Dyke (v minor actor and cousin to Miranda Hart). Barney's claim to fame was that he had shagged Elizabeth Hurley's sister. Barney and I ran into John Inman and his DP whilst we were out and John Inman knew Barney and his father. John was really lovely.

pineapplebryanbrown Sat 20-Apr-19 13:27:24

I used to babysit for Gordon McQueen's and Derek Parlane's DCs. (you'd have to be very into Scottish football to care about that though!).

pineapplebryanbrown Sat 20-Apr-19 13:31:08

I saw Gary Lineker walking out of a petrol station about a year ago. He stunningly handsome and beautifully dressed. I nearly fell over staring at him. It was quite funny (to me) and i thought he was very clever to simply stare into the middle distance whilst walking which discouraged chit chat without being rude.

joyfullittlehippo Sat 20-Apr-19 14:05:39

I work in the entertainment industry, mainly in theatre. (Not at all famous or successful though MN massively slagged off a TV episode I wrote recently. 🤣)

I’ve worked with a load of famous actors eg David Tennant, Hiddleston, Andrew Scott, Gemma Arterton, Amanda Abington. Some of them I’m on friendly terms with but none of them are friends.

My closest, dearest friend is a famous novelist. His work is hugely popular but he’s not a celeb, like he can still get the tube and no one knows what he looks like. But it is weird. He’s been courted by and worked with huge celebs. And other writers sometimes get weird when they find out I know him, and try to use me to get to him. Or they criticise him in front of me like they assume I’m secretly resentful that he’s so successful. It’s weird because to me he’s just a normal bloke who I love dearly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »