Talk

Advanced search

Have you got any famous friends?

(235 Posts)
SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Thu 18-Apr-19 08:50:01

I haven't and I don't know anyone that has.Must be weird to be on a night out and have constant attention from strangers.

Whatthefunk Thu 18-Apr-19 12:07:49

I'm friends with the drummer, fro a very famous band. Nobody bothers him at all....

eurgh Thu 18-Apr-19 12:11:02

I'm friends with a famous chef and aquatinted with a fairly powerful politician. They're just normal people

SnappedandFartedagain Thu 18-Apr-19 12:13:54

Yes I’m good friends with an actress who is currently back in Eastenders. And another who used to be in Hollyoaks but is currently a SAHM.

WouldHAVEcouldHAVEshouldHAVE Thu 18-Apr-19 12:17:59

Yes, some say hello.
Saw a man pointing and mouthing to someone else ‘that’s .....’ when she wasn’t looking.
But she goes about her business like everybody else.

Bluntness100 Thu 18-Apr-19 12:23:33

My best friend from school, who I was joined at the hip with till my twenties, her son is very famous, he's the lead singer in a huge band.

I find it odd as fuck if I'm honest . I look at him on the tv and think of the little lad throwing his crisps round my living room and struggle to reconcile the two. When we talk I really just ask how he is, in a how's the kids way, but don't allude to the fact that they've just announced a tour or has another hit or something. She will mention something, but in the same manner I do with my daughter, matter of fact way, and I'll say oh that's great yes I saw that, looks good, that sort of thing.

It really is all a bit weird. When I see screaming fans I think "you've got to be fucking kidding me".

TulipFever Thu 18-Apr-19 12:28:08

Yes, an actor. Not my best friend, but someone I see regularly in a group of friends -- it's a bit strange, as I don't have a TV and the kind of films and TV he does are not the kind of thing I would ever watch if I did (so I've only ever seen him on stage, where he is very, very good) -- I think at some level, I didn't get that other people do watch this stuff, and that he is a huge deal.

midsomermurderess Thu 18-Apr-19 12:29:53

One or two actors. Mostly quite ordinary people when it comes down to it, although for a while when one first experienced real success, he was quite the prat.

BlackCatSleeping Thu 18-Apr-19 12:30:00

Yes, she's very lovely and down to earth, but i can't tell you who is it.

No, not really, but that's always how these threads go. It would be so much more interesting if people gave names and dirt. 😂

SlightAggrandising Thu 18-Apr-19 12:30:25

Yes and as pp said, it's really weird. I tend to ignore his fame and take the piss out of his name dropping.

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 12:32:55

Have regular contact with an A-lister and have also met her and her family privately a few years ago. Won't see who as could be outing..

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 12:33:39

Say*

Youmadorwhat Thu 18-Apr-19 12:36:43

I have an uncle in America who is the BIL of a very famous child actress (who doesn’t do a whole lot any more) they have a very famous circle of friends including famous photographers and ppl from Andy Warhol’s “group”.Their wedding was...interesting 😂

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 18-Apr-19 12:36:58

Yes it would be better if someone actually named someone, you wouldn't have to go into so much detail that it would break a confidence.

Whatsallthisaboutthen Thu 18-Apr-19 12:48:00

Yes, an English actor who’s a lead in an popular American drama. He’s also been in GoT etc. I hate watching him on screen, it’s really weird. I avoid it!

Pinkarsedfly Thu 18-Apr-19 12:50:40

Yes. Actor. More of an acquaintance. Seems a nice fella. It’s just a job 🤷🏼‍♀️

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Thu 18-Apr-19 12:52:06

Please tell! grin

CoffeeRunner Thu 18-Apr-19 12:53:43

These threads are a bit pointless without names TBH.

What’s so wrong with saying “I’m friends with Holly Willoughby” (for example).

No-one knows who you are anyway, and I don’t think the fact she has a friend is betraying her confidence at all.

Redbluesky Thu 18-Apr-19 12:53:49

My cousin is a well known popstar, she's not changed a bit since she became famous but it is a bit weird hearing her on the radio or seeing her on the tv and thinking we were having sunday lunch at our nan's house together the other day 😂

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 12:55:55

Naming the person I know would definitely out me. When I met her it was in a lot of national/international newspapers and magazines.

But I wish I could name the person!

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 18-Apr-19 12:59:21

Why would it out people, are you their only friend?

AliasGrape Thu 18-Apr-19 13:02:52

Not proper famous but a comedian who is occasionally on tv, more regularly on radio. I enjoy hearing his radio show, find seeing him on tv weird but actually can’t bear to watch his stand up - he’s excellent but I just get too anxious for him. I once hid in the loo for the majority of his set then lied and said it was great afterwards. To be fair, unless I’m particularly drunk, I find watching stand up live really tense and anxiety inducing anyway - terrible second hand embarrassment in case they’re no good or die on stage.

CostanzaG Thu 18-Apr-19 13:04:41

Yes I'm friends with an actor. He does get recognised but deals with I. In good grace.....as does his lovely wife.
It freaks my ds out a bit though when he sees him on TV!

DantesInferno Thu 18-Apr-19 13:07:01

These threads are a bit pointless without names TBH.

What’s so wrong with saying “I’m friends with Holly Willoughby” (for example).

No-one knows who you are anyway, and I don’t think the fact she has a friend is betraying her confidence at all.

This

DantesInferno Thu 18-Apr-19 13:08:03

@mcjx Naming the person I know would definitely out me.

How - again, are you the only person who has ever met this person? Name change if you don't want it linked to anything else

TheFrendo Thu 18-Apr-19 13:08:10

Mick Jagger told me it was bad form to name drop.

intensiveeveline Thu 18-Apr-19 13:09:30

Even with names, it's the internet, so anyone could say they are friends with anyone really.

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 13:09:49

@DantesInferno no, but the way it happened was pretty major and unheard of at the time.

Funnyfarmer Thu 18-Apr-19 13:11:41

I'm actually quite a famous actress, I've been in a long running, rural itv soap opera. had a fairly huge part in thee most famous long running bbc sci-fi show, and been the leading actress in many itv dramas.

WouldHAVEcouldHAVEshouldHAVE Thu 18-Apr-19 13:12:04

thefrendo grin

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 13:12:55

@Funnyfarmer shock

KooMoo Thu 18-Apr-19 13:13:35

Yes grin

NaToth Thu 18-Apr-19 13:17:50

How do you define famous? Our most famous friend is currently on a world tour with his band, but you'll only have heard of him if you are into his music.

Funnyfarmer Thu 18-Apr-19 13:18:08

I actually just made all that up. 😂
I've met a few famous people, including, Pete possifwait, Bernard manning, Ricky Hatton, will Mellor, and a few Corrie and emmerdale stars, some I've encountered on several occasions but I wouldn't really call them friends, but I'm friends with people who are friends with them.
I'm really good friends with a girl who is good friends with Garry Barlow but I havnt met him. She says he's really lovely. He's been a really good friend to her, she met him though her just being a fan, he followed her back on Twitter and struck up a friendship.

sonjadog Thu 18-Apr-19 13:18:52

I have two friends who are famous in the country I live in (not the UK). The only difference between them and my other friends is that I never discuss what they are up to or what they think about anything with anyone else. Not in a gossiping way, but if someone at work mentions say a business they had a problem with, I wouldn't say "Oh yeah, my friend had a problem with them too" if it happens to be either of my well-known friends.

Funnyfarmer Thu 18-Apr-19 13:19:24

@mcjx sorry. Made it up. Could anyone tell who I was pretending to be through?

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 18-Apr-19 13:19:29

Jenna is that you mate?

SuperSara Thu 18-Apr-19 13:20:48

@funnyfarmer

You would have to be Jenna Coleman, if it were true?

grin

Funnyfarmer Thu 18-Apr-19 13:22:40

My brother has had 2k veiws on his YouTube Video. Does that count?

Funnyfarmer Thu 18-Apr-19 13:24:13

@SuperSara correct. She was just on my tv. That's why I picked her.

ThatDeadlyJetty Thu 18-Apr-19 13:24:38

mcjx are you Mariah Carey's friend?

ElinorRigby Thu 18-Apr-19 13:26:09

One of the Game of Thrones actors is a family friend...

Mamabear12 Thu 18-Apr-19 13:28:18

I am not friends with anyone famous, however, I know someone very famous that lives in my area and I constantly have seen him over the years, probably like 20+ times and no one every bothers him. I have seen him in local pubs, bars, restaurants, cafe nero, my gym, my park, walking on the sidewalk near to where I live. This actor is one that EVERYONE knows. When I have seen him no one has every approached him....including me when he was right next to me at our gyms soft play while my daughter was in there and so was his.

polarpig Thu 18-Apr-19 13:28:56

<whispers>
A very unpopular politician is a friend of my parents

intensiveeveline Thu 18-Apr-19 13:29:27

A very unpopular politician is a friend of my parents

That doesn't narrow it down much wink

BlooperReel Thu 18-Apr-19 13:33:10

Hmmm...he is not famous, you wouldn't know him if you walked past him in the street, but he is a songwriter and has had loads of hits sung by other artists and bands!

Funnyfarmer Thu 18-Apr-19 13:33:52

@Ihopeyourcakeisshit yes. Is that you Pete?

S1naidSucks Thu 18-Apr-19 13:36:31

One of the Game of Thrones actors is a family friend

One of my clients is married to an actor who is in game of thrones.

Another close friend has recently been in The Fall.

Granted they have bit parts in the background. So it depends on your definition of fame. 😁

GidgetGirl Thu 18-Apr-19 13:41:00

My DP is well known but in a culty way and only occasionally gets approached outside of a gig/show setting. Last time it happened was in Ikea when we were sofa shopping..
When we first got together I used to occasionally feel slightly self-conscious and was ultra aware in certain settings - it made me feel on edge. It was just the thought that he (and by extension I) was being looked at. I’ve since realised that was almost completely in my mind though!

He wouldn’t like to be recognised all the time and enjoys his general anonymity. But in common with many people in his line of work, he does enjoy the attention of the occasional approach/eager fan.. I’m glad it doesn’t happen more often - it’d make him a bit of a cocky bastard.

RavenLG Thu 18-Apr-19 13:42:12

DP's cousin's partner is in the charlatans. Never met either though.

ElinorRigby Thu 18-Apr-19 13:42:43

* it depends on your definition of fame.*

The family friend is on posters everywhere..

CarolDanvers Thu 18-Apr-19 13:43:52

I used to live next door to Ralph Fiennes.

Funnyfarmer Thu 18-Apr-19 13:44:19

Oh just remembered. A girl I went to school with, who I still see from time to time is the mother of an amazing little actress, in a very popular ch 4 soap opera, set in Cheshire. I can't tell you which one though.
Her mother was in bits when it seemed like the character was about to die, from a rare ilness because her acting was so great. I can't tell you which little blonde Angel she plays though, 😉

Iwouldlikesomecake Thu 18-Apr-19 13:45:10

Yes, but I work in the arts and meet 'famous' people all the time. One person I work with I don't see as mega famous but if she tweets me I suddenly get an influx of weirdos following me trying to get 'closer' to her.

I wouldn't want to be famous. Not in the slightest.

Babuchak Thu 18-Apr-19 13:45:45

I have a couple of famous friends, but funnily enough, they don't get that recognised when they don't want to be, apart from a couple of "you know you look like..." grin grin grin

There are a couple of known people around here (but there are famous people in any part of London let's be honest). People seem to be pretty respectful and they take their kids to the park and others like anyone else.

Grumpbum123 Thu 18-Apr-19 13:45:56

I used to be friends with a minor Hollywood star who has been in peaky blinders, the mummy. Despite spending many summers together I highly doubt she’d remember me

AventaRizon Thu 18-Apr-19 13:49:26

Yes I do. Strange and weirdly uncomfortable experience going for a day out with them and the kids... plus bodyguard.

Dahlietta Thu 18-Apr-19 13:49:39

I presume that those who say it would be outing for them are thinking that the fact their posts show they are in their 40s with three kids and a horse, don’t like their sister-in-law much barre avid visitors of Legoland preserves their anonymity more than all the above plus are best friends with Barbara Cartland and live next door to Tony Slattery.

purpleweasel Thu 18-Apr-19 13:53:00

I'm best mates with Elvis. What do you mean he's dead? He works in my local chippy and I saw him only last week!

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 13:56:03

@ThatDeadlyJetty haha nope!!

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 13:56:26

Following on from @Funnyfarmer, does anyone wonder which celebs are MNers?

brizzlemint Thu 18-Apr-19 13:56:50

@ravenlg DP's cousin's partner is in the charlatans.

How do you know they aren't faking it?

polarpig Thu 18-Apr-19 13:59:17

*A very unpopular politician is a friend of my parents

That doesn't narrow it down much wink*

grin Probaby the least popular politician on MN. I texted my Mum once to say I was coming over and she told me not to because they were there for a coffee, she knows me too well.

Merril Thu 18-Apr-19 13:59:48

Agree with the poster who said these threads are pointless without names.

They're pretty much pointless anyway, seeing as you could just make it up and no one would know. A bit like how everyone on MN earns over £100,000 a year.

I'm married to an A list actor and I live next door to a very famous soap star and I used to babysit someone who is now in a well known rock band.

See?

OneDayillSleep Thu 18-Apr-19 14:00:05

Yep v pointless thread, "I know someone, they are an actor, I can't say who though". Great!

Does everyone on this thread think that famous people only have 1 friend in the world lol? Even I have 2 and I'm a nobody!

BachAtTheMoon Thu 18-Apr-19 14:00:08

I went to school with our town mayor. He says hello to me in the street.
(Nearest to a famous person you can get in a small rural town in the middle of nowhere)

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 14:00:37

I'm not sure why people would lie about knowing someone famous though.. really what are you gaining from doing that?

BlackCatSleeping Thu 18-Apr-19 14:02:22

Yeah, but why does someone always say they knew a La-a in baby names? Every single time there is a thread on unusual baby names someone pipes up and says their sister is a midwife who delivered a baby La-a or some such nonsense.

HollowTalk Thu 18-Apr-19 14:03:54

@polarpig, I'd say that was either JRM, BJ or NF. Unless it's TM and I doubt she's got time to go visiting friends!

FiremanKing Thu 18-Apr-19 14:06:27

I will name names!

One very lovely friend is Boy George!

I’ve known him years. He’s a very nice person and has had some rough times but is doing great now.

AppleBru Thu 18-Apr-19 14:13:59

Fireman King you saved this thread before it got boring grin

Mummylin Thu 18-Apr-19 14:14:47

My brothers step daughter is in "New Amsterdam " she recently had a baby girl who none of us have met yet as she is mostly based in America, she is coming home in June. But to us she is just "Janet" she plays the part of a doctor and was especially written out in the storyline so she could have her baby. I haven't seen any of it yet.

concernedforthefuture Thu 18-Apr-19 14:15:11

My neighbour is a blogger / Instagram influencer with enough followers to mean that she often gets pointed at / asked for a selfie if we go into town.

DarlingNikita Thu 18-Apr-19 14:15:44

It would be so much more interesting if people gave names and dirt. 😂

Yes, this. So THANK YOU, Fireman! I've always thought he came across as a warm, witty, interesting guy and it's nice to hear it.

I don't know any but used to live near Will Smith – the British one from The Thick of It, not Men in Black Will Smith! We took in the odd parcel for each other, exchanged very British slight smiles in the street etc. I also used to work in a 'creative' industry and met a fair few, most of whom were pleasant to unremarkable but some of whom John Humphrys were utter weapons-grade cunts a bit difficult.

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 14:17:01

@FiremanKing How do you know him if you don't mind me asking?

MitziK Thu 18-Apr-19 14:18:06

Yup. Quite a few. Almost without exception, they're lovely people.

And there's one who I think is a total prick. Especially with his claims of 'hayfever' that the idiots people around him fall for every time.

I think most people who know anybody in the public eye are cagey because they don't want messages from 'MN users' digging for dirt that will end up in the Daily Venom.

onionknightforking Thu 18-Apr-19 14:18:37

@polarpig me too! Maybe not unpopular for her politics but she's been quite scandalous.

Personally I'm friends with a few rock musicians in the US (not commercially well known but big in their genre), one is married to an ex playboy bunny and we've had playdates with our DC's when they've been to the UK. She's not really known over here so doesn't get attention but her husband does, he's a great guy though and really makes time for his fans who for the most part are respectful. My friend's sister is also an adult actress, of course I had a nose when I found out and I can't look her in the eye now I've looked into something else. She's very nice and very gorgeous! she would get attention regardless, but it is funny when people have done 'I know you from somewhere'

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Thu 18-Apr-19 14:18:59

Friends with a few of the england world Cup winning rugby side. Used to play semi pro rugby back in the day and came through the ranks with a few of those (Wasps) guys. They obviously went on to great things for club and country while I knocked around in the national leagues.

Not that I am jealous at all, ohhhhh noooooo. envy

MrsEricBana Thu 18-Apr-19 14:20:17

I am friends (through the dc) with a dad who I didn't realise is a very famous sportsman - I don't follow that sport. Dh nearly tripped over when I introduced them and afterwards he whispered, awestruck "OMG, that was X!!!!!" While I stood there going "What?"

KindnessCrusader Thu 18-Apr-19 14:21:42

Theresa May and Mr Tumble are our local Slebs. Paul Daniels was too! Quite an unsettling experience shopping in Waitrose at the same time as TM and her armed guards confused None of these people are my mates though.

Merril Thu 18-Apr-19 14:22:33

I'm not sure why people would lie about knowing someone famous though.. really what are you gaining from doing that

I don't know but they do. I can't remember if it was this forum or another but there used to be someone who said they'd had a relationship with Bradley Cooper. They went into some detail and I think it's partly to do with playing out a fantasy.

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Thu 18-Apr-19 14:22:44

@mitziK I'm am a Mn member not a journalist

Megan2018 Thu 18-Apr-19 14:23:56

DH does. He worked in TV and Radio for a long time. His social media in particular is pretty impressive.

They aren't people he sees often now though as we are out of London and he no longer works in media, so it's not like we are brushing shoulders regularly! I'd name if they were my friends but they aren't.

I do wish I had known him 20 years ago as he did some seriously cool things!

notacooldad Thu 18-Apr-19 14:24:27

I have one semi famous friend.
He would be known to you if you were around in the 80a as he was in a band who had a few hits but one that was very popular.
He doesn't live in my country but when he comes to our town to visit it always gets comments as he is quite distinct looking even though he getting a bit now!

I always get messages such as 'I thought I saw you with a guy that looks like .... ' 🤣🤣

mcjx Thu 18-Apr-19 14:26:12

@MrsEricBana can you tell us which sport?

nelsonmuntzslingshot Thu 18-Apr-19 14:27:53

FiremanKing I love Boy George! His Who Do You Think You Are was wonderful

samsamsamsamsamsam Thu 18-Apr-19 14:28:15

I know a TV chef (actually went to her wedding) and shes a massive liar.

People who know her from home are astounded that shes made it this far given her propensity for not just lying, for taking stories that are other peoples, and retelling them as her own for laughs and to make herself seem more interesting.

She actually retold one of these wild stories back to the person who told her in the first place, who promptly called her out on it. Embarassing.

GidgetGirl Thu 18-Apr-19 14:29:55

@Megan2018 I’m in a similar boat - I kind of wish I’d known DP in the 90s when he was at the height of his success and going to all these awards ceremonies all the time, etc!

That said though, I also missed about on the shit bits, like when an ex who he’d been in a very brief relationship with sold a pointless (and largely untrue) story about him to our very least favourite rag. It was almost 20 years ago and it still haunts him on google, although I think it’s at least dropped to the 2nd or 3rd page of results for his name now.

polarpig Thu 18-Apr-19 14:32:48

Yes, it's one of the ones listed.

Mummyto2munchkins Thu 18-Apr-19 14:35:26

Andrew Johnson (Everton footballer and also played for England) is a family friend of ours. His brother looks like his spit! Often come to my nan's bbqs in the summer and taught us how to play footie as kids.. Very nice guy and down to earth, didn't really have many people come upto him, but I only really went on the green near my nan's tbh, (I blame his bald head!)

Morgan12 Thu 18-Apr-19 14:36:23

Just say names or it's totally pointless.

I know no-one famous.

notacooldad Thu 18-Apr-19 14:38:23

We have a retired sports celebrity who has featured in a reality programme that drinks in our pub . He's not my friend though because he's a knob! He drives up and down the country lanes too fast and wont slow down for horses. His wife is lovely but when he's in the pub without her he is full of bullshit.

FiremanKing Thu 18-Apr-19 14:38:49

mcjx

I have another friend who is in the music industry since the early 1980s. He knows everyone and all the gossip but isn’t a gossip so only drops the occasional interesting titbit. Through him I’ve met some bands and solo artists and that’s how we became friends with Boy George, many moons ago.

BiBiBirdie Thu 18-Apr-19 14:38:56

I'm friends with an actor. He was in Idris Elba's film recently and has been on TV and on stage.
I've known him from before he was doing well though, he was my next door neighbour many years ago.
Also went to school with a guy who was on Popworld and Top of the Pops a while back. He now writes songs for other pop stars.
Both very normal people.

Jenasaurus Thu 18-Apr-19 14:39:01

One friend, used to be a maths teacher (taught my children) and is now a well known stand up comedian, author and has a sitcom. He is still down to earth and just him, people treat him the same in his/our home town, no fans or autograph hunters.

I was also good friends with Robert Smith from the Cure, he lived in my road and I worked for his father when I was 17

Handsoffmysweets Thu 18-Apr-19 14:39:33

samsam I think I can guess who that is!

notacooldad Thu 18-Apr-19 14:39:37

just say names or it's totally pointless
I suppose it is. I like trying to guess though!

Handsoffmysweets Thu 18-Apr-19 14:40:22

jena is that Greg something? Sorry I can’t remember his surname now but how tall is he in real life?!

wineymummy Thu 18-Apr-19 14:40:51

Oh yes I have one - an actor! He has become loads more famous in the last year and I find it all really exciting! (I'm very immature.) And soz no I'm obviously not telling who, my DH already thinks I'm ridiculous so must keep this anonymous.

notacooldad Thu 18-Apr-19 14:43:48

Romesh Ranganathan Is my guess for the ex maths teacher.
Greg Davis was an English teacher wasnt he?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »