Talk

Advanced search

What age do you start giving your dc pocket money?

(6 Posts)
Soubriquet Thu 11-Apr-19 14:27:19

Dd was 6 just over 2 weeks ago, and we have agreed to start giving her pocket money.

She has a small list of 5 jobs to do daily, things that she should be doing anyway, and if she completes them, she gets some money. Only £1 for now whilst she learns about saving, but it will be increased.

What age did you start and how much?

wendz86 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:01:20

I started at 5 and she got £2 a week then at 7 £3 a week .

Soubriquet Thu 11-Apr-19 17:50:04

Oh that’s good to hear that I’m not too cheap grin

Xmasbaby11 Thu 11-Apr-19 17:53:53

Oh gosh I'm behind! Dd is 7 and gets nothing but I keep meaning to start. Following with interest!

Aragog Thu 11-Apr-19 17:56:52

DD was 5 and learning about 'money' in maths, so we thought it would work well to do pocket money at that time.

It started at £1 a week at age 5, and went up 50p on each birthday, so by the time she was a teenager at 13y she got £5 a week. After that it changed to a monthly 'allowance' paid straight into her bank account, with extras for school lunches.

Ambi Thu 11-Apr-19 17:59:32

At 11yrs when she got her own bank account with debit card. I transfer £20 per month, it's her to do with as she wishes but she tends to let it build up and keep checking her banking app.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: