Talk

Advanced search

To live alone or in a professional houseshare?

(69 Posts)
googleismyfriend Fri 22-Mar-19 11:47:32

Tell me what you would do in my position...
Salary: 20k ish

Pros of professional houseshare:
- cheaper
- will be less lonely
- safer to live in a professional houseshare as a lone female
Cons:
- will be moving in with strangers

Pros of living alone:
- don't have to deal with potential messy people
- don't have to deal with potential noisy people
- DP can come round on weekends more comfortably - don't know if housemates would be annoyed if a DP stayed over every other weekend
Cons:
- much more expensive
- need to save for a property
- might get lonely
- might feel on edge being alone

What would you do??

Grace212 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:51:25

you've listed the safety thing under pro - it's a con. Moving in with strangers makes you less safe than living alone. you don't know who they will bring home, who will have keys etc etc

that said, if you can't afford to live alone, it's irrelevant. Could you share with 1 other woman if you don't know anyone to share with?

LittleKitty1985 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:52:11

You could rent a 2 bed place yourself and then interview plenty of potential flatmates until you find someone who is compatible.

Mildmanneredmum Fri 22-Mar-19 11:53:08

I'm in a professional houseshare and I LOVE IT! Everyone respects everyone else's privacy, although we get together in the kitchen if we feel like it; I can hear other people moving about, so know I'm not alone; everything is included in my tenancy agreement, so no pesky home admin; and no responsibilities (now)! I'm at the other end of the working life spectrum, so to speak (ie quite old) but I am so happy. It helps that the house is lovely and was refurbished deliberately for multiple occupancy - clean, warm, dry and safe.

gamerwidow Fri 22-Mar-19 11:55:26

House share. You can’t afford to live alone and if you find the right housemates it could be a really brilliant experience.

howmanybiscuits Fri 22-Mar-19 11:55:36

I'd live in a professional house share, definitely.

Take the time and find people you think you'll get on with.

People on MN are often weirdly anti-social. But people can also enrich your life! Some of my closest friends I met living with them through houseshares or, later on, renting rooms to lodgers.

If you're good with money, then put the money you save into a savings account. If you're not good with money, enjoy spending more cash!

howmanybiscuits Fri 22-Mar-19 11:57:41

don't know if housemates would be annoyed if a DP stayed over every other weekend

That'll depend on the houseshare. Ask them when you look round if it's OK for your DP to stay over sometimes. Some would be fine, some wouldn't.

Ivegotthree Fri 22-Mar-19 11:57:53

House-share for a bit. So much cheaper and you're only young and not earning a lot.

Go solo later when you have more money and less tolerance of others.

Namechangeymcnamechange11 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:59:36

Personally, I'd spend the extra to have my own flat, but I'm introverted and probably antisocial grin
But then if I couldn't afford it, I suppose I'd just have to suck it up and deal with a house share.

AnnaComnena Fri 22-Mar-19 12:00:27

I think it entirely depends on your own personality and preferences. I've always much preferred to live alone - when I was flatsharing, I loved having the place to myself when my flatmate went off to her boyfriend 's for the weekend.

So if I were in your place, being able to save for a property would be the only 'pro' to sharing. I think I'd see where else I could save - only taking very cheap holidays, perhaps.

Other people I've known really didn't like living alone, so they 'd be paying out more money for something they didn't want to do.

AnnaComnena Fri 22-Mar-19 12:06:40

People on MN are often weirdly anti-social. But people can also enrich your life!

Liking to live alone doesn't necessarily = antisocial! I meet many interesting people in the course of my working life, and have many friends whom I love to spend time with, go on holiday with. I also enjoy chatting to people on trains and buses, which I know is something that horrifies many people on MN. But I also love having my own space.

Borntobeamum Fri 22-Mar-19 12:13:16

I'd prefer to live alone. I'm a social person but like to be in control of who I live with. People can leave and be replaced with not as nice tenants.

SherlockSays Fri 22-Mar-19 12:17:13

Nah, I've lived in a professional house share and NEVER AGAIN.

People (no matter how professional) are often either messy or noisy, in my case I got one of each angry.

Life just becomes a passive aggressive tug of war.

googleismyfriend Fri 22-Mar-19 12:17:28

I can afford to live alone- prices in the area I'm looking at for a 1 bedroom flat are 600-700. A professional houseshare would be around 500 will bills included

googleismyfriend Fri 22-Mar-19 12:20:57

I think it entirely depends on your own personality and preferences

I'm an ambivert (in between an introvert and extrovert) so I don't really have a solid preference either way.

So if I were in your place, being able to save for a property would be the only 'pro' to sharing. I think I'd see where else I could save - only taking very cheap holidays, perhaps. I already go on cheap holidays (no more than £400 for my share), so that won't make a different to me.

googleismyfriend Fri 22-Mar-19 12:22:43

You could rent a 2 bed place yourself and then interview plenty of potential flatmates until you find someone who is compatible.

I definitely can't afford to take this risk in case I don't find a flatmate quickly. Besides, I'm not sure I will be approved for a 2 bed on my salary. The minimum salary for a 1 bed that would be accepted is £19k

Kintan Fri 22-Mar-19 12:28:41

In you position I’d go for a houseshare but only if you have your own en-suite bathroom. You can always go it alone in the future if things don’t work out.

googleismyfriend Fri 22-Mar-19 12:37:36

Like a PP said, maybe I could live in an all female houseshare? Would that make a difference to your opinion?

GemmeFatale Fri 22-Mar-19 12:37:49

I’d look for a smaller house share. An owner- occupier renting out their spare room.

EBearhug Fri 22-Mar-19 13:04:12

On that salary, house share, but if you can find one, get a room with an en-suite, so at least you have your own bathroom.

howmanybiscuits Fri 22-Mar-19 13:06:22

An owner- occupier renting out their spare room

Although I've rented rooms to lodgers, if I was looking for a room myself, I'd much rather house share than lodging. If you're in someone's house the power balance us clear- they're in charge and what they day goes. You have no rights in lodgings - you can be chucked out with little notice.

In a house share you're all equal and you have much more rights as a tenant not a lodger.

BlueSkiesLies Fri 22-Mar-19 13:28:51

House share. But take your time to find the right one with the right mix of people.

googleismyfriend Fri 22-Mar-19 13:33:59

I think a lot of people are making their responses based on 20k in e.g. London?

20k in the city I'm moving to is a decent wage for a new graduate and the estate agent said a salary of 19k is enough to get a 1 bed here

TheFlis12345 Fri 22-Mar-19 13:34:13

You need to consider not just the increased rent cost of living alone but also the massively increased bills. You will be paying 75% council tax plus 100% of the other bills.

RandomMess Fri 22-Mar-19 13:36:22

What length contract is it with the house share? New city it may be very helpful to have contacts outside of work until you find your feet, hobbies, friends etc.

For 6 months it could be good?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: