Talk

Advanced search

I accidentally booked Truro, Canada, instead of the SW of England.

(189 Posts)
TheBigFatMermaid Thu 21-Mar-19 20:28:24

So, we have to go to Truro in the South West soon, for a weekend, for DDs obsession hobby. So, as usual, we had a good look on Booking.com.I like the lack of paying for cancellation.

I was looking on the app on my phone, DP was looking on his phone. He found a place that was far cheaper than any I could see. He kept on about it, until I asked him the name, googled it and got taken to it via the App. It gave the price in £££, so I booked it. It looked lovely.

The booking confirmation came through and it was in CAD! Took me a while to work out that meant Canadian Dollars. Then I looked and saw it was Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada. Lucky I could cancel straight away, but DD thinks it's hilarious, so, well I thought I would share our stupidity with you, so you can have a laugh and maybe make me feel better with similar tales.

MrsFiddymont Thu 21-Mar-19 20:33:39

Had a similar mix up with Newport, Wales and isle of Wight...costly mistake.

Chocolateisfab Thu 21-Mar-19 20:33:45

Last year I came across a recipe for salmon and watercress fish cakes.
Dh does the shopping so I added the ingredients to the list.
Pottering on starting tea I gathered up everything I needed.
Dh said the cress was in the fridge.
The salad cress....

TheBigFatMermaid Thu 21-Mar-19 21:27:06

I feel marginally less stupid now.

duckme Thu 21-Mar-19 21:46:59

Arthur Christmas had the same issue smile🎅🏻

nombrecambio Thu 21-Mar-19 21:48:32

Arthur Christmas went to Truro in Mexico, I think!

OneKeyAtATime Thu 21-Mar-19 22:01:05

My husband almost booked car rental at kefalonia airport (Greece) instead of Kevlavik airport ( Iceland). Explains why it was unusually cheap for Iceland!

ketchupormayo Thu 21-Mar-19 22:05:55

DH booked a bnb for Canada in June instead of July and didn't realise till they emailed on the day asking what time we were arriving. Costly mistake 🤦🏼‍♀️

TheBigFatMermaid Thu 21-Mar-19 22:07:20

Arthur Christmas isn't real, it is a cartoon and was done for comedy effect- not making me feel better! grin

OneKey, only almost. Thank goodness for Booking.com policy of paying nearer the time!

RevealTheLegend Thu 21-Mar-19 22:08:36

I booked a £300 flight Departing the day I booked the flight, not the day I wanted to fly.

Never lived that down

knitandpearl Thu 21-Mar-19 22:12:20

Dh booked train tickets for 7am rather than 7pm once...

greenelephantscarf Thu 21-Mar-19 22:13:06

I once booked flights the wrong way round for a weekend away.
noticed when at the airport trying to check the bag in...

Bananasarenottheonlyfruit Thu 21-Mar-19 22:26:40

I did the same thing on booking.com.

Was sitting at an airport having missed a flight, it was late night etc, booked a local hotel to get a few hours snooze. Only to discover there was a hotel with same name in a town with the same name at the other end of the country.

Anothertempusername Thu 21-Mar-19 22:38:23

My sister booked her driving test in Londonderry instead of London; she thought it was a suburb she was 25

DustyMaiden Thu 21-Mar-19 22:42:17

My DD who lives near Truro booked gymnastics classes for her DD in Canada.

MissDai5y Thu 21-Mar-19 22:49:48

My exP booked a hotel for 1 night in Newcastle, South Africa instead of Newcastle upon Tyne once.

I didn't even know there was one there.

TolstoyAteMyHamster Thu 21-Mar-19 23:03:55

Nice fish and chip shop in Truro, NS!
I remember a tale of a colleague who ended up in Dakar in Senegal when he was meant to be in Dhaka, Bangladesh, after his PA booked the wrong flight - he actually got on the plane and only realised when he saw the map come up on the screen.

MulhuddartDrive Thu 21-Mar-19 23:04:17

I booked flights online for the wrong day. Realised immediately I clicked confirm. Rang customer service and a very nice woman rebooked them for me without penalty. Hung up the phone and realised I'd managed to rebook for a different but equally wrong date. Rang back. Same nice woman answered the phone. She laughed out loud (really) at me.

LarryGreysonsDoor Thu 21-Mar-19 23:09:13

I panic so much about stuff like this.

selfishcrab Thu 21-Mar-19 23:10:16

DH booked a holiday for himself and DSS - he'd booked it a week before we starting dating so all on him!
What he didn't realise until the last day of his holiday was that flight departed London but return was Manchester - he just thought he'd booked a really good deal!
Apparently a taxi from Manchester to gatwick was 'fucking' expensive.

EduCated Thu 21-Mar-19 23:13:15

We booked the hotel from the day after we arrived. As we found out when we tried to check in blush very nice receptionist sorted it out, care of our credit card.

We vowed never to speak of it again.

KnitterOfSocks Thu 21-Mar-19 23:14:40

There are 4 schools called St Nicholas Primary in our county. Made an appointment with the wrong one, turned up at the right one and they had no idea it was coming.

My SIL applied for the wrong St Andrews school for my nephew, the one 18 miles away instead of the one round the corner - luckily she did realise before the applications closed!

Laterthanyouthink Thu 21-Mar-19 23:19:18

This thread reminded me of this old news story about a tourist who ended up in Torquay instead of Turkey!

http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/may97/0624.html

Hollowvictory Thu 21-Mar-19 23:21:34

The couple who turned up at Birmingham Airport for their bargain flight to Vegas only to find they'd booked it from Birmingham, Alabama
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/couple-lose-1200-wrong-birmingham-booking-birthday-trip-las-vegas-a7005156.html

Rascallsall Thu 21-Mar-19 23:26:50

Many, many years ago when I was a young cabin crew member, a passenger asked why we weren't landing, a couple of hours into a flight to the Caribbean. He had booked a flight into Gatwick with a travel agent with a connecting flight to somewhere in Europe. Unfortunately our destination in the Caribbean had the same name/similar name 😱 (sorry I have forgotten the names of the places). Considering he was going to spend almost 24 hours on an airplane going to and from the Caribbean he was amazingly calm but not a mistake you would make twice 😬

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: