Talk

Advanced search

living without the dishwasher

(169 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

tippyteapot Mon 18-Mar-19 20:16:39

I`ve got a dishwasher, had it years. I`ve got used to having it....

How common is it to NOT have one? 1 or 2 houses I`m looking at don`t have dishwasher space and I`m thinking about how I`d manage without one again. I think I would be fine. First world problem I know!

BluebadgenPIP Mon 18-Mar-19 20:17:20

I don’t have one. Me and 2 teen kids here it’s fine.

Whynham Mon 18-Mar-19 20:17:51

I haven't got one, the kitchen isn't big enough.

C0untDucku1a Mon 18-Mar-19 20:18:43

Mine broke last week. I miss it more than i miss my husband when he works abroad.

Badwifey Mon 18-Mar-19 20:19:09

I've just moved to an apartment without one having had one for 10years. It's a pain to be honest but you get used to it fairly quickly again. I just find my kitchen looks messing all the time with dishes waiting to be washed or drying on the draining board

ItchySeveredFoot Mon 18-Mar-19 20:19:12

I just read that using a dishwasher can save you over 200 hours annually. So no I wouldn't want to not have one.

Pauperlil Mon 18-Mar-19 20:19:18

I couldn't live without one

Peanut91 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:19:24

I hated not having a dishwasher and it was one of the key factors when looking for a house that there must be room for one.

I would never go without again

Lostalot Mon 18-Mar-19 20:20:36

I haven't had one for about a year. Used to it now. Tbh the stacking and unstacking was quite annoying. It not much more work just to wash them.

Singlenotsingle Mon 18-Mar-19 20:20:46

I wouldn't want to be without mine. If you've got a particular little luxury, why give it up? Back to mounds of dirty dishes waiting to be washed, THEN you have to dry them, THEN put them away - time after time, day after day! Ad infinitum, til the end of time.....

Sparklingbrook Mon 18-Mar-19 20:21:26

I love my dishwasher. I suppose if you have found your dream home but you would have to live without one that's the compromise.

I know at least two families who have one and don't use it. confused

tippyteapot Mon 18-Mar-19 20:22:33

wouldn`t need so many mugs.......

elephantoverthehill Mon 18-Mar-19 20:22:47

It can't be done. Could you fit a half size one in? Or make the washing up a family bonding session, one washing, one drying and one putting away. This only works if you eat all meals together and you don't have teenagers that find encrusted cereal bowls and half empty cups of tea in their rooms.

CrispbuttyNo1 Mon 18-Mar-19 20:24:58

I'm 50 and I've never had one.

KoraBora Mon 18-Mar-19 20:28:05

When we redid our little kitchen my main focus was getting a dishwasher in. Could you sacrifice a lower cupboard to fit one it or do you not have space in the right area? You could maybe add a taller larder style cupboard somewhere else to get the space back? Or even some nice shelves with neatly labelled jars? I only managed it as we have an outside lean close to a water supply and drains so I created a utility there for the washer. But I was already ripping out the kitchen so drilling through to connect the lean to with water wasn't an issue.

You can live without one but I love how much easier life is with one. After dinner the kitchen can be clean in 10 minutes and with stays tidy through the day.

MigThePig Mon 18-Mar-19 20:28:48

I've never had one, I'm the only person under 70 I know who doesn't though.

Mostly I fucking hate the constant washing up but is is doable and sometimes it's even a bit of break to put headphones on and go and wash up.

We don't have a tumble drier either, or a garden, I feel like I live on a different planet from most people. sad

< wanders off to buy lottery ticket... >

woodhill Mon 18-Mar-19 20:32:11

Love mine, would never give it up

Notso Mon 18-Mar-19 20:32:15

Ours broke a couple of months ago, my teens did a lot of complaining about washing up. It was ok but we swiftly got a new one.

Jamise Mon 18-Mar-19 20:34:07

I got rid of mine couple of months ago when kitchen got renovated. I've not missed it, I cook lots but washing up never takes that long and I just let it dry on the dish drainer.

RaininSummer Mon 18-Mar-19 20:35:09

Never had one and washing up has never seemed a big deal. Takes around ten minutes if that on a normal day.

FaFoutis Mon 18-Mar-19 20:35:47

I don't have one, could afford one and plenty of room in the kitchen, but washing up is a break for me. That's how much fun my life is.

Gramgram Mon 18-Mar-19 20:36:09

We don't have one. I got asked recently how old various electrical appliances were in my possession, I told them my dishwasher was 63 years old, which is true, my DH is an excellent dishwasher. smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 18-Mar-19 20:36:34

If you have never had one then it's probably hard to see the big deal. But to be used to having one then be without is different.

burritofan Mon 18-Mar-19 20:36:36

We just retrofitted a slimline one and choirs of angels immediately appeared in my kitchen. I honestly look at it each day with cartoon heart-eyes-on-stalks.

dontcallmelen Mon 18-Mar-19 20:36:47

I have never had one, so I suppose you can’t miss what you have never had, when dcs were young they used to take it turns to wash & dry, now Dh mainly does it & when we have fairly large gatherings I use a few disposable baking trays/dishes which cuts down a lot of the washing up (probably not great for the environment, but only a few times a year)
We do have space for one, just never really been something I particularly want.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: