Talk

Advanced search

I made a twat of myself yesterday..

(34 Posts)
JustAnotherTwat Fri 15-Mar-19 08:15:41

At work. I thought I had made a really bad mistake at work, so I had to report it.. I wasn't full on crying but I had tears in my eyes and my face was doing the trying not to cry twitching thing. Boss was trying to reassure me that it was ok, if it had happened it had happened, I wasn't going to be sacked, and I wasn't to worry.. but I was upset. He wouldn't let me go home worried, so went and checked with the relevant office to see if I had actually made the mistake. I hadn't. Felt like a total and utter twat. Pretty sure boss thought I was too. I promised never to be so ridiculous again. Please tell me it's not just me who gets so scared and upset about making a huge mistake at work.

Rainbowsandsnowdrops Fri 15-Mar-19 10:10:17

No big deal. You obviously care about your work and that’s a good thing. smile

Your boss sounds really nice, don’t be so hard on yourself.

TooTrueToBeGood Fri 15-Mar-19 10:18:26

You're not a twat, quite the opposite. You did absolutely the right thing and i expect you have gone up in your boss's opinion.

Bluntness100 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:19:07

We all do this, my boss said something to me th oth r day that I wanted to hear and my voice broke, I was mortified and hoped he hadn't understood it, but I suspect he did.

My daughter is in her first proper job, and recently called out an opposing lawyer on something he had said he had done and hadn't, and she had checked with court, the man wrote an email complaining, copied in three senior partners, and said she was the most arrogant, opportunistic etc etc person he'd had the misfortune to work with, that he was a lawyer of thirty years standing, and she had no right to question him.

She panicked, printed it out and went to thr partner who runs her department all upset with the lines "I think I should tell you I've had a formal complaint before you read the email". But he just burst out laughing and said yes, opposing counsel is often like that, the other partner sent her an email with a laughing face on it, and the third decided they should black ball them due to the way they treated staff.

Although she intellectually knew she'd done nothing wrong, the man had made a mistake and it was a problem, she panicked, and got upset and shakey about it and then was a mix of relieved and embarqssed by her reaction to it.

Hoppinggreen Fri 15-Mar-19 10:19:09

I’m sorry, I misunderstood that when he wouldn’t let you go home upset it meant that you asked to but now I see I was wrong
Apologies x

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 15-Mar-19 10:27:34

You're not an idiot at all. Shows you care! As a line manager I honestly wouldn't think anything negative about you.

Purplecatshopaholic Fri 15-Mar-19 10:54:12

Oh come on, it happens. We are all human. Your boss sounds lovely which must help BTW. Forgive yourself and forget about it!

BoobiesToTheRescue Fri 15-Mar-19 11:07:33

The fact that you did panic, shows how much you care about getting it right.

And that's why you had an excellent work review the day before.

You're clearly good at your job, and if that means occasionally having a 5 minute drama about nothing then it's worth it and I'm sure all your bosses would agree.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 15-Mar-19 11:15:06

You have not made a twat of yourself. On the contrary, you have clearly demonstrated to your boss that your work really matters to you, and that he can trust you absolutely. You chose to alert him to a potential problem rather than cover it up, to your own potential detriment. You have done yourself no harm whatsoever. ((hug))

JustAnotherTwat Fri 15-Mar-19 12:19:42

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your input flowers

@HoppingGreen No worries, I wasn't terribly clear flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »