Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else write posts and then delete?

(79 Posts)
Thisisthelaststraw Thu 21-Feb-19 19:20:16

I’ve been here on and off since 2006 but my confidence to post has never improved.

I find myself writing a reply, re reading to review it then thinking “no, no, you’re a gobshite. People will tut or laugh or argue with you etc” so I delete and just read other comments.

I’ve wanted to post a few threads too but always delete when I’ve composed them as I’m sure I just come across as an idiot.

In rl I’m riddled with anxiety but I can be full of banter and witty retorts and genuinely make people laugh or listen to my point of view but on MN I get the jitters! grin

I kill threads all over the place too.

So am I just a weirdo with zero confidence or do other normally articulate and confident people shy away from commenting too?

Thisisthelaststraw Thu 21-Feb-19 19:35:46

Hahahaha ffs, tumbleweed gringringrin

Stupid fuckin’ thread!

<<runs off cackling maniacally>>

Redglitter Thu 21-Feb-19 19:37:27

Frequently. I usually delete because if i posted what i wanted to say id get banned 😉

foxessocks Thu 21-Feb-19 19:37:28

You know everyone is writing something but deleting it so there will be no responses to this grin

But yes, in all seriousness, I do this all the time!!

I'll post this time though smile

PhilomenaButterfly Thu 21-Feb-19 19:37:34

I do sometimes because I'm autistic and over explain.

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 21-Feb-19 19:37:56

I've also been here since 2006. I've had my fair share of deletions for being too rude. I still don't post even half of what I'd like to post! I lurk a lot these days.

FabulouslyFab Thu 21-Feb-19 19:37:57

I reply to threads andthen delete them all the time!!
But I promise not to delete this one!
grin

pink412 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:38:50

Yes, it helps me understand things better and if I don’t they then get posted

Isleepinahedgefund Thu 21-Feb-19 19:39:35

Yep I do this all the time too! Glad it's not just me.

GreenThing Thu 21-Feb-19 19:39:45

Weirdly I quite often type out a (brilliant) reply, and when I press 'post' I get an 'oops, something went wrong here' page.

I think the internet is saving me from myself. grin

Frlrlrubert Thu 21-Feb-19 19:40:45

All the time. Usually because I've done that thing where I've gone 'oh, I had a situation like that' and written all about it and then though, 'nah, nobody cares, someone already made my point but shorter and better'.

DramaAlpaca Thu 21-Feb-19 19:41:26

I type & delete all the flippin' time.

marvellousnightforamooncup Thu 21-Feb-19 19:41:29

I do this all the time. Usually because of outing details or too long-winded posts or just cba to finish writing.

AlrightBabby Thu 21-Feb-19 19:41:34

Yeah, and I seem to kill threads too. If I start a thread I'm lucky to get a dozen replies

Elephantina Thu 21-Feb-19 19:42:12

Haha all the time! If I think I'm being hilarious, or kind, or helpful, I'll risk it. But more often than not I read it back and find what appears to be a load of self-indulgent shite that no-one gives a fuck about, and delete it.

I'm a total thread killer, I love looking through my "watching" threads and see that mine was the last comment on all of them...

Catsandbootsandbootsandcats Thu 21-Feb-19 19:43:18

Yes! All the time. You are not alone.

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 21-Feb-19 19:43:59

I do it for a number of reasons:

I over explain or add outing details.

I'm adding nothing to the discussion that hasn't been said before.

I don't want my comments in a tabloid newspaper.

HeronLanyon Thu 21-Feb-19 19:47:05

I tend to delete things when someone is in real trouble. I look at what I’ve written and thing ‘hang on I’m not a mental health professional’ or similar. Usually rewrite with more general message of support, less advice, in those circs.

PenguinPandas Thu 21-Feb-19 19:47:34

I tend to delete if I think someone's going to argue and one or two names you know always insist they are right and argue. Though sometimes I forget and post then I regret it but its not often most people are lovely.

Thisisthelaststraw Thu 21-Feb-19 19:49:58

Yay, thanks for posting and not leaving me blowing around with the tumbleweed grin

Glad it’s not just me.

why1stheRumgon3 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:52:10

I do that alot. I'll type a reply then delete it because I think it wasn't good enough but then another poster will post exactly what I was thinking. It's a confidence thing for me.

AllGoodDogs Thu 21-Feb-19 19:52:48

All the time. I see brutal replies to what I think are perfectly viable posts all the time so often bottle it in lieu of getting roasted.

BartonHollow Thu 21-Feb-19 19:54:18

Oh good God all the time

Is arguing with this idiot worth it? usually

Is this comment too bitchy? sometimes

If I am only replying to say it's have not Of am I being a cunt?

And with a certain type of thread, I usually find my blood boiling so much and what I have to say falling on deaf ears anyway and then it becomes "leave it it's not worth it"

BartonHollow Thu 21-Feb-19 19:55:14

Oh and yes

If I say what I want to say to you I will be banned is another deterrent

WitsEnding Thu 21-Feb-19 19:55:29

Often, but not deliberately- another window pops up from some other app and I lose my typing. Sometimes more than once. This can mean that by the time I've managed to share my message it can be a bit terse, which is unintentional.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: