Talk

Advanced search

Our washing machine almost caught fire

(38 Posts)
Peopleplease Thu 21-Feb-19 16:34:56

I usually put on a wash before I head out to do the school run. For a while the washing machine had been making a knocking/banging noise but I figured use it till it gives up.

Today the kids are off on half term and DH is on a sick day so I was late putting on a wash. DH was in the kitchen and noticed the washing machine had started smoking! He plugged it out and we’ll get a new one at the weekend but it’s so scary how it can happen!!

Washingproblem Thu 21-Feb-19 16:38:23

Scary! Are you okay OP?

Someone else mentioned something similar on page 2 of my thread about clothes getting ruined www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3505524-Please-help-washing-machine-keeps-ruining-my-clothes

Sounds like we all need to pay more attention to getting things fixed.

flowers

greenelephantscarf Thu 21-Feb-19 16:39:37

water + electricity = recipy for fire...
ever ever let the washer run unattended.
your insurance might not pay to rebuild your house.

GooodMythicalMorning Thu 21-Feb-19 16:43:01

I cant leave mine on when out, im terrified something like that would happen. plus we have pets so definitely a no no. They go up so quick.

NicoAndTheNiners Thu 21-Feb-19 16:44:43

I would ring the manufacturers and tell them even if it's out of warranty.

I had this happen to a 2yo dishwasher and rang Zannusi mainly because I thought they ought to know. Turns out there was a parts recall which I knew nothing about. They sent an engineer round who replaced the part and promised me it was now as safe as any other machine.

NicoAndTheNiners Thu 21-Feb-19 16:45:58

Though I think a knocking noise indicates the bearings are knackered on the drum so guess that could be a wear and tear thing and then if the drum is catching it could heat up/catch fire. Glad you're ok.

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Thu 21-Feb-19 16:48:34

I learnt from a neighbours fire to never leave the washing machine or a dryer running when no one is home or when everyone is asleep.

Once something goes wrong and can catch fire, it doesn't take that long for them to get out of hand.

troubleswillbeoutofsight Thu 21-Feb-19 16:49:14

This is terrifying. My washing machine is in my outhouse and I often put it on before I go to bed or before going out. I’m going to stop doing this now

Peopleplease Thu 21-Feb-19 17:08:40

To be honest if I’d been here on my own with my 2 year old I probably would have just panicked. We do have a fire blanket but I just went looking and it was buried at the bottom of a press.

FaithInfinity Thu 21-Feb-19 17:13:23

I’m glad you were in and it was dealt with quickly.

We had a fire when a food processor caught fire in the night. It was pretty bad (we were in rented accommodation for months while the repairs were done). I would always say do not run appliances while you are out or sleeping. We were told categorically that if we hadn’t had smoke detectors they’d have been pulling our bodies out 😕

avocadochocolate Thu 21-Feb-19 17:14:48

I used to work for a well known laptop manufacturer. There was one particular model that had a habit of spontaneously catching fire. Some of them came back to us at HQ for examination.

DisrespectfulAdultFemale Thu 21-Feb-19 17:16:27

Jeez, OP. Glad it was caught in time.

FrostedSnowdrops Thu 21-Feb-19 17:20:57

I'm another who never leaves washers or dryers or dishwashers on at bedtime or when we go out. Super scary. Glad you were home and it was dealt with before it developed further!

FixTheBone Thu 21-Feb-19 17:22:06

@greenelephantscarf

ours runs for about 7 hours a day, that's pretty restrictive if you need to stay at home...

gamerchick Thu 21-Feb-19 17:27:58

ours runs for about 7 hours a day, that's pretty restrictive if you need to stay at home

Then you can make an informed choice.

There's no point in arguing your case because you have to go out sometimes or you don't have the time to supervise. Just know you're taking a risk and that your insurance may not pay out if it burns your house down.

Peopleplease Thu 21-Feb-19 17:34:42

I also feel the need to double check my insurance policy now (not that I ever plan to leave it unattended again!)

IndigoSpritz Thu 21-Feb-19 17:36:27

I'll count myself lucky. My Indesit stopped halfway through its cycle this morning and has defied all my 'repair' attempts.

MountainPeakGeek Thu 21-Feb-19 17:41:48

...your insurance may not pay out if it burns your house down.

Where do you get that idea from? Not disputing that the ideal situation is not to run a washing machine unattended, but I really cannot see any insurance company stating that the homeowner is being negligent if they do!?

ladybirdsarelovely33 Thu 21-Feb-19 17:46:40

Yes washing machines should not be catching fire. Which manufacturer advises you have to be present when the machine is working? None.
It doesn't void your insurance if you are not there if it goes up in flames.

gamerchick Thu 21-Feb-19 17:57:42

Really? Have you actually checked the t&cs?

Insurance is about unforseen risk. Washers and dryers are near the top of the fire hazard risk. How many people read instructions that come with a washer other than what the buttons do? Many people will stop a drier mid cycle if they have to go out, you shouldn't do that either.

Tbh it's something you can check for yourselves. I'm really not arsed whether you think it's true or not. grin

gamerchick Thu 21-Feb-19 17:57:59

*list

Harumphharagh Thu 21-Feb-19 17:59:56

How did your food processor catch fire in middle of night, pp?

greenelephantscarf Thu 21-Feb-19 18:02:14

actually, the manual of my washing mashine says to never run it unattended.
and also ti switch it off at the socket and to disconnect from water if not in use.

BettyUnderswoob Thu 21-Feb-19 18:10:53

Yes, I'd read that you must never let those big appliances tum when you're out or overnight, so I don't.

I'm baffled as to how a PP has one on 7 hours per day! Super environmentally unfriendly apart from anything else!

BettyUnderswoob Thu 21-Feb-19 18:11:20

tum = run

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: