Talk

Advanced search

London with a 5yo

(10 Posts)
anothernewone Thu 21-Feb-19 15:00:17

I'm looking to take ds into London for a couple of days in the spring.
Was thinking natural history and maybe science museum, but does anyone have any must do's or top tips?
We're from 'Up north but I travel down frequently with work etc so tube/geography etc is not an issue

Budsbegginingspringinsight Thu 21-Feb-19 15:54:43

Museum of London is often missed gem, also close to st Paul and bridge across Thames too Tate modern... then lesuirely stroll down south bank towards wheel... then...huge play area right by wheel opposite houses of parliament.
Walk up through Westminster...up too Trafalgar Square... then make way too China town for lunch... dinner.

RaiderOfTheKitchenCupboard Thu 21-Feb-19 16:29:31

My 5yo loves the Lego store.

Ricekrispie22 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:39:27

The Mudlarks gallery at the Museum of London Docklands is a must for any 5yo boy! It’s a bit out of the way, but free and defiantly worth the travel.
www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london-docklands/permanent-galleries/mudlarks-childrens-gallery
The Transport Museum is great for young boys as there are lots of vehicles for them to clamber over and pretend to drive! The All Aboard play zone is fantastic www.ltmuseum.co.uk/learning/families/visiting and there’s a new gallery called Future Engineers www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/year-of-engineering/future-engineers
Coram’s Fields is a huge adventure playground and park with petting zoo, sandpits, zip wire and one of the largest slides in central London! www.coramsfields.org/park-playground/
My DS used to love watching Tower Bridge lift. You can find their lifting times online here www.towerbridge.org.uk/lift-times/

corlan Thu 21-Feb-19 16:42:33

Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington gardens is near the museums and brilliant for kids. You can sit down and have a break while you watch them play :- [[ www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/kensington-gardens/things-to-see-and-do/diana-memorial-playgroun]]d

MillytantForceit Thu 21-Feb-19 16:42:56

Zoo

River Boat

DLR (Driver with no train, sit at the front) to Greenwich and the Meridian line.

Weepingwillows12 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:46:44

My ds enjoys travelling around. Greenwich to do the skyline then river boat back to Westminster under Tower Bridge then cross to South Bank and go on the carousel and eat ice cream was a winner for us. He did enjoy the dinosaurs and animals room but was a bit young for a lot of it. Same with the British museum (but if you go to a desk they do free packs for kids with challenges etc)

Weepingwillows12 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:47:43

Sorry should have said he enjoyed the dinosaurs and animals at Natural History Museum. I find that he gets tired quick as there's loads of walking.

Myfanwyprice Thu 21-Feb-19 16:49:12

My dc have been asking to go on the golden hinde at Bankside forever, I finally gave in this week and it was a great way to spend an hour. The girl working there was great, telling stories about treasure and how the guns work.

It is £5 a person, so a bit pricey for something that doesn’t take long, but was really fun.

We also love the Tower of London, and both London museums (Barbican and docklands). The science museum and natural history are obviously great, but can be so busy, whereas the London museums are usually a bit quieter, but just as interesting.

anothernewone Thu 21-Feb-19 17:31:14

Thank you for the great suggestions- we're staying in Kensington so will definitely go to the memorial park.

I might save some of the others until we're next down with his younger brother- he would love the transport museum I think!

Not sure we would ever get out the Lego shop raider!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: