Talk

Advanced search

Existential crises - anyone else get them?

(8 Posts)
Overcoming Thu 21-Feb-19 14:12:33

Ever since I was a child I've always thought deeply about the meaning of life and my purpose for being here. It's something I find very difficult to shake off - it's this constant monologue running through my head. I'm always thinking about what kind of life I want to live, picking apart my values and my overall purpose in life. I feel so many people just go through the expected motions in life, work, buy a house, marry, have children without really even thinking about whether it's right for them. I have the opposite problem, where I'm constantly reassessing what I want to the point where I get so confused and paralysed in inaction.

Understandably it gets very tiring to live like this! I wish I could just switch off this part of my brain and I find it difficult to relate to the ease and pragmatism with which other people approach their lives. I think almost every day about whether I'm actually happy in my marriage, in my job, my life trajectory. I know it sounds crazy but it's the way I've always been. My friends joke about how I'm in a permanent state of existential crisis and it's true. Can anyone else relate?

marvellousnightforamooncup Thu 21-Feb-19 14:18:10

No, I just coast along counting my blessings. Whenever I'm upset I get out for a walk or run or into the garden. The natural seasons ground me. Seeing the birds, the wild flowers, making things grow.

I've often felt I could have done things better, had a better career and more success but I enjoy my life so if anyone judges me, sod them.

anitagreen Thu 21-Feb-19 14:19:05

I feel like that op I think it's anxiety

Overcoming Thu 21-Feb-19 14:51:54

I've never been a coasting sort of person - it just never happens with me! I think part of it is anxiety for sure but it's also this obsessive need to understand, to question, unravel things.

randomlygenorated Thu 21-Feb-19 15:08:12

I get this!

I think it's definitely an anxiety thing, and weirdly I usually get it in summer, warm peaceful days where the birds are singing and the sun is shining I can be just going about my business and this feeling like a wave of fear comes over me and I question what it's all about, I think it's the fear of insignificance for me, like how can I possibly mean anything compared to all else there is in the world!

I've often wondered if I have SAD but the opposite of most, I'm much less anxious, calmer and more at peace in winter.

Calvinsmam Thu 21-Feb-19 15:11:08

Oh I get this!!

Sudden, ‘I’m going to die and it could happen at any time and it could hurt, but it WILL happen’ thoughts.

Horrible.

I thought everyone got them.

Thecrown3 Thu 21-Feb-19 16:35:39

I get this too- I constantly second guess myself, also worry that life can flip so quickly and we re never far from being homeless or ill or any other worry like it.
I can’t turn it off.constantly doubt my partner loves me ( after 2 cheating husbands). I can’t relax .. ever... it’s like a crisis is just around the corner permanently..

Thecrown3 Thu 21-Feb-19 18:18:23

Have no idea how to stop it though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »