Talk

Advanced search

I can't believe Mumsnet lied to me...

(33 Posts)
SneakyGremlins Thu 21-Feb-19 07:28:01

About oat milk. I was promised rich, creamy, delicious porridge-esque milk, according to about 150 posters on a huge thread a few months back.

I got basically hint of oat juice sad

Loveglee Thu 21-Feb-19 07:35:50

Did you buy the right kind? You need Oatly Barista for the creamy hit!

Chimmychunga Thu 21-Feb-19 07:37:25

Did you give the carton a good shake

SneakyGremlins Thu 21-Feb-19 07:40:55

I definitely shook it!

I was told to get the Alpro one, it was a thread about milk substitutes and skin conditions or something grin

MadauntofA Thu 21-Feb-19 07:42:27

Have tested many dairy free milks, I would definitely try the oatley one - far superior to the alpro in taste

MamaDane Thu 21-Feb-19 07:43:54

The hazelnut one is actually okay, as is soy, but I've tried rice, oat and almond milk and they were all terrible.
Sorry MN lied to you grin

Iggly Thu 21-Feb-19 07:44:02

Oatly is nice but you need to a) give it a damn good shake b) buy the blue version c) drink it cold.

MadauntofA Thu 21-Feb-19 07:44:25

And when you shake it, you have to SHAKE it till your arm is about to fall off, a standard shake won't cut it - the thicker milk settles.

FamilyOfAliens Thu 21-Feb-19 07:45:47

I would recommend the Innocent unsweetened one.

It has the added advantage that the plastic bottle can be recycled, unlike the ones that come in tetrapaks.

SneakyGremlins Thu 21-Feb-19 07:45:51

Where do I get Oatly? grin

I hope you're not lying again grin

Biancadelrioisback Thu 21-Feb-19 07:47:56

I feel exactly the same after I was told that shoe liners were a good solution for ballet pumps

PenelopeFlintstone Thu 21-Feb-19 07:49:44

I hope you're not lying again
grin

BangingOn Thu 21-Feb-19 08:03:23

Alpro oat milk is sadness in a carton. Oatly is far superior although you do have to shake it like crazy.

SneakyGremlins Thu 21-Feb-19 08:10:36

Where do I get it? Didn't see it in the supermarket.

"Sadness in a carton" grin

JQBased Thu 21-Feb-19 08:10:56

Cant believe mumsnet lied to you? Have you read some of the contributions to theads on here? I usually treat mumsnet as a source of entertainment only grin

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Thu 21-Feb-19 08:21:07

i have seen the oatly stuff in tesco. Apparently the barista stuff foams so all the not dairy folks can have their froth and not have to put up with tragic non frothy coffees

NB I am the person least likely to ever buy anything non dairy like ever. Ever ever.
It vexes me...row upon row upon row of not milk. But then the multitude of yogurts, juices and washign powders also vex me

I like aldi and lidl, basic options with the occasional fancy promotional item. grin No one needs 143 typs of laundry product to choose from.

BangingOn Thu 21-Feb-19 09:34:47

I buy from Ocado but have seen it in my local Co-Op also.

x2boys Thu 21-Feb-19 09:37:59

Yes they lied to me about Zoflora I was promised lovely smelling floors etc, everyone I have tried has been sickly sweet 😤

lubeybooby Thu 21-Feb-19 09:41:38

I have oatly barista for coffee and the normal oatly for cereal/porridge etc. By far my fave above all alternative 'milks' and actually above normal milk now.

Make sure to shake well though

senua Thu 21-Feb-19 09:44:55

It has the added advantage that the plastic bottle can be recycled, unlike the ones that come in tetrapaks.
Tetrapak is recyclable, isn't it? The one in my cupboard thinks that it is "widely recycled".

SpringForEver Thu 21-Feb-19 10:15:04

Our recycling leaflet has a little picture of tetra packs on it.

Oatly barista is not in evidence in any of our shops any more. I have a carton of hemp milk which I am unsure about.

TSSDNCOP Thu 21-Feb-19 10:45:47

Mumsnet does lie.

<looking at lying liery Next joggers that are waiting to go back>

MadauntofA Thu 21-Feb-19 11:05:56

MN was telling the truth about the fat face joggers - very comfy but completely unsexy - so much so I couldn't buy them!

I wouldn't go near hemp milk - that truly was a box of sadness

averythinline Thu 21-Feb-19 11:12:35

tried a couple of the oat ones....urgh (I am not a dairy fan - but even hoovering teenage ds went yuk) almond and hazlenut have gone down well though.....

MrsTommyBanks Thu 21-Feb-19 11:20:35

I really didn't like the Alpro one. It had a nasty after taste imo.
I agree the Oatly one is lovely. I get the one in the blue carton in Asda.
I'm addicted, I buy five cartons at a time as it's a bus ride away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »