Talk

Advanced search

Dylon machine dye on curtains... not sure if it’d work?

(30 Posts)
JustBeingJobless Wed 20-Feb-19 11:32:46

The curtains on my little caravan are currently a pale salmon pink colour and a bit faded. I was going to make new ones, but there’s not actually anything wrong with them, apart from the colour, and it would save a lot of work if I could dye them. They’re not lined and the fabric is lightweight and isn’t particularly thick (no idea what the fabric is though, but I know they machine wash ok), so fancying giving machine dye a go.

I would ideally like them some shade of grey - what colour would I need to use to go from pale pink to grey? I can’t get my head around it! Would the pink still show or will it be ok with it being really pale? I guess the worst that can happen is they go wrong and I go back to plan a and make some new ones!

Any advice from people that have used the Dylon stuff before? Many thanks smile

Fontella Fri 22-Feb-19 09:02:54

It seems your curtains must be one of these ...

polyester, acrylic, acetate, fiberglass, spandex, or metallic fibers. Bleached fabrics, waterproof fabrics, stain resistant fabrics, and "dry clean only" fabrics are usually off limits, as well.

www.wikihow.com/Dye-Curtains

Angie169 Thu 21-Feb-19 20:52:43

Oh no , so disappointing sad

starlingsintheslipstream Thu 21-Feb-19 16:35:36

Oh, shame. Must be a man made fibre - won't take the dye

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 16:09:38

Nope, not even a hint of grey sad To be fair, I haven’t got a clue what fabric they are as I think they were home made in the first place, so probably acrylic which I don’t think it’s designed for. They’re very lightweight and dry quickly so not a natural fibre. Ah well, I’ll have to dust the sewing machine off then!

Fontella Thu 21-Feb-19 16:01:49

Oh no ... not even a tinge of grey?

Assuming you used the right amount of dye to fabric, and followed all the instructions. I'd be demanding my money back.

I can honestly say, hand on heart I've never had anything stay exactly the same. I've had some very muted results and some strange shade results but I've never had anything stay exactly the same?

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 15:52:32

However, thanks to grey water dribbling down the front of my shiny new washing machine, I’ve discovered it’s leaking a little bit from the bottom of the door, so at least I’m aware and can get that sorted grin Every cloud and all that..,

Back to plan a for the curtains however!

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 15:50:46

They stayed the same hmm

Angie169 Thu 21-Feb-19 15:15:55

Surely they must be done by now . . . . . .

Fontella Thu 21-Feb-19 12:51:54

Ooh Job this is so exciting.

Can you send us a pic of the washing machine going round - only joking not really.

grin

ThunderOnlyHappens Thu 21-Feb-19 11:30:50

I'm intrigued about this, our curtains are a bit old looking but are massive/expensive so maybe dying is the way forward?!

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 11:07:46

Mind you, the seals grey anyway and I’m using grey dye, so wouldn’t imagine it’ll do much smile

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 11:05:05

I hope not, I’ve only had it 4 weeks!!

ImNotKitten Thu 21-Feb-19 10:57:15

Look forward to seeing the results OP!

Does the dye not stain the rubber seal on the washing machine?

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 10:51:31

Oh I will grin Got to nip out in a bit though so will post after pictures later!

starlingsintheslipstream Thu 21-Feb-19 10:44:17

I'm overly invested in this live dying thread! Please post more photos when it's done!

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 10:42:10

Here goes nothing grin

dottyp0104 Wed 20-Feb-19 21:09:27

Thats great thank you. I will give it a try

Angie169 Wed 20-Feb-19 19:21:09

To get the dye to take evenly make sure the marital is wet all over ( dunk in a full sink )
It does depend on what the marital is as to if the dye will take.
Dotty I always buy light-ish coloured jeans and t-shirts then then I fancy a change I dye them often 4 or 5 times going darker each time , often on t-shirts the stitching will stay it's original colour but I like it , it adds to their unique-ness.
It will not harm your washer at all, as PP said just run it on a hot empty wash after.

SpringForEver Wed 20-Feb-19 18:56:52

From experience, anything that is not cotton will not dye properly if at all, that includes the stitching. Sometimes you can end up with the fabric changing colour but not the thread it is sewn with.

Fontella Wed 20-Feb-19 18:39:24

dotty it does nothing to the washer.

You have to do a separate 'empty' wash after you've done the dye wash - so you just run the cycle with detergent etc. but no washing in there.

And then that's it.

I've used bright pink, black, all sorts and never had a problem with the machine after.

JustBeingJobless Wed 20-Feb-19 17:54:02

Here’s the before smile Will add another photo tomorrow providing the Amazon guy delivers early.

dottyp0104 Wed 20-Feb-19 14:44:23

Hi, sorry to jump on the thread, always wanted to use the Dylon to dye jeans that have faded, but worry about the effect on my washing machine. Its brand new, will it ruin it??

Fontella Wed 20-Feb-19 14:41:07

Job - post back and let us know how it turns out - maybe with 'before' and 'after' pics?

grin

I always find it very hit and miss but that's half the fun. It's difficult to work out what fabrics will take and what won't and even reading all the blurb - well it doesn't really help.

I would have thought going grey would be achievable though. It's just black that hasn't taken properly!

JustBeingJobless Wed 20-Feb-19 12:55:12

I’ve taken the plunge and ordered the dye off Amazon so will have a go tomorrow. I’m not overly fussed on the shade they turn out, just want a grey colour as just had the wall and roof lining done in a lovely blue and new flooring in a graphite grey with silver and blue flecks, so I’m aiming for blues/greys. I’ll probably replace them at some point anyway if I’m honest, just would prefer it not to have to be right now, as I have a list of jobs that are more important! Fingers crossed it works smile

Fontella Wed 20-Feb-19 12:45:41

I've dyed loads of things over the years, even bath towels and yards and yards of voile curtain panels when I redecorated my lounge and didn't want to spend a fortune on new curtains for the patio doors.

it doesn't always turn out exactly as I'd hoped, but you always get a result of some sort. Some fabrics take beautifully, others don't and you get a more muted tone .. but you do get a result. It's whether you find that result pleasing or not.

The voile panels didn't take particularly well. I was trying to dye them from a beige colour to a pale pink. They came out still beige but with a pinky tinge and although initially disappointed - the more subtle shade actually worked better with the new decor.

If the fabric is good then give it a go. You've got nothing to lose other than the cost of the dye.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »