Talk

Advanced search

Dylon machine dye on curtains... not sure if it’d work?

(30 Posts)
JustBeingJobless Wed 20-Feb-19 11:32:46

The curtains on my little caravan are currently a pale salmon pink colour and a bit faded. I was going to make new ones, but there’s not actually anything wrong with them, apart from the colour, and it would save a lot of work if I could dye them. They’re not lined and the fabric is lightweight and isn’t particularly thick (no idea what the fabric is though, but I know they machine wash ok), so fancying giving machine dye a go.

I would ideally like them some shade of grey - what colour would I need to use to go from pale pink to grey? I can’t get my head around it! Would the pink still show or will it be ok with it being really pale? I guess the worst that can happen is they go wrong and I go back to plan a and make some new ones!

Any advice from people that have used the Dylon stuff before? Many thanks smile

Fontella Thu 21-Feb-19 16:01:49

Oh no ... not even a tinge of grey?

Assuming you used the right amount of dye to fabric, and followed all the instructions. I'd be demanding my money back.

I can honestly say, hand on heart I've never had anything stay exactly the same. I've had some very muted results and some strange shade results but I've never had anything stay exactly the same?

JustBeingJobless Thu 21-Feb-19 16:09:38

Nope, not even a hint of grey sad To be fair, I haven’t got a clue what fabric they are as I think they were home made in the first place, so probably acrylic which I don’t think it’s designed for. They’re very lightweight and dry quickly so not a natural fibre. Ah well, I’ll have to dust the sewing machine off then!

starlingsintheslipstream Thu 21-Feb-19 16:35:36

Oh, shame. Must be a man made fibre - won't take the dye

Angie169 Thu 21-Feb-19 20:52:43

Oh no , so disappointing sad

Fontella Fri 22-Feb-19 09:02:54

It seems your curtains must be one of these ...

polyester, acrylic, acetate, fiberglass, spandex, or metallic fibers. Bleached fabrics, waterproof fabrics, stain resistant fabrics, and "dry clean only" fabrics are usually off limits, as well.

www.wikihow.com/Dye-Curtains

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »