Talk

Advanced search

Shamima Begum has her citizenship revoked

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KenAdams Tue 19-Feb-19 18:48:54

How can this happen? I thought they aren't allowed to leave a person stateless? Not that I'm disagreeing, I'm just wondering how they managed it.

ZenNudist Thu 21-Feb-19 20:48:52

I recognise thisis an incredibly complicated area and initially I thought she should not be allowed back. I still don't think we should be mounting a rescue operation to go and get her; she left willingly. I wouldn't be happy about endangering the life of British soldiers to get her back.

I think revoking her citizenship was childish and stupid. It's also made me be more sympathetic towards her when I realised that they were letting male terrorists who had gone to Isis to fight come back to the UK. I think it's a matter of sexism first racism second. Funnily enough white men then Muslim men get different treatment.

Incidentally I am from Manchester and I'm pretty disgusted by her comments about the Manchester bombing being justified.

I feel sorry for her family. I feel sorry for her baby.

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 20:53:39

SB apparently wasn’t born to a British Citizen but mum and SB acquired it later. Her mother was Bangladeshi when SB was born so therefore sobers SB. . It’s quite possible that Bangladesh isn’t being completely honest. They say she has no ties but mum and dad are Bangladeshi and dad lives in Bangladesh. Can’t say I blame them though. Who in their right mind would want someone like SB in their country,

Rafals you sound like you hate the UK. Sad really sad.

RedWineIsFabulous Thu 21-Feb-19 20:58:03

Some of these posts in support for her are absolutely fucking balmy.

Thank fuck the rest of the public aren’t all do gooders like on here. Thank fuck SJ is doing is job and keeping out more potential danger and threats.

Take it you’ve all forgotten about Lee Rigby and the Manchester bombings and killing innocent British citizens which this scum bag supports and condones.

Seriously. My mind boggles.

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 20:58:34

So was SB

Justanotherlurker Thu 21-Feb-19 21:02:10

think revoking her citizenship was childish and stupid. It's also made me be more sympathetic towards her when I realised that they were letting male terrorists who had gone to Isis to fight come back to the UK.

Stop trying to bring sex into this argument, it's getting pure IDpol shite.

The males who returned didn't wait until IS was defeated, and the majority came back with their tail between their legs.

The sexism in this situation is because we should treat an openly unrepentant ISIS supporter differently because she is a brown pregnant women.

This is realpolitik being played out along the IDPOL oppression stack, that's why it's so decisive and gone international.

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 21:06:39

Red I completely agree. It’s madness.

Hopefully whilst it goes through the UK courts and procedures, Syria prosecutes or passed her to Iraq.

Motherofcreek Thu 21-Feb-19 21:07:07

I don't think anyone here supports what's she has done.

I just think there are better ways to manage this rather than the knee jerk reaction

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 21:11:46

Tell me Mother how would you manage it?

Justanotherlurker Thu 21-Feb-19 21:11:57

* don't think anyone here supports what's she has done.*

This is just becoming a default caveat, don't offer any opinion and just blame the government.

Some are trying to turn it into a partisan political issue without any sense of irony

MadCatEnthusiast Thu 21-Feb-19 21:16:28

@missgmichael There's a lot of confusion but it seems she's had British citizenship from birth and didn't naturalise as SJ didn't revoke her citizenship because she was a naturalised citizen, that's a different thing. Her parents don't need to be British for her to be British, they'd simply need to be settled ie, have indefinite leave to remain.

Sajid Javid knew she didn't have Bangladeshi citizenship at the moment but he thought/was advised/didn't care to check that she'd be eligible. However, Bangladesh have said she wouldn't qualify because her parents had to register her birth at the Bangladeshi High Commission in London so although she is Bangladeshi because her parents are, she's not been applied for and considered for. Her parents have said that they didn't register her birth as they didn't feel the need.

It seems the UK lawyers/advisors looked at one legal point saying if she has Bangladeshi parents then she's default Bangladeshi herself without looking at the registering part in another Act. Therefore, seemingly she does not have Bangladeshi citizenship.

Source: www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/21/what-is-the-truth-about-shamima-begums-citizenship-status

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 21:19:37

Nah she’s a traitor an enemy of the UK. Even if groomed, she’s dangerous. We need a new Treason law with very, very long sentences as a deterrent. No excuses, no but but she’s had a baby.

Motherofcreek Thu 21-Feb-19 21:24:38

just I have offered an opinion.

If she makes it to a British consulate she should receive the help she is entitled to. If she returns to uk then baby gets removed and she should go to prison.

I don't see her making it to a consulate so the point is mute really

Justanotherlurker Thu 21-Feb-19 21:33:17

MadCatEnthusiast

Well done in, that's the most impressive partisan spin I've seen being based on uch a non committal artical.

Sajid Javid knew she didn't have Bangladeshi citizenship at the moment but he thought/was advised/didn't care to check that she'd be eligible*

Nothing in your source refutes that, in fact it enforces his stance.

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 21:34:23

I know what you mean Mad but I’ve read that government lawyers have advised otherwise. Who knows. It also has to be remembered that where the UK had failed to strip citizenship in these cases is because the terrorists were over 21 the cut off age for Bangladeshi citizenship.

We give £200 million aid to Bangladesh per year, perhaps they need to be reminded of that. It’s very unfortunate but some immigrants bring their distaste of the west to the west. Bangladesh isn’t neutral, they can’t wipe their hands of the matter.

jasjas1973 Thu 21-Feb-19 21:42:09

Thank fuck the rest of the public aren’t all do gooders like on here Thank fuck SJ is doing is job and keeping out more potential danger and threats

Do you not know SJ has let 100s of hardened male IS returnee fighters back into the UK?
Have you not read his own advice on rehabilitating ex ISiS fighters an their wives?
There is the case of a dual uk/canada national being allowed back in, no stripping of citizenship.......

He couldn't give a fuck about your safety....it beggars belief, given how he has acted in the past, you think he does.

Supporting the rule of law is not being a do gooder it is about upholding UK and International law because that is what separates us from ISiS, Taliban, despotic regimes such as Syria and elsewhere.

Justanotherlurker Thu 21-Feb-19 21:46:00

If she makes it to a British consulate she should receive the help she is entitled to. If she returns to uk then baby gets removed and she should go to prison

Then we get into the tricky situation of what laws can she got to prison under, alternatively we give her a new identity, housing etc etc and life long monitored.

I don't see her making it to a consulate so the point is mute really

That sticking point has moved on since then though, we are at the point of following international law being somewhat dumping terrorists onto other nations as it's our fault, the slippery slope is the government wasn't interfering enough in the conservative religious community.

It's a case of mental gymnastics all round, hence why it's news worthy

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 21:47:39

JasJas perhaps he’s realised he needs to take a harder stance. I do hope so.

MadCatEnthusiast Thu 21-Feb-19 21:50:31

That just doesn't make sense that Bangladesh should be implicated in this situation. Are the UK going to tell them 'we give you money so you should take our ex-British ISIS bride who you've never seen and she barely speaks your language and she has no ties other than having parents who happened to have been born there but moved anyway'?

How are they the ones not being allowed to wipe their hands of the matter when the UK are? It's not their fault/influence that she made her leave this country and decide to join ISIS.

Budsbegginingspringinsight Thu 21-Feb-19 21:51:24

I was not aware we know the inns and outs of everyone let back in? I did see a graph today of how denying citizenship has shot up
Does anyone know actual figures and reasons why... I'm assuming it's a load of male fighters.

NaturalBornWoman Thu 21-Feb-19 21:52:04

Sajid Javid knew she didn't have Bangladeshi citizenship at the moment but he thought/was advised/didn't care to check that she'd be eligible

This is all very confusing now. I heard on the Today program this morning a professor of law from Bangladesh admit that she would have Bangladeshi citizenship based on criteria which are apparently met.

Budsbegginingspringinsight Thu 21-Feb-19 21:52:42

On the other hand mad cat I wonder how many Brits became citizens of Bangladesh over the decades and how many now live here?

jasjas1973 Thu 21-Feb-19 21:54:00

perhaps he’s realised he needs to take a harder stance as he is desperate to be the next Tory PM ?

He should have done his homework and been absolutely sure she has another nationality to fall back on.
tbh there should also be due process and a media interview is not evidence that she is anymore dangerous to the UK than before she left or any of the other returnees that he still has done jack about.

Imissgmichael Thu 21-Feb-19 22:15:07

She had ties Mad. She was born to a Bangladeshi mum and her dad lives there.

LarkDescending Thu 21-Feb-19 22:16:17

@MadCatEnthusiast to be fair to the relevant advisers, it isn’t the case that the question of whether registration is required to give effect to citizenship by descent has been overlooked. This issue has been expressly considered by SIAC in previous Bangladeshi cases, including at paragraphs 54-56 of the “G3” case which I linked upthread.

MadCatEnthusiast Thu 21-Feb-19 22:16:21

@Budsbegginingspringinsight

Well I suppose quite a few or not many, I don't know

This thread is not accepting new messages.