Talk

Advanced search

Shamima Begum has her citizenship revoked

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KenAdams Tue 19-Feb-19 18:48:54

How can this happen? I thought they aren't allowed to leave a person stateless? Not that I'm disagreeing, I'm just wondering how they managed it.

Meralia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:07:55

She isn’t stateless. She has dual nationality.

Saylav Tue 19-Feb-19 19:08:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NotMyUsualTopBilling Tue 19-Feb-19 19:08:19

@HotpotLawyer, leave them stranded in whichever country they choose to run off to.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:08:20

Poor baby. Her, not so much.

Whocansay Tue 19-Feb-19 19:08:33

I thought we were supposed to be a civilised country? Where is our compassion? She may be a foolish young woman, but she was a child when she left. She was groomed by terrorists, FFS!

If she has committed a crime, prosecute her. But bring her back to face justice and then her family can at least look after the child.

whataboutbob Tue 19-Feb-19 19:08:36

Is this fake news? She has no second nationality, you can’t make her stateless in a day. I suspect it’s incorrect, or will soon be successfully challenged and overturned.

BifsWif Tue 19-Feb-19 19:09:05

Yes she’s just a kid with a baby, poor soul. Maybe you could offer to take her in? I hope she rots.

I’ll be saving my sympathy for the Syrian women and children in those camps, for the Syrian babies dying from malnutrition and a lack of basic medical care.

I’m only sorry that she has now become someone else’s problem.

Beansandcoffee Tue 19-Feb-19 19:09:27

Legal people will now spend the next 4 years fighting this decision and appealing. I thought we had all been told that you couldn’t leave someone stateless.

Saucery Tue 19-Feb-19 19:09:28

They’ve made an unusual and extreme decision in response to her recorded unrepentance. I’m not sure I want our government to be making snap decisions like that for anyone, even someone like her.

LollyHolly24 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:09:53

If this is true this is the BEST decision possible. As for the people feeling 'sorry' or 'despairing', you are sympathising with a TERRORIST.

MillytantForceit Tue 19-Feb-19 19:09:54

Looks like lucky old Bangladesh gets her.

Expect a court case about her, the baby and their right to family life at the ECHR (the court we aren't leaving.)

Passmeagin Tue 19-Feb-19 19:09:59

Good! The only reason she wants to come back is because isis has fallen and she's realised it's no longer "glamorous"
I was a tearaway at 15. Knew exactly what I was doing and took responsibility for my actions. She doesn't even have a shred of remorse which is probably the main reason the majority have no sympathy.
She was a very bright girl apparently. She knew exactly what she was doing

Roxyxoxo Tue 19-Feb-19 19:10:03

Only according to her lawyer and family, potentially fake news?

flashbac Tue 19-Feb-19 19:10:07

Can I make a prediction?
Family will appeal. If shamima is not a dual citizen they/she will win (because it's unlawful to make someone stateless no matter how awful they are). The tabloids/fake news brigade will blame EU laws...
Thickos will go along with it and thus they have further justification for Brexit.
I'll take my tin foil hat off now ..

OnlyFoolsnMothers Tue 19-Feb-19 19:10:26

Whilst I’m delighted by this, I have this feeling it wouldn’t have happened to the white British guy who joined al shabaab had he not died -Thomas Evans

Coffeebean76 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:10:36

Whose country should we dump our unwanted citizens in?

She wasn't dumped anywhere though was she? She went willingly.

PsychoCrayon Tue 19-Feb-19 19:10:43

I’m not usually a conspiracy theorist, but I think there’s more to this than they’re letting on. She was a pawn going out there and a pawn asking to come back.

I think they’ve done the right thing by revoking her citizenship, and the message that sends to anyone who is inclined to do similar.

RedFeltHeart Tue 19-Feb-19 19:10:47

"He [Home Secretary Sajid Javid] has no proof that I'm a threat other than that I was in ISIS but that's it."

I don't know how I would be seen as a danger."

Um...

BifsWif Tue 19-Feb-19 19:10:55

She has dual nationality.

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 19-Feb-19 19:11:01

Those who feel sorry for her child how much sympathy do you have for the thousands of children displaced and murdered by isis. Or the women and children captured by isis and sold as sex slaves?

Yes she was 15 when she went but it was a deliberate choice and she is completely unrepentant as an adult.

Saylav Tue 19-Feb-19 19:12:21

Her family reared one IS terrorist sympathiser. They're hardly fit to rear another child, while the mother is still an unrepentant IS sympathiser.

Imissgmichael Tue 19-Feb-19 19:12:48

If someone is capable of having citizenship of another country then the UK can revoke that persons citizenship.

PortiaCastis Tue 19-Feb-19 19:13:08

Over 300 Isis fighters have returned to the UK why wasn't their citizenship revoked ?

babycakes1010 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:13:20

Fantastic news!

AlaskanOilBaron Tue 19-Feb-19 19:14:01

Let the Dutch deal with her, great that the UK got their first while she was still a dual national.

This thread is not accepting new messages.