Talk

Advanced search

Shamima Begum has her citizenship revoked

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KenAdams Tue 19-Feb-19 18:48:54

How can this happen? I thought they aren't allowed to leave a person stateless? Not that I'm disagreeing, I'm just wondering how they managed it.

TearingUpMyHeart Tue 19-Feb-19 19:00:19

That's disgusting.

WeAreGerbil Tue 19-Feb-19 19:00:39

Sparklyboots that's how I feel about it too, but we seem to be in a minority.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 19-Feb-19 19:00:43

I actually didn't know they could do that!

I'm now wondering how often it happens, and why we don't hear of it more often?

Theunreasonableone Tue 19-Feb-19 19:01:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tissunnyupnorth Tue 19-Feb-19 19:02:27

My understanding is that she has Dutch citizenship through marriage.

QueenieInFrance Tue 19-Feb-19 19:02:28

Pottering she first wouod need an off I ila document showing they were married.
And it assumes that the Netherlands wouod be happy to give her Dutch citizenship only based in her been married to a Dutch citizen.
The U.K. allows none of that. Being married to a Brit doesn’t give you any right to become british (and not even to immigrate to Britain). And you are to have lived in the uk for at least 5 years.

Basically you are supposing that the Netherlands wouod do something that the U.K. wouod never do from Brits...

Whocansay Tue 19-Feb-19 19:02:51

I feel awful about her poor child. She's already lost two. How much chance does this one have?

PrincessScarlett Tue 19-Feb-19 19:02:57

I find her media coverage very odd. I know she was sought out initially by the journalist but since then she's given another interview that back tracks on what she said previously as though she is now saying what she thinks she should say to get sympathy rather than what she really thinks and believes.

Imissgmichael Tue 19-Feb-19 19:03:07

Good news. Let’s hope any appeal falls on deaf ears.

NotMyUsualTopBilling Tue 19-Feb-19 19:03:10

She's not a traumatised child. She's a terrorist sympathiser who has shown absolutely no remorse for buggering off to help their cause other than wallowing in her own misery.

Yes, it's sad that she has allegedly lost two children due to circumstances but it's the life she chose.

bigknickersbigknockers Tue 19-Feb-19 19:03:23

she's a terrorist supporter and as such should be kept out of this country

drspouse Tue 19-Feb-19 19:03:28

They weren't legally married.

Wildcate Tue 19-Feb-19 19:04:03

She's already lost two

So she says. From malnutrition apparently. She does look that malnourished though.

Wildcate Tue 19-Feb-19 19:04:19

doesn’t

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 19-Feb-19 19:04:46

I wonder if she was British by birth of naturalised.

NottonightJosepheen Tue 19-Feb-19 19:05:09

I wouldn't want her in Ireland if our countries and recent political histories were reversed.

Who would ffs?

MightyAtlantic Tue 19-Feb-19 19:05:22

Someone on another thread said that Syria does not have birthright citizenship, so the baby is not a Syrian citizen. I wonder if he can claim British citizenship, as his mother was a citizen at the time of his birth? Or does revoking her citizenship revoke any claim he might have to British citizenship too?

Mewe Tue 19-Feb-19 19:05:35

Good.
She made her choice when she decided to fight against British Values & join IS.
She is not a “traumatised kid with a baby”: she is an adult who must take responsibility for her actions.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:05:38

Good decision.

HotpotLawyer Tue 19-Feb-19 19:06:28

“she's a terrorist supporter and as such should be kept out of this country”

Whose country should we dump our unwanted citizens in?

KoraBora Tue 19-Feb-19 19:06:55

From looking at the Bangladesh Citizenship page it appears that citizenship primarily goes through the bloodline regardless of place of birth. Any child born to a Bangladeshi woman is a Bangladeshi citizen therefore she won't be stateless.

zippey Tue 19-Feb-19 19:07:25

I saw her interview and she came across as a bratty teenager who hadn’t reconciled with her family. She will be ok. Her family can wire her money to Syria and she can live in a country ruled under Islamic law, which is what she wants.

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 19-Feb-19 19:07:26

I’m not sure she had any children or was even pregnant now. I don’t know I can trust what she says. Best she stays where she wanted to be.

SwedishEdith Tue 19-Feb-19 19:07:26

Chris Cook
@xtophercook

Begum does not have citizenship of another state, so unclear how this works. But Javid won't mind a fight - even a losing fight - in which he is trying to exclude The Jihadi Bride (see: Ed Balls / S. Shoesmith)

This is all about Javid trying to look tough. Weak little man desperate for approval.

Tomtontom Tue 19-Feb-19 19:07:30

Revoking someone's citizenship without due process being followed sets a terrible precedent.

We all have the right to a fair trial (and should be punished for our actions if they are found to be criminal).

This thread is not accepting new messages.