Talk

Advanced search

Shamima Begum has her citizenship revoked

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KenAdams Tue 19-Feb-19 18:48:54

How can this happen? I thought they aren't allowed to leave a person stateless? Not that I'm disagreeing, I'm just wondering how they managed it.

MaybeitsMaybelline Tue 19-Feb-19 19:19:27

Sorry 2019 not 2009, maybe the home office has realised she is entitled to dual citizenship and revoked her uk one.

Tough shit.

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:19:40

It's good!!

Her smug face all over the media. Not so smug now love. It's a fine example of what not to do

Hope it stops at least one kid doing similiar now

Saylav Tue 19-Feb-19 19:19:49

No, it's not thickos or racists. She's a radicalised terrorist sympathiser at the very least. She has no remorse. She only wants to come back here because it's not so good over there at the moment. She wants to live under Sharia law. She doesn't want to live under UK law. I always said she was a plant.

BifsWif Tue 19-Feb-19 19:19:50

Didn’t think it’d be long until someone cried ‘racist!’.

DonutCone Tue 19-Feb-19 19:19:55

Considering both her parents were born in Bangladesh she quite clearly isn’t going to be stateless is she?

Her parents did a seriously shit job with her so why on earth they thought they should get the baby, if there is a baby, baffles me.

happyhillock Tue 19-Feb-19 19:20:08

Absolutely delighted, she made her bed now she has to lye in it, no sympathy for her at all.

Jb291 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:20:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:20:33

You can 'de radicalise' her on your doorstep then.

daisypond Tue 19-Feb-19 19:21:07

She has Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother.
"Bangladeshi citizenship is provided primarily jus sanguinis, or through bloodline, irrespectively of the place or legitimacy of the birth"

booksandcaffeine Tue 19-Feb-19 19:21:24

Good. She has openingly admitted she doesn't regret going over to Syria. Also the comments she made about the Manchester bombings are disgusting.

I feel sorry for her baby being born in the middle of all this though.

Bunnyfuller Tue 19-Feb-19 19:21:29

She may not have fought, but she will be a very skilled advocate for IS, and her unrepentant attitude points at a fab ability to radicalise.

Who knows, she may have been directed to come back?

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:21:38

Yes, there's zero proof any of these babies existed

Or should we believe her??

Wildcate Tue 19-Feb-19 19:22:04

This. Thickos and racists who think that it's fine for Britain to export their homegrown radicalised teenagers to other countries.

We didn’t export her. She went of her own volition.

From

The racist thicko 🙄🙄🙄

MillytantForceit Tue 19-Feb-19 19:22:07

Mother has Bangladesh nationality, therefore she is eligible to apply for it if she doesn't already have it, and so HMG argues it is not making her stateless, but if she refuses to be Bangladeshi she is making herself stateless.

Bangladesh has taken in nearly a million from Myanmar so one more won't make any difference.

M'Learned Freinds already have the meter running.

whataboutbob Tue 19-Feb-19 19:22:19

@SpanielEars007 I think there is a problem amongst the British Bangladeshi community of trying to control their youth and make them live according to rules suited to another society in another era. Going off to Syria to marry a hot jihadi is a way of rebelling against parents while being holier than thou. Apparently a win win especially for someone who appears to be of modest intelligence.

Saylav Tue 19-Feb-19 19:22:31

I don't think this would have been a decision that would have been made unless she was a serious threat. So they must have serious intelligence on her.

ozymandiusking Tue 19-Feb-19 19:23:31

Hey Sparky Boots, you wouldn't be able to buy sparkly boots out there!
Let alone wear them.

Loseitandkeepitlost Tue 19-Feb-19 19:23:32

I don't think it's fair to class people as thick and/or racist because they agree with the decision.

She hasn't been exported, she left by choice. She does not appear to regret her choices and still believes there was justification for innocent lives being taken, including those taken in the UK.

I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but I don't condemn those that do.

Mistigri Tue 19-Feb-19 19:23:36

She has Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother.

So? Do you think it's fine for the U.K. to exports its homegrown terrorists to Bangladesh?

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:23:53

Oh do the parents who are so very concerned about her will now be presumably leaving for Bangladesh soon then?

It's her sister who I feel sorry for in all this. She's going nowhere though, she has no passport cos thieving scheming Shamima stole it!

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 19-Feb-19 19:24:10

She was happy to witness decapitated heads in baskets in the name of Islam. We have no idea if she committed atrocities herself. I understand she was groomed in the U.K. so I’m conflicted by this decision. She’s still only 19 and has been living under a brutal regime. My feeling is she should be allowed to return and face consequences under British law. I understand the can of worms this opens but I think it’s wrong to revoke her citizenship and throw the problem elsewhere. However on the flip side it sends a very clear message to everyone else over there thinking abut coming home and anyone still in the U.K. contemplating joining IS.

GrubbyHipsterBeard Tue 19-Feb-19 19:24:31

So? Has she been prosecuted and convicted in a court of law? Is Britain a democracy which respects the rule of law?

Is it the law that Britain can not revoke citizenship unless the person has been convicted in a court of law?

KingHenrysCodpiece Tue 19-Feb-19 19:24:34

So? Has she been prosecuted and convicted in a court of law? Is Britain a democracy which respects the rule of law?

Not anymore it seems. We've lowered our standards.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 19-Feb-19 19:24:36

and the message that sends to anyone who is inclined to do similar.

Let’s hope the message they get is the message you want them to get. Potentially the message that people vulnerable to being radicalised or who have already been radicalised get from this story could be very different.

midsomermurderess Tue 19-Feb-19 19:24:54

To those staying the HO must have checked this out fully, remember Windrush.

Lifeisabeach09 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:24:58

It's in the process of being revoked. Sounds like it hasn't been finalised.

Over 300 Isis fighters have returned to the UK why wasn't their citizenship revoked?

^^This.

I don't agree with her actions and I really don't care what happens to her, I just find it interesting that she's been so vilified whereas a lot of other British Jihadists have not.

MrPan Tue 19-Feb-19 19:25:24

Really wrong for a govt to decide who is and isn't worthy of being a citizen. It's deeply concerning.

Am not surprised buy still disappointed at the pitchfork folk on the thread. But hey it's MN.

Playing nicely to the govt intended focus group and voters.

BrizzleMint Tue 19-Feb-19 19:25:32

Totally hypocritical of our Govt.

Are you surprised that politicians are hypocritical? shock

The baby might not have British citizenship, I think this applies to him, in which case she has been abroad for too long hasn't she?

If your British parent lived in the UK before you were born
You can apply if all of the following are true:

you’re under 18
your mother or father was a British citizen when you were born
your British parent lived in the UK for at least 3 years before you were born
your British parent did not spend more than 270 days outside the UK during those 3 years
your British parent had a British mother or father who could pass on their citizenship to them

BrizzleMint Tue 19-Feb-19 19:26:10

^ www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-on-or-after-1-july-2006

GenderIsAPrison Tue 19-Feb-19 19:26:25

Great news.

Was so waiting for this to fall into the ‘Human Rights’ and ‘racist’ traps, delighted and surprised that it didn’t.

SwedishEdith Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:04

I don't think it's fair to class people as thick and/or racist because they agree with the decision.

OK, they lack the ability to deal with nuanced situations. The world, for them, is black and white as it makes it easier for them to deal with.

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:04

MrPan Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:27

And no, no confide any checks were made. This govt is both ruthless and massively stupid.

thefirst48 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:28

Best decision all round.

Courchevel Tue 19-Feb-19 19:27:36

I was on the fence with this... I think British standards of tolerance and fairness are important so have been torn.
Then I watched this interview... www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47299907

You cannot compare an intended attack on civilians (Manchester arena), with anything the UK has done in Syria (very carefully targeted attacks on very specific Islamic state infrastructure).
Yes women and children have been killed in Syria but, IT IS NOT by UK plc.
Its made me quite angry watching her to be honest!!

Jon65 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:28:05

Misti you are very rude. People can have their opinion on here without being insulted. I believe this is a very difficult case, but a message needed to be sent to this young woman and others who might fancy a jolly to radicalism. I am highly educated and not a 'thicko'. This woman was radicalised at 15 yes, but she is now 19 years old and is choosing herself what is happening now. She has no compassion and I do not wish to have people in the UK, walking side by side with me, like this woman who is continuing to choose her attitude and politics. For once I actually agree with a HO decision.

DisrespectfulAdultFemale Tue 19-Feb-19 19:28:23

If anyone reads the letter it says that a decision has been taken to deprive Begum of her citizenship but does not say that this has already been done. It also notes that she has the right to appeal.

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:28:27

Ooooh mrpan has inside info.... he know no checks were made. How? How do you know for sure?

Wildcate Tue 19-Feb-19 19:28:36

OK, they lack the ability to deal with nuanced situations. The world, for them, is black and white as it makes it easier for them to deal with

Or, perhaps, we just don’t agree with you?

Mistigri Tue 19-Feb-19 19:29:13

How can this happen?

There's a very good chance it'll be overturned in the courts - she was a minor, she hasn't been convicted of a crime.

This is all about Sajid Javid's ambitions to be prime minister. It has nothing to do with keeping the public safe.

HotpotLawyer Tue 19-Feb-19 19:30:08

“We didn’t export her. She went of her own volition. “

Yes, but we are now exporting her to Bangladesh.

Budsbegginingspringinsight Tue 19-Feb-19 19:30:21

Couch it's utter drivel....like Nazi's saying.... we're trying to take over the world so in defense local community and countries fight back... then Nazi's say. .oh we're going to kill more of you now because your killing us

It's utter pointless drivel.

MrPan Tue 19-Feb-19 19:30:28

Totes agree misti. Javed represents the worst of oily politicians.

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:30:35

What did Begum say about the Manchester terrorist attacks?

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:31:01

We aren't exporting her..... just redirecting her!

ReflectentMonatomism Tue 19-Feb-19 19:31:08

She needs bringing home and de-radicalising

I think this is a very dubious piece of dogwhistle politics which will stick so long as she is represented by a community lawyer for community people who would be more at home doing conveyancing, but will collapse like a house of cards if a good international human rights lawyer gets involved.

That said, I can't say I find "de-radicalising" terribly convincing. Her family are religious fanatics, and the track record of "de-radicalisation" is non-existent. Plenty of terrorists who have actually done terrorist shit have had prior engagement in such programmes, and there is no evidence, and precious little anecdote, which says they work. We can't intern her. We can't jail her long-term because she hasn't committed serious crimes for which we can provide UK-standard evidence in a UK court. Extra-judicial killings aren't quite cricket.

I presume the hope is that the Bangladeshi government will do nothing, and is in any event not capable of doing anything, so she will remain in Syria. Then either someone will kill her or the Iraqi, Turkish or maybe even Syrian authorities will try her and either execute her or imprison her for life.

It's cynical, dog whistle politics and it makes us look like Trump, but unfortunately it's hard to see what the plausible alternative is. She would be out free in the UK in a few years, the chances of her being "de-radicalised" are approximately zero and she would make a very serious rallying point for extremists. This is a bad, ugly, cynical outcome, better only than all the even more ugly alternatives.

Saylav Tue 19-Feb-19 19:31:33

In the interview with her conducted by the Scottish guy, watch her reaction immediately after he asks her about the Manchester bombing.
Her eyes lit up momentarily and she was trying not to smile.
It was only when he mentioned women and children that she expressed an sort of probably feigned regret.

If anyone has the link to that interview, could you post it for me - I'm not sure whether it was the BBC one or the Times interview?

It's worth watching.

Saucery Tue 19-Feb-19 19:31:38

The main message anyone vulnerable to being recruited to Isis sympathies will get from this is not one any rational person would want them to get.
Wherever she ends up she will be free to continue to spout her hate and no doubt Western media will continue to broadcast it widely, which is irresponsible and dangerous.

SoupDragon Tue 19-Feb-19 19:31:46

So, she was radicalised in the U.K. and we are just going to dump this problem of our own making onto Bangladesh?

PostmanPatIsIncompetent Tue 19-Feb-19 19:31:49

Pretty sure flashbac has it right.

Basically just a PR move by the government. It's win-win for them - either she doesn't appeal, so it stands; she does and loses, so it stands; or she does and wins, and the government get to blame the judges and use it as further "proof" that we should leave ECHR. No one's any safer or better off but hey, Javid gets a boost to his leadership chances with the Tory membership.

Just because it's cynical doesn't mean it's wrong...

HotpotLawyer Tue 19-Feb-19 19:32:40

“I don't think this would have been a decision that would have been made unless she was a serious threat. So they must have serious intelligence on her.”

If they had serious intelligence on her don’t you think they would rather have her back for thorough de-briefing? And keep her under surveillance?

I reckon this is one big show.

SemperIdem Tue 19-Feb-19 19:32:47

I can’t see how this will stand.

She surely cannot have the only one, of all the radicalised youths who went to Syria to hold dual nationality. It seems extremely unlikely. Yet 300 have returned and only 40 have faced charges.

I don’t want to suggest that the govn is trying to distract to general public from a rather more pressing issue with all this palaver surrounding Shamima Begum, but y’know...if the cap fits.

Budsbegginingspringinsight Tue 19-Feb-19 19:32:57

I'm not convinced of her being radicalised... not when media full of images of henoius brutality everywhere.

Hardly the promised uplands.... the ground work was already laid probably from within the family.

Iloveacurry Tue 19-Feb-19 19:33:01

Good.

Imissgmichael Tue 19-Feb-19 19:33:50

Mistrigri loss of UK citizenship may be the least of her worries. Syria will eventually run war crime courts, or they may just hand her over to Iraq in the meantime.

I’ll save my sympathy for the victims of the vile cult she joined.

Courchevel Tue 19-Feb-19 19:34:30

When the reporter talks about the terrorist attack on the Manchester arena she maintains the same smug look and says it's like the attacks in Syria.
I've just left the RAF- this sort of rhetoric makes me incredibly angry.
Professional men and women spend hours sometimes days pouring over just one target. Which would have been carefully selected and put through a military lawyer.
The UK does not bomb women and children in Syria.

Frouby Tue 19-Feb-19 19:34:46

I know a few teenagers. They all (including a strapping lad of 15) cried at the Manchester bombings. And cried a few times at the news and at the memorial service/concert Manchester held.

Being 15 doesn't remove moral responsibility. How many people condemn utterly Jamie Bulgers murderers? Just about everyone I know.

Being 15 is old enough to understand hatred and murder and how killing innocent people is wrong. Making mistakes at 15 is shoplifting, unprotected sex, being silly at school. Those involved in murder deserve to suffer the consequences.

I would suspect that given the worldwide publicity of this case that due diligence has been done. And anything was signed off by TM who should certainly be well versed in international law.

Mistigri Tue 19-Feb-19 19:34:45

leave them stranded in whichever country they choose to run off to.

She's an illegal immigrant in Syria. It'd be hilarious if other countries started removing citizenship from illegal immigrants in the U.K. and refusing to take them back.

starzig Tue 19-Feb-19 19:35:51

Mistigri. By the very fact she went, she is guilty of treason. This is a mandatory life sentence.

EdWinchester Tue 19-Feb-19 19:36:11

I have zero sympathy for this vile woman.

surferjet Tue 19-Feb-19 19:36:26

She’s a traitor.
She left the UK to join the enemy.

Hope she gets all she deserves.

Puzzledandpissedoff Tue 19-Feb-19 19:36:29

Basically just a PR move by the government. It's win-win for them - either she doesn't appeal, so it stands; she does and loses, so it stands; or she does and wins, and the government get to blame the judges and use it as further "proof" that we should leave ECHR. No one's any safer or better off but hey, Javid gets a boost to his leadership chances with the Tory membership

^^ This

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:36:38

Good. Some common sense at last.

Saylav Tue 19-Feb-19 19:36:56

I would suspect that given the worldwide publicity of this case that due diligence has been done. And anything was signed off by TM who should certainly be well versed in international law.

This.

But I'll probably be branded a thicko and that it's all just for show.

sanityisamyth Tue 19-Feb-19 19:37:33

Good.

MillytantForceit Tue 19-Feb-19 19:37:48

Very Much a Sajid For PM move, almost as if he's expecting a vacancy soon.

Saucery Tue 19-Feb-19 19:38:19

It will help create her as a martyr. She does not deserve that honour.

surferjet Tue 19-Feb-19 19:38:34

I’d vote for him!

PanamaPattie Tue 19-Feb-19 19:38:35

Que sera sera.

Jb291 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:38:49

And I didn't think it would be long before some posters came along and started whinging about "racists and thickos". For the record I am neither of those things. I'm a degree educated law abiding British citizen who thinks that people like her made their bed and now must be forced to suffer the consequences of her actions. Exile and death in a godforsaken refugee camp in a third world country sounds about right. Let her die there and be forgotten, she deserves absolutely no sympathy and no forgiveness from any of us. Let this stand as a message to others like her that we won't hesitate to strip citizenship from them.
for once, our government has shown some backbone and done the right thing and refused to be walked all over by Islamic extremists. Decent British citizens do not want her or her terrorist associates here. She can die there and rot and nobody here should feel anything other than satisfaction that another vile terrorist has died and can't harm anyone ever again.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 19-Feb-19 19:38:55

This government don’t have a very good track record on due diligence.

londonrach Tue 19-Feb-19 19:38:59

Best news ive heard today. Seriously mn would you want this woman need your children. Shes very dangerous.

Courchevel Tue 19-Feb-19 19:39:29

basically just a PR move by the government. It's win-win for them - either she doesn't appeal, so it stands; she does and loses, so it stands; or she does and wins, and the government get to blame the judges and use it as further "proof" that we should leave ECHR. No one's any safer or better off but hey, Javid gets a boost to his leadership chances with the Tory membership
But it sets a precedent... want to join forces with an enemy of our country? Fine, but we wont have you back any more. We've been too soft for too long (and have been taken advantage of)

WeAreGerbil Tue 19-Feb-19 19:39:41

She could very well consider that the biggest threat to her was likely to be from ISIS locally and be trying not to say anything that's going to put her in immediate danger. It may not be that but I think it needs to be included as a possibility. And for those saying that 19 is an adult, according to neuroscience research our full reasoning capabilities in our pre frontal cortex don't come online until mid 20s.

pusspuss9 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:39:43

@ mistigri So? Has she been prosecuted and convicted in a court of law

we all know there is very little chance of getting enough proof of what she did because we weren't there!! That is their get out of jail card and they'll all get off if we wait for enough for black and white proof, but you knew that didn't you!

Nomorepies Tue 19-Feb-19 19:39:50

This is great news. No doubt she’ll appeal. I really hope it fails. Leave her to rot over there please! Well done Home Secretary

GrubbyHipsterBeard Tue 19-Feb-19 19:40:05

mistri could you help me with the law that says she has to be convicted of a crime in order for her citizenship to be revoked? Because I really am not sure that’s right. And if it’s not right, then your comment about us (not) upholding the rule of law can’t stand.

goldengummybear Tue 19-Feb-19 19:40:08

You can't cure paedophiles, racists or homophobic people so can you cure religious extremists? I mean these people truly believe that they are in the right and I suspect that the ones who do see the light and change have a life experience that makes them question their preconceptions.

Can you really deradicalize someone without some sort of force like torture?

MillytantForceit Tue 19-Feb-19 19:40:17

May built her reputation on deporting Abu Qatada (rhymes with Have A Banana!)

Saylav Tue 19-Feb-19 19:40:29

As for why she has garnered so much attention?

Because she is unrepentant and only wants to come back apparently because it's pretty crap now. Because she is female and has a new baby. Because she is a goodlooking girl. Because the media interviewed her several times. Because she still wants to live under Sharia law but wants to come back to the UK?

JacquettaW Tue 19-Feb-19 19:40:58

Good. She gave up her right to this country when she went there. I have no sympathy.

I'm Mancunian with a friend with PTSD after being in the arena and I can summon up zero fucks after her comments. She can rot for all I care

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:41:01

I literally know nobody in RL who thinks she should come back.....no one!

And none on my social media etc think she should either

Just the bleeding hearts of mumsnet! This is the ONLY place

Chloemol Tue 19-Feb-19 19:41:03

Great

goldengummybear Tue 19-Feb-19 19:41:54

* Basically just a PR move by the government. It's win-win for them - either she doesn't appeal, so it stands; she does and loses, so it stands; or she does and wins, and the government get to blame the judges and use it as further "proof" that we should leave ECHR. No one's any safer or better off but hey, Javid gets a boost to his leadership chances with the Tory membership*

It's distracting us from Brexit, Honda etc

SassitudeandSparkle Tue 19-Feb-19 19:41:58

She must have dual citizenship, it's the only way they could revoke and not leave her stateless.

NothingOnTellyAgain Tue 19-Feb-19 19:42:00

She's ours, we can't just offload people who commit crimes onto other countries.

This sets a really dodgy precendent.

The person who said Bangladesh can have her, they've taken 1,000,000 from Myanmar what difference does 1 more make

I thought the point was she was too dangerous to have here
So to send her somewhere else
That was much poorer
Even before they got vast vast numbers of extra people to try to look after
How are they supposed to keep track of her better than us
Has she committed a crime against bangladesh, can they even try her, imprison her, I have no idea

The right thing to do is us to deal with our own problems ourselves
She comes back
Baby is adopted out / or if she has suitable family who are prepared to take
She gets tried for terrorism offences

Dumping someone who is too dangerous to come here on another country that has nothing to do with this, and is already struggling, washing our hands of her and saying your problem

I mean that's just wrong

Ditto if it's the Dutch we're planning on palming her off onto

Talk about shirking responsibility. Awful decision.

SinglePringle Tue 19-Feb-19 19:42:06

I think it’s a chess manoeuvre on behalf of the government.

They can’t be seen to ‘bring her home’ or allow her to make her own way - the press would bay for blood and she’d become an icon of dissent. Plus she would be a potential target for people.

But if they kick it into the long grass, either a) her family appeal and she comes back after some months, under the cover of darkness & no one knows she’s back (and therefore she’s safe from mobs) or

B) they’ve arranged for her citizenship in another country (Bangladesh / Holland) so again, she is safe from mobs.

Either way, the government look like they’ve taken a stand. But in reality - it’s a PR job.

LuckyMarmiteLover Tue 19-Feb-19 19:42:11

I don’t think this is a good thing. Her son is likely to grow up hating the west and will be much more likely to become a terrorist himself. I think she should come back and face justice here.

TallulahBetty Tue 19-Feb-19 19:42:14

Good. It's not like she popped to Spain to run a bar for God's sake.

Budsbegginingspringinsight Tue 19-Feb-19 19:42:19

Other counties have Sharia law she's welcome too reach out to them and live under it... dream come true surely...

goldengummybear Tue 19-Feb-19 19:42:36

Sorry- the copy and paste was because I agree.

ID81241 Tue 19-Feb-19 19:43:32

Her family will definitely appeal.

Although the media are not reporting the grounds for revoking Begum's citizenship - I imagine the Home Secretary has done so under s.40 of the British Nationality Act, which allows the state to revoke citizenship on the grounds that:

"it would be conducive to the public good to deprive the person of his or her British nationality, and that s/he would not become stateless as a result of the deprivation"

Begum won't be stateless as she has dual Bangladeshi nationality.

Hopefully this is a decision that can stand up to appeal, but I fear it won't since the grounds are so vague.

Budsbegginingspringinsight Tue 19-Feb-19 19:43:56

But lucky her son will grow up hating us whatever we do... especially if she's facing trial and deeply believes what she's been taught

The only way to stop him being a threat is too get him adopted

ooooohbetty Tue 19-Feb-19 19:44:19

@CameliaCamelia MN is the only place lots of things happen that don't seem to happen in real life. I don't know anyone who thinks she should be allowed back either. And I don't know one single person stockpiling for Brexit smile

NothingOnTellyAgain Tue 19-Feb-19 19:45:02

Why do we expect another country to clean up our mess.

Why don't we want to try her? To see justice done?

I thought that we were supposed to be principled.

The comment about 300 other IS fighters having come back is also interesting. She is being treated differently. This is political then. She is being used as a pawn / example in someone elses game. Which I wouldn't care about, apart from, I doubt the game-players intentions are good.

YeOldeTrout Tue 19-Feb-19 19:45:11

I feel like she'll never face justice for her part in supporting IS. I don't want the baby to suffer, but I don't want her getting off scot free, either.

Saucery Tue 19-Feb-19 19:45:13

Can’t deradicalise people? Really?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maajid_Nawaz

Toughtips Tue 19-Feb-19 19:45:33

CameliaCamelia Tue 19-Feb-19 19:45:35

She will have family in Bangladesh

StarbucksSmarterSister Tue 19-Feb-19 19:46:28

I'm sure this is illegal. I'd also like to know are they going to do the same thing to all the others who've already come back before her?

This thread is not accepting new messages.