Talk

Advanced search

Do you like where you live?

(201 Posts)
800msprint Tue 19-Feb-19 07:12:46

Where do you live? Why and do you like it or not?
I'm in a commuter town. I don't like it but I'm not sure of where best would suit me.

3in4years Tue 19-Feb-19 07:37:28

I ended up here by accident and I love it. South Cotswolds. Hilly and pretty. Friendly and arty. Lots of nature, walking. Just too far from the sea.

heartbreakcentral Tue 19-Feb-19 07:39:26

I'm in an affluent part of the West Midlands. It's ok, people can be snooty but my road is full of lovely people. Schools are brilliant and lots of green space around me. My dream though is to move to Shrewsbury which I will be doing in 4 years once the dc have finished their secondary education. I love it there and can't wait!

sittingonacornflake Tue 19-Feb-19 07:43:48

I LOVE where I live it's amazing. I live right on the coast in Cornwall and it's such an amazing town and county to live in I feel truly blessed.

There are plenty of downsides to living where I do though which you have to weigh up against the positives such as busy tourist seasons, parking is a nightmare, it's generally a long drive to get to 'civilisation' and things like public transport are shocking. It's also quite a way to an airport for holidays.

But I love it despite all of that. Being able to go to the beach every single day if I want to is pretty special.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Tue 19-Feb-19 07:44:45

I live in a nice area of the north east, a suburb in the Newcastle / Gateshead area, and I am really happy. I'm near town if I want it but have everything I need on my doorstep. Our home is a good size for our family and I have fabulous neighbours. We aren't breaking the bank on our mortgage and have money for frivolity, fun and the renovations we want to do.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 19-Feb-19 07:47:51

Trendy bit of Manchester.
Love it grin

Lj8893 Tue 19-Feb-19 07:48:19

I live in Chester and love it. It’s a City but feels like a town, so not overpowering. It has so much history and I love its quirkiness. 30-40 mins from Liverpool via train, 50-60 mins from Manchester. And beautiful north wales just across the border (I can see north wales hills from my bedroom window).
All areas of Chester are nice, with a couple of roads I wouldn’t choose to live in but equally they arnt awful by normal city standards.

Shookethtothecore Tue 19-Feb-19 07:48:20

I am half hour from my home town, which I love and would of lived there forever but the commute is too much to dh’s Place of work to make it viable, so we live in a cut and paste commuter town like hundreds of others across the uk. I love my house, the schools and the school mum friends I’ve met but would love to go back to my home town where you can walk along he coast and to parks and restaurants etc. I hate that you have to drive everywhere from here. Loading the kids in the car to pop to a shop is a chore

Bubba1234 Tue 19-Feb-19 07:49:21

I live in a small town but right in the center in an apartment.
I love it I honestly never thought living somewhere you love could make you so happy.
Everything is on my doorstep literally.
I never have to go spend a Saturday getting errands cos everything is grabbed little by little during the week I don’t even notice it.

Hairydilemma Tue 19-Feb-19 07:53:15

Small town in Essex and I love it. Grew up in a fairly boring place in the NW and couldn’t wait to get away...London was this amazing Mecca in my mind.

Now my children go to London whenever we feel like it, and our town is lovely with a busy high st. with independent shops, nice parks and plenty of open space.

I tell DC all the time how lucky we are to live here. Plus I’m hoping proximity to London and jobs means they’ll never move far, though I’m not sure that’s foolproof...

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 19-Feb-19 07:53:22

I live in a shabby and knife crimey area of East london, and I really like it. Relatively affordable housing, quick access to Central London, lots of pleasant people around. I wouldn't expect anyone else to like it though!

Impicciona Tue 19-Feb-19 07:53:25

I live on the border of France and Switzerland, near Geneva. I absolutely adore it. It's the most visually stunning place surrounded by mountains and the lake of course.

There are people from all over the world living here, my lovely neighbour is from Aruba! The lifestyle is very active, plenty of skiing in winter and hiking, swimming in the lake and biking in the spring and summer. We're right in the center of Europe and can drive easily to Italy, Austria, Germany etc.

Even though salaries are high, it's stupid expensive (McDonald's for 3 is around €45) but the city is so safe and spotless! I'll be sad once DH's contract is finished.

babysharkah Tue 19-Feb-19 07:54:19

Properly in suburbia. It's perfectly fine but not where I want to spend the rest of my life!

converseandjeans Tue 19-Feb-19 07:54:50

Village just outside Bristol. Love being near the city but also near cost. It's expensive but there is so much to see and do. You wouldn't necessarily need to go on holiday as we have beaches nearby, zoo, science museum, SS Great Britain, Clevedon, Tyntesfield, plus the usual shops, bars and restaurants.

converseandjeans Tue 19-Feb-19 07:56:47

By the COAST obviously 🙄

Oddsocksandmeatballs Tue 19-Feb-19 07:59:43

I in Suffolk, I live in one of four houses on an old dead-end lane. There are other homes dotted between us and the nearest villages but other than that it is open countryside. Everything is a car ride away but I love it. I love the feeling of closing the gate in the evening and shutting the world out. I love the sound of bird song and the damned bird scarer going off every 10 minutes, especially when I am on nights, I love the sound of owls in the evening and the fact that visitors to our elderly neighbour often call in in the their tractor.

MsSquiz Tue 19-Feb-19 08:00:25

I live in an affluent village just west of Newcastle (not posh, although a lot of the residents think it is/they are!) and I love it.

I grew up in a very deprived part of Newcastle and I love this city, so when moving, I've never lived further than 20 minutes from the city centre!

I love the fact that if we drive east, we have the Northumberland/Tyneside coastline and if we drive north or west we have beautiful countryside.

If we were to move from here, it would be for my perfect house overlooking the beach, but I think that will be my retirement house!

AlphaSigma Tue 19-Feb-19 08:01:18

Hell yes. I'm in a small village in Limassol in Cyprus. What's not to like?

stillworkingitout Tue 19-Feb-19 08:02:25

City central but suburban location on the south coast. Very different to the rural/seaside area I grew up in. Not somewhere I would have imagined living when growing up. It works well for us - walking commute to work/nursery/school, area has quite a bit of green space for urban area, but I worry about city pollution levels. Area is very friendly with good community. House is nice, and suits us. Could be happy for many years here but also have itchy feet.

4point2fleet Tue 19-Feb-19 08:03:03

Love it. Market town in Dorset. The pace of life is slow- but that's what I love it for. There is none of the competitive parenting and fevered consumerism we experienced in the SE.

lavenderbongo Tue 19-Feb-19 08:05:14

I live on the edge of on of the cities in NZ. Ten minutes walk to the beach and local shops - minutes from fields in the other direction. Surrounded by trees and bird life. I love it and consider myself very lucky to be here.

Juanbablo Tue 19-Feb-19 08:10:00

Yes I do. I live in a little village halfway between Oxford and Reading. The people are friendly. The children can play outside. They school is good. The only problem today is I have virtually no petrol and the petrol station is 20 mins away! Luckily it's downhill!

BooksAreMyOnlyFriends Tue 19-Feb-19 08:11:49

North Hampshire. Works for us. Easy to travel to London for work and the airports and an easy drive to the South West where we like to holiday in the summer.

Mmmhmmokdear Tue 19-Feb-19 08:14:00

Definitely. I'm in a village in the East Midlands with decent local facilities. Nice friendly people, easy access to the local market towns, retail parks as well as Leicester / Nottingham / Derby.

My actual house is lovely too, detached, in a quiet cul de sac with brilliant neighbours. Couldn't be happier.

KateGrey Tue 19-Feb-19 08:14:47

Small affluent town in Essex. Moved as my parents live here and we have two children with special needs. Sadly kids are semi settled though I would prefer not to live here I feel a bit stuck here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: