Talk

Advanced search

Well the first run is happening!

(16 Posts)
Geekster1963 Thu 21-Feb-19 18:06:53

That's brilliant getting out there running again. I'm going to running club tonight having only run once in February due to illness and I can't wait.

I did the couch to 5k five years ago now and it was one of the best things I ever did for my health.

OddestSock Thu 21-Feb-19 17:51:11

Good for you. I've taken up running for my mental health recently and it's made such a difference. Hope you get out again this evening smile

JourneyOfSelfImprovement Thu 21-Feb-19 17:47:39

@Imstickingwiththisone well done! I haven't had the chance to get out and run again but I'm going to do a HIIT workout tonight while DH is out running smile

I ran regularly a couple of years ago but my knees don't thank me for it! I think one run a week might be my max but still would like to do other exercise.

Imstickingwiththisone Tue 19-Feb-19 22:44:45

Glad you got out journey I went for mine tonight and got drenched! Forgot how difficult it would be, thought I'd find it exhilarating hmm really pleased I went though and looking forward to Thursday now it's over!

Have you been a keen runner in the past? I'm following the c25k schedule as I'm a total novice and very unfit.

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Mon 18-Feb-19 20:49:17

I try for 2/3 times a week and only toddle along doing 5k on a good day but I figure it's still good for me!

I'd advise googling some stretches to do before bed to help your recovery and maybe reduce some of the ache you might (you may not) feel tomorrow.

Not sure what your circumstance are and what times you're able to go but I'd suggest if you have the luxury to do so try experimenting with what times of day suit your body best. I always used to be an evening runner however childcare and work meant I had to try early morning running for a bit and oddly, once I got used to it found it suited me much better. It's wonderful in the summer to get out then not so much now whilst it's still dark! As others say the thought of the hot shower, proper coffee and porridge keep me going!

Hopefully you'll get out in the next few days and remember - even if you only manage a short one, the fact you've done it is amazing. Plus, on the days it's a slog getting out, once you've done it you never regret going IYSWIM!

Keep us posted smile

JourneyOfSelfImprovement Mon 18-Feb-19 20:39:54

@Imstickingwiththisone I usually eat tea after I exercise but had an early one tonight, and a later run than planned. I've been talking myself into it then out of it all last week so I had to go after deciding that tonight was The Night! Hope you enjoy your run tomorrow smile

@choosingchilli I'm so glad it's working for you! Hope you continue to feel better smile

@tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz yes me too! Do you run often? I want to say tomorrow... grin DH is on early finishes at work this week so it's a good time to get right into it if I can keep in this frame of mind.

WishUponAStar88 Mon 18-Feb-19 20:29:54

Well done op! I hate the thought of running. Hate the run but then feel amazing for it after a hot shower!

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Mon 18-Feb-19 20:29:38

Glad it was a good one OP, I went tonight too, warmed up very quickly grin.

When's your next one?!!

Sirzy Mon 18-Feb-19 20:24:31

Can’t beat a good run!

JourneyOfSelfImprovement Mon 18-Feb-19 20:21:06

Oh thank you all smile

I actually did enjoy it! I've just got home, and my legs and chest hurt, but I feel... Buzzing?! That's probably the best way to describe it.

Just need a soak in the bath before an early night now! Hopefully I'll feel good tomorrow.

Imstickingwiththisone Mon 18-Feb-19 20:19:55

Enjoy OP! I was literally going to start tonight but I forgot and ate my tea so I've had to reschedule for tomorrow (good start) but I'm lookin forward to it!

Happyralphymummy Mon 18-Feb-19 20:19:49

Nice one OP, good luck.

sparkling123 Mon 18-Feb-19 20:19:10

Go OP! Good luck

choosingchilli Mon 18-Feb-19 20:16:38

Go for it op!

I'm the same, I hadn't run for about 18 months and started again recently to help with anxiety. I'm on week 5 of couch to 5k now and it's given me such a boost.

Enjoy your run 🏃‍♀️

Mmmhmmokdear Mon 18-Feb-19 20:11:17

Good luck OP and enjoy!!

JourneyOfSelfImprovement Mon 18-Feb-19 19:36:57

When DH gets home from his run I'll be going out for my brisk walk run grin my first one in a couple of years.

Struggled with my mental health a little bit these past few weeks, and although I need the physical health perks too I'm more focusing on the mental boost! Getting into shape will hopefully just be a nice side effect.

Wish me luck...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »