Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a place somewhere in the world where you feel "spiritually" at home even if you have no actual connection to it?

(82 Posts)
TheKitchenWitch Mon 18-Feb-19 16:41:33

That is the most convoluted thread title, apologies.
But I've had this weird feeling in about 3 places in my life, places which I don't actually have any deep connection to - one was a bar/restaurant, one is a park, and one is a famous historic landmark. I feel such a sense of belonging and peace in each of these places, and I can't at all explain what it is.

Does anyone else have this? Is there a name for it?

SomethingOnce Mon 18-Feb-19 17:19:26

The ruins of Pompeii.

OverwateredCheeseplant Mon 18-Feb-19 17:30:02

Hastings beach. I could sit there for hours listening to the waves on the shore.

Also mount Vesuvius. I have such a pull to go back.

Electrocute1980 Mon 18-Feb-19 17:32:07

Yes! Mine is the Tower of London. I absolutely love it there and we always stay at a hotel which looks onto it. I just feel very drawn to the whole area.

adiposegirl2 Mon 18-Feb-19 17:33:34

Wakanda

grin

Weetabixandshreddies Mon 18-Feb-19 17:35:49

Geneva - it was a very weird feeling. It felt like I had come home even though I'd never been there before.

wendywoopywoo222 Mon 18-Feb-19 17:36:54

Santorini. I feel properly at home there.

Dillyson Mon 18-Feb-19 17:39:01

France. As soon as I arrive its as if a huge weight has been lifted.

birdsdestiny Mon 18-Feb-19 17:40:24

Paris.

Zofloramummy Mon 18-Feb-19 17:40:35

Northumberland I’ve holidayed there since I was a child and have been back many times since. Every time I drive north my soul lightens

thenightsky Mon 18-Feb-19 17:40:59

Its strange isn't it. My places are:

Barcelona (I have to go every year to sort of reconnect with it),

A hotel called La Jardin Tecina on the island of La Gomera.

A small beach - Aguiar Blava in Costa Brava. Not been there for over a decade, but I can shut my eyes and can see it, smell the sea air and fresh fish restaurant and feel the cool cobbles under my bare feet, just before I step onto the hot sand. Weirdly, DH is the same about this one beach.

TarragonSauce Mon 18-Feb-19 17:43:47

Aviemore
Madeira
What a weird combination but whenever I arrive in either of these two, I can really begin to think straight and to reflect on myself

tothesea Mon 18-Feb-19 17:43:58

The Yorkshire Dales! We went there on holiday 3 years in a row I felt so drawn to it. I do think I was maybe a Yorkshire lass in a previous life although growing up watching All Creatures Great and Small might have something to do with it!!

chickensaresafehere Mon 18-Feb-19 17:46:21

Key West - going there feels like coming home,every time.
I felt a connection with it the first time I visited nearly 30 years ago.
I would feel at peace if I could live my final days there.

DuggeesWoggle Mon 18-Feb-19 17:47:45

The Scottish Highlands. Just feel at home there.

Anywhere on the coast - I am definitely a sea lover. I can just feel myself breathe more easily by the sea, I'm instantly calmer. I do have a connection though, my parents grew up by the sea so we spent all our childhood holidays there.

TressiliansStone Mon 18-Feb-19 17:49:44

I had this for many years about a city I had no known connection to and didn't visit till my mid-20s.

I've recently discovered my family comes from there generations ago and were local worthies. One of the monuments I'd merrily eaten my lunch by in the city centre is dedicated to a member of family.shock

Samanabanana Mon 18-Feb-19 17:49:59

The Canadian Rockies, I wish I could move there!

Anothertempusername Mon 18-Feb-19 17:50:39

Definitely Paris. The first time I went (as a young teenager) I inexplicably knew my way around.

Grinchly Mon 18-Feb-19 18:11:42

Another one for Paris, and France generally. Yorkshire Dales and Northumberland.

seastargirl Mon 18-Feb-19 18:13:13

Llandudno, I feel at peace as soon as I see the orme!

MadisonAvenue Mon 18-Feb-19 18:14:45

New York. It felt like home from my very first visit. It’s where I feel the real me shows herself, and oddly enough I must give off an air of belonging there as I often have people asking me for directions when walking around.

FrannySalinger Mon 18-Feb-19 18:15:47

Nepal.... and a local pub

frenchonion Mon 18-Feb-19 18:19:04

Isle of Skye in Scotland, in the mountains.

TillyTheTiger Mon 18-Feb-19 18:23:50

Lake Hawea, New Zealand. I never wanted to leave, and can't wait to be able to afford to return.

origamiunicorn Mon 18-Feb-19 18:24:19

The Palace of Versailles and specifically the Hall of Mirrors, I felt I'd been there before but I know I haven't.

Also weirdly, Old Wardour Castle - I've never felt such a sense of calm and peace in a place, ever.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »