Talk

Advanced search

work 'welfare' chat whilst on sick leave?

(29 Posts)
StripeyChina Fri 15-Feb-19 17:38:48

I'm on a training course/placement which is paid.
I have mobility difficulties.
1 month into my work they comissioned an Occ H report which they've ignored.
I've become unwell and am approaching 4 weeks on sick leave. This is 4m into my 6m probation.
Ive been called into a 'welfare' meeting which is referred to as informal as they are 'concerned for my safety' (eh?) and want to know nature of illness and when i'll be back. I am due to speak to my GP that day re some blood tests but it might not be before the lunchtime work meeting.
Can i delay it or should i go?

Jackshouse Fri 15-Feb-19 17:43:02

Are you in a union?

StripeyChina Fri 15-Feb-19 17:48:04

Um. Not that I am aware of sorry.
I did call ACAS and they said I would possibly have 'protected rights'?
I just don't really want to go in for the meeting before I've spoken to GP but don't want upset if I refuse?
I have a work laptop that I'd need to return but the reason I'm struggling with my health is that they've made no adaptations and have been really snide when I've got tired / struggled to concentrate.

Jackshouse Fri 15-Feb-19 17:53:52

I would say you can meet them after you have seen your GP. Bring an observer (friend) to make notes and discuss your concerns with them.

EleanorRigbey Fri 15-Feb-19 18:03:47

I agree with Jackhouse, reschedule until after your GP apt, enquire about the Occ H report.

LIZS Fri 15-Feb-19 18:05:47

Have you got time to speak to Access for Work beforehand?

StripeyChina Fri 15-Feb-19 18:40:18

I only got the letter today (it was sent 'signed for' but postie just left it in box). I might struggle to get someone to come along with me Tues lunchtime now. It would make more sense to speak to them after I've spoken to GP (I don't have an appointment and GP can call up to 7pm _ I can try calling Tues am to ask GP to call before lunch but I'm not going to know and I'm going to be a bit stressed about that).

I've got the Occ H report. Says I must work ground floor, have breaks etc. I am upstairs (no lift, no fire escape, no access to loo). I am due ankle surgery in next 3 months and dont see how it can work?

I can call Access to work yes but that only gives me Monday.

Thank you.x

StripeyChina Tue 19-Feb-19 12:16:06

Just to say i emailed work and asked if the meeting could be postponed until after i spoke to GP re test results and the reply was:
'it is entirely your decision to postpone the meeting. we will call you this morning anyway'.
It seems a bit snippy but don't know if that is me being sensitive?

LookImAHooman Tue 19-Feb-19 12:21:37

What did Access to Work say?

Side note, regardless of specific circumstances - no fire escape?!

Roxyxoxo Tue 19-Feb-19 12:24:27

Who is the meeting with? Are Occ Health going to be there? Without knowing more it’s hard to judge, but where I am the welfare meetings are designed to help understand more about any adjustments and any way that work can help; not necessarily about any sort of punishment if that makes sense. Can you ask for an agenda or anything?

StripeyChina Tue 19-Feb-19 12:28:43

Yes 1st floor, no lift, no fire escape.
Occ Health not there just two managers who have ignored Occ H report.
I asked CAB about Access to work and they said it sounded like work just trying to get AtW to pay for a special chair (that i couldn't use part of the week they are making me drive around anyway?)

Roxyxoxo Tue 19-Feb-19 12:36:30

Is there anyway you can request Occ Health to accompany you? It does sound potentially if they have ignored the report that they are hoping to skirt around doing anything, and ultimately push you out (this may just be my scepticism though!). Sorry you’re going through this whilst off sick, work places vary so much in their procedures, and although reasonable that they may want to know when you are likely to return etc- it seems they haven’t done anything to support you or implement what seem like reasonable adjustments.

ScreamingValenta Tue 19-Feb-19 12:38:55

It would be eminently sensible to wait until after you have had the GP appointment. Any reasonable employer should allow you to postpone the appointment until later that day or the following day.

StripeyChina Tue 19-Feb-19 12:58:41

I thought so, ScreamingValenta

Work ignored Occ H suggestion I needed a ground floor room. When I said I'd nowhere to lean my crutches at my mid-room desk they screwed a piece of metal to the edge of my desk. The crutches don't 'fit' and the drawer now won't open. The Manager (who is holding this meeting) seemed to find it amusing.

LIZS Tue 19-Feb-19 13:57:30

Contact Access for Work before the meeting, otherwise that will be their first defence and cause further delay. Does it matter if it takes a bit of effort to get results from them. A former colleague found them very useful and levered adjustments from the employer.

StripeyChina Tue 19-Feb-19 15:46:26

Well, they just called. I can go in Friday for the meeting or 'if I am not up to driving they will come to the house' - that felt uncomfortable so I'll have to try to arrange a lift.

Auntpetunia2015 Tue 19-Feb-19 15:54:28

No they won’t come to the house that’s bang out of order ! Call occ health and talk to them ASAP. Refer to the report and the things that your management haven’t done ask them about the meeting and what they know about it. Call hr and ask them what their policy is on welfare meetings ie, coming to your home? Take action your manager sounds like they are failing miserable to manage !

StripeyChina Tue 19-Feb-19 16:05:53

I felt very uncomfortable re the pushing about coming to my house. That's why I don't like speaking to her and would prefer emails.

My sick note ends today. I am due to speak to GP. If it is not extended, do i have to go in before the meeting on Friday? I assume they wont pay me, and we agreed I would not be in before, but can they fire me for 'not turning up'? I don't trust them to be decent any more.

Can I refuse to go back to a place with no fire exit? I am due an ankle op so will need to be in plaster and I am even less confident of being able to 'get out' down the stairs quickly in that situation.
Tbh, I think it would be better if they 'let me go' on health grounds. It's making me ill to work in that environment but if I resign I cannot claim any benefits whilst I look for a new job which could take a while.

Auntpetunia2015 Tue 19-Feb-19 16:09:01

Phone occ health and hr now. Ask these questions, tell hr you have a occ health report with recommendations that aren’t being met and now because of this you’re off sick and you’re being pushed to have a welfare meeting in your home. Don’t sit back get your ducks in a row and get advice ASAP.

LIZS Tue 19-Feb-19 16:31:45

There should be an evacuation plan for disabled employees/clients - evac chair, safe place with longer retardancy etc.

LIZS Tue 19-Feb-19 16:32:31

And you either need a sick note or be available for work - it would play into their hands to be awol.

Pinkprincess1978 Tue 19-Feb-19 17:06:10

Sorry not rtft so you might have had the answer. I have these meetings at work quite often (I work in HR) and I would suggest you ask to hold the meeting after your appointment with your GP so that you will have more information to discuss. I would be more than happy to accommodate this request. Whatever you do, don't not go or keep cancelling as this will look bad and will not curry favour.

If they have not followed the recommendations from OH and if these have contributed to your being unable to work you really must mention this in the meeting and make sure when they send you the notes this is documented.

StripeyChina Thu 21-Feb-19 18:45:37

Well, I've been signed off for a further 2 weeks.
GP says it is not clear when I will be well enough to return.

Work is insisting I come in tomorrow for the meeting.
Called me Tues, Weds and today.
I am going to take the Occ H report and tell them that the reason I am off sick is that they have not adhered to any of its recommendations.
Tried to get through to Scope as Access to work is just an online form, from what I could see but Scope helpline permanently engaged.

StripeyChina Thu 21-Feb-19 19:40:58

Just re-read Occ H report.
Says my lower limb conditions count as a disability re Tribunal.
That I should have ground floor room, fire assessment, time off for medical appointments, shorter day, adjustment with workloads, no requirement to drive except 15m distances.
None of which I've had - except time off for medical appointments -
(but they say this is no longer possible ongoing).
I've got very run down due to this and am now also anaemic and on iron injections and antinausea tablets to help with the nausea from the iron. I'm on other injections too. I got quite stressed by the way they've been around me - bullying really and the way they've said come to the meeting or we'll come to your house - not appropriate when i have 2 kids with SEN (they know this).

Not sure how to approach it tomorrow?
I'd like to think i can still work there but i need them to put in place the things in their own Occ H report and i'd like to return to work, say 1/2 days for first 2/3 days. Does this seem reasonable please?

Auntpetunia2015 Fri 22-Feb-19 00:23:57

Did you speak to hr and occ health about this.?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »