Talk

Advanced search

What are your little holiday "traditions"?

(193 Posts)
CarolDanvers Thu 14-Feb-19 17:12:02

Those little things you do that wouldn't really excite anyone else but you make you happy and enhance your holiday? I like going to a supermarket as soon as possible after arrival and buying shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion in a scents or brands not available in the U.K. Then we use it all holiday and if I like it I buy some more to take home and then whenever I use it it takes me back to being on that holiday 😊

Ronsters Sun 17-Feb-19 20:43:21

I usually buy a pen, or a mug. Still using my Tattershall Castle pen and my Mani mug, complete with Greek flag. Also got a fridge magnet and a mini flag with the Mani motto "victory or death!"
Plus, my felt slippers from Crete, with a griffin stitched on the top, naff but toasty.
I like a prev posters idea of buying the most bizarre looking bottle of local booze, great idea!

MissLanesAmericanCousin Sun 17-Feb-19 21:25:36

I wear Boucheron perfume every Christmas, and Lush Cinders fragrance every Halloween. smile

bananasandwicheseveryday Sun 17-Feb-19 22:02:30

@Averysmallcasserole

Although I like to get an actual Christmas decoration, as long as I like it, I will buy anything that I can hang on my tree. Last year I got some beautiful decorations from the Kaethe Wolfhart shop in York. here . I prefer to buy something that is either special to the place or has another significance for some reason.
I hope you have as much fun with it as we have over the years.

girlywhirly Sun 17-Feb-19 22:06:33

I almost always buy an item of jewellery on holiday, or sometimes DH has bought something I like for my birthday or Christmas. I suppose that is a tradition! DH and I try to have a special meal on each holiday too.

elQuintoConyo Sun 17-Feb-19 22:22:01

Klopptimist that sounds fabulous!

Sophisticatedsarcasm Sun 17-Feb-19 22:26:55

When I was younger we owned a caravan in Great Yarmouth, I would always be the ones in charge of getting the shopping from the local spar, I loved it, they knew me well. Also me and my brother were somewhat celebs at one of the arcades. My Nan was always playing the bingo and we were always on the 2p machines and all the regular holidaymakers knew us . We literally filled our caravan up with
The essentials from the bingo and arcade wins.
Now we go to butlins Skegness every year, except this year we are going to Disneyland. But the kids are into the arcades and despite living in a seaside town we rarely get to the arcades so it’s a nice treat whilst away.

Snowmaggedon Sun 17-Feb-19 22:28:07

Love the holiday scrap book Idea.

We also buy fridge magnets... and I've started to write postcards to the children whilst we are there. Maybe I could add them to a scrap book

MrsTumbletap Sun 17-Feb-19 22:31:39

I buy several magazines such as Heat, Ok etc, never read them any other times.

Buy a puzzle book that has word searches, arrow words and suduko etc DH and I pass it to each other whilst relaxing on a sun lounger.

But treats for the room, chocolates, crisps, jelly sweets etc. with a young DS in bed by 8pm we are then room bound so eat treats and watch downloaded films.

Pack tea and coffee that I love, need a flavour I am used to.

Lardlizard Sun 17-Feb-19 22:39:22

I like filling the fridge with drink 😂😂

MissLanesAmericanCousin Sun 17-Feb-19 22:46:24

I also have eggnog (which is liquid happiness! grin ) only twice a year. One at Thanksgiving and the other at Christmas. It is so delicious, but so bad for you! I'm kinda glad that it is not available all year round. It would bet so hard to resist!

Sladurche Mon 18-Feb-19 05:23:06

We fly every year because we go to where my DH is from. We always have a fry up breakfast at the airport, then buy perfume and gifts of alcohol from duty free for DH's friends and family- stuff only available in the UK, like nice whisky. On arrival, the tradition is; no beer or wine until suitcases are unpacked- it speeds it up! When we are there, we'll try and book a spa day (we leave kids with DFIL for the day to improve their language skills).

Lardlizard Mon 18-Feb-19 09:51:30

What is in eggnog ?

elQuintoConyo Mon 18-Feb-19 10:40:53

Lots and lots of nog, Lardlizard . It's a finite resource, like helium, I'm surprised more MNers aren't up in arms about it being consumed with wild abandon!

* Totally no idea.
** Love your username!

MissLanesAmericanCousin Mon 18-Feb-19 15:03:40

Lardlizard, Here ya go! It is the best drink ever!!!!!!!

I drink it without the bourbon, though, cause' I don't drink anymore.

Enjoy! grin

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2-2013745

Lardlizard Mon 18-Feb-19 15:45:36

Right I’m doing that this year!!
What’s nutmeg like ?
Don’t know if I’ve ever had that before and wonder what roughly is half a cup

thecatsthecats Mon 18-Feb-19 15:56:38

I try to buy a Christmas decoration from everywhere in the word.

No matchy matchy bauble bollocks for me - it's a patchwork of all the weird and wonderful Christmas decorations from around the world.

Also pinecones. We still have giant pinecones from Pompeii collected over twenty years ago.

MissLanesAmericanCousin Mon 18-Feb-19 15:56:56

Lardlizard Nutmeg is a sweet spice, a bit similar to cinnamon but not nearly as hot. It can be used in savory dishes too. I use it in a lot of holiday bath teas that I make.
I regards to measurements, I would just buy a measuring cup. I only measure things when I am baking, now that I'm an experienced cook, I just eyeball things.

Good luck! smile

Lardlizard Mon 18-Feb-19 16:03:08

Well I don’t like cinnamon sonill have to try it more adding nutmeg

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »