Talk

Advanced search

What are your little holiday "traditions"?

(193 Posts)
CarolDanvers Thu 14-Feb-19 17:12:02

Those little things you do that wouldn't really excite anyone else but you make you happy and enhance your holiday? I like going to a supermarket as soon as possible after arrival and buying shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion in a scents or brands not available in the U.K. Then we use it all holiday and if I like it I buy some more to take home and then whenever I use it it takes me back to being on that holiday 😊

AlexaAmbidextra Sun 17-Feb-19 14:47:02

Oh yes, breakfast en route. Coming from East Anglia to the West Country I try to hold out until Swindon but sometimes have to give in at Reading. Although I have to say, it’s usually my bladder that governs this decision rather than my empty stomach. 😄

oldsilver Sun 17-Feb-19 14:10:07

New suduko book each holiday. We also have our annual crib championship - have a 3 way board especially, don't seem to play it any other time.

Always get there early (wherever) so quick trip to nearest beach for a dip paddle (have a bag with cossies/towels/talc seperately on top of packing) before check in - normally with walking distance if caravans/chalets - do this on way home as well, check out at 10, straight to beach, last swim, lunch in beach cafe then home.

Seem to have a fry up every day with naice bacon, sausages and mushrooms. This year DH and I had a swim in the sea before DH cooked breakfast - gave moany teenage DS time to wake up first.

Used to always get a souvenir bookmark wherever i went but you can't seem to get them anymore

maddiemookins16mum Sun 17-Feb-19 13:28:52

Oh and yes to the Christmas tree ornament where possible (got some lovely glass Christmas trees in a wee shop in St Ives last September).

maddiemookins16mum Sun 17-Feb-19 13:27:11

We always have a Chinese the night before.
Always go to an ice-cream parlour type place for pudding of an evening.
Light a candle in a church for missed loved ones.
I always have a gin and bitter lemon on the flight too (even at 10am 😳).

Ellie56 Sun 17-Feb-19 12:19:51

These days there are just the two of us, and we always have a new book each, and DH always has a new puzzle book.

When the we took the kids camping, they always had 2 new comics each and some treats for the car.

parry45 Sun 17-Feb-19 11:40:02

We have a little caravan we tow and we NEVER go camping eithout Bacon Grill!!!
Love the holiday box idea! I'm going to do this.

Thatsnotmyotter Sun 17-Feb-19 11:38:43

Orangina was our holiday drink of choice paired with a Petit Prince chocolate biscuit. Can’t have it in the UK - it’s wrong. YES! I feel all warm and happy and holiday-ish just thinking about that!

Thatsnotmyotter Sun 17-Feb-19 11:36:52

If flying - gin and tonic, Pringles and a Peperami on the plane! It is a scientific fact that all three taste better in the air.

Oldraver Sun 17-Feb-19 10:42:58

We've been going to the same place for the last few years so we always stop at Tidworth Tesco to get in a few basic supplies, usually beer/gin/bacon and a few treats as we eat out on the first night.

First day we go to the nearest town as there is a Farmers Market with lots of nice goodies and do a main shop.

We recently had an overnight stay and did breakfast out which we hadn't done before so will be doing that again for sure

Bridgeofpies Sun 17-Feb-19 10:12:03

Oh and as a kid we always went to France so Orangina was our holiday drink of choice paired with a Petit Prince chocolate biscuit. Can’t have it in the UK - it’s wrong.

Bridgeofpies Sun 17-Feb-19 10:10:41

Loving this thread - totally stealing some of these traditions! It’s inspited me to start a new one asking where everyone is going on holiday! Need a bit of holiday chat in Feb!

Our traditions include:
- little cereal multipacks
- breakfast en route
- ridiculously enormous amount of food for gannets in the back of the car on long journeys
- DC allowed to spend pocket money on some souvenir tat they love
- singing “we’re all going on a summer holiday” as we pull out of the driveway
- me and DH getting very tense with each other during the packing process and house being left like a bomb site but with fridge emptied and bins taken out.

Can’t wait for 2019 hols!!

rightreckoner Sun 17-Feb-19 10:01:26

I like to buy a Christmas tree ornament too. And the kids are allowed a variety pack of shit cereal and a giant jar of Nutella.

Always play Cliff Richard - Summer Holiday in the car on the way smile

ihearttc Sun 17-Feb-19 09:56:08

Such a lovely thread!

I have a holiday drawer at home which has got suncream, mini toiletries etc

I also have a stack of books which I save for holiday so when I find a new one I like I put it into my holiday book pile so it's all ready for when we go!

And this is very specific to the holiday destination we go to (we go to the Middle East a lot as DH works there) but we always buy a can of Strawberry Fanta as our first drink.

Fluffiest Sun 17-Feb-19 09:41:42

We always say a prayer when we get in the car to go, and we say one on the way back too.

If we're going South we always stop for a break at the service station after Birmingham.

We try a different flavour of ice cream each time we go to the beach.

And books. Lots of books!

Dillyson Sun 17-Feb-19 08:35:25

We buy a fridge magnet and a tea towel from each destination. The magnets go on a big old fridge in our utility room.
Recently we've started buying the weirdest bottle of local alcohol we can find. Our friends do the same and we occasionally have a rather odd cocktail party.

MsSquiz Sun 17-Feb-19 08:17:22

If flying I always buy a bottle of perfume at the airport, and a huge bag of haribo peaches (you can't seem to get them anywhere else!)
When I was a kid we always got a fridge magnet, no matter where we went. My DM's fridge had no space left and she ended up keeping them in a box. It was one of my favourite things to go through when she died, so many memories

If driving in the UK as we pass Weatherby services, we have to stop for food and a wee! It's DH's rule. On hungover journeys it will be for a Burger King (we never eat them other than this) or it can just be for some sweets and a drink.

If going on a train, DH always gets a large coffee and I always get a hot chocolate (no matter what the weather) as we head off.

Pumpkintopf Sun 17-Feb-19 02:04:39

This is a lovely thread.

We do this too-

*We always book into an airport hotel that offers parking for the duration of our holiday for the night before our flight.
That way we can take our time getting there. It doesn't matter if there's a traffic hold up etc, because we're not rushing to get the flight. Once we've checked in and parked the car, we go to the bar and relax. We have an evening meal in the hotel with a bottle of wine. As soon as we've checked in to the airport hotel our holiday has started as far as we're concerned, even though we haven't left the ground yet.*

And also the Christmas ornament thing.

Love the five minute rule, will have to adopt that one!

Viryanth Sat 16-Feb-19 23:15:58

Lost in the mysteries of time as to why, but all UK holidays have to be accompanied by having an ELO's greatest hits album on the car CD. We've worn at least three out, thankfully they're usually easy to find in charity shops.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 16-Feb-19 21:55:56

@JingsMahBucket
I should hope things have moved with the times and I might give Ocado a try but that would be (gasp) breaking with tradition!

Chesntoots Sat 16-Feb-19 21:47:47

I used to fetch a pebble, small rock or seashell for my grandma and grandad when I went abroad. I didn't have many holidays anroad until about 7 years ago, but when I did go (in my 30's!) it reminded me of when I was little and finding my "prizes" on the beach.

I remember clearing their house out after they had both died and they still had the pebbles on a special shelf in the living room.

That makes me sad but also happy at the same time. Yes, I did keep them!

Ronsters Sat 16-Feb-19 21:07:47

I like going to the local supermarket and buying unknown brands. I often go on holiday to Greece and like to look out for some Loux sour cherry drink, which I really like, and some Lays or Ruffles crisps. I also like to have a frappe on my first afternoon there, followed by a glass or two of wine. I like to buy a little naff souvenir too, last year I got a pen at the airport with a Greek flag that popped out. I often buy useful things that catch my eye, got some little knives in a Greek supermarket that are really handy for peeling veg.

I'm holidaying in the UK this year so will be looking for some nice local produce/tacky UK souvenir. Will be stopping at a motorway service station too, for an over priced coffee and some sweets.

I like to clean the house before I go, so it's clean and tidy when I get back. The cat goes in a cattery so I make his litter tray up, ready for when he is home again.

I like to buy magazines like Take a Breaks fiction feast or a word search/puzzler. Only ever buy these mags when going on holiday.

Strokethefurrywall Sat 16-Feb-19 21:03:33

I'm a little sad that I don't have that "holiday" feeling anymore as I live abroad and travel so I no longer have that lovely "packing for 2 weeks in Lindos and getting to Gatwick at stupid o'clock in the morning" feeling anymore.

That being said, every time I see the BA flight waiting to take me back to LHR, I get through security and "start" my holiday with a glass of wine.

And thinking back on previous visits, the general ritual my parents and I have is that they'll get me a costa coffee when I let them know I"ve landed so when I get through arrivals, it's waiting for me. And then when we get back home, they'll have a Gregg's Steak Bake waiting for me too, with a mug of yorkshire tea. Proper English rituals grin

Flying back with my two boys for Easter, leaving DH here, so I'm looking forward to doing the same again!

ComeOnGordon Sat 16-Feb-19 20:33:31

&FuckitFriday - forgot that we also do a boots meal deal. 3 out the 4 of us have a Mexican chicken wrap. The rebellious 4th one has something different each time. It’s such a good deal

BlueStockingUK Sat 16-Feb-19 20:25:14

House has to be lovely & clean before we leave.
Let friends/fam know you're away and apart from text to close fam, ABSOLUTELY no social media/emails etc.
Holiday's close to the sea ( UK & abroad )
UK - stop half way for lunch - always have/or purchase on the way; mini cereal pack, magazines, treats & alcohol.grin
Abroad - 1 little treat at duty free, food, then shallow breaths & panic, checking boarding every few minutes until sitting on the plane! blush
Unpack quickly and go and explore.
Have tripadvisor prints for; " best places to eat/drink/see /visit etc" smile

Shodan Sat 16-Feb-19 19:23:40

Something my mum taught me- I always buy a 'useful' souvenir. She started it in Switzerland, where she bought a milk bottle carrier that could fit 6 bottles-we are 6 siblings and had milk delivered every day, and UK ones at the time only held 4. I got an aluminium ruler, totally unlike any you could buy here, and used it every day at school.

So now I buy mugs, or tea towels, or other household paraphernalia that is useful and unique to where I visit.

I also love visiting foreign supermarkets and peering at the 'strange' things they have for sale there grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »