Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Would you say this dress is acceptable for a wedding evening reception?

(81 Posts)
Acx2728 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:25:05

I've just purchased this dress for an upcoming charity event I have to attend but I am hoping it will be double up for an upcoming wedding due to the cost and I am having to have the dress altered and taken in slightly so would be nice to get more than one wear out of it. It will only be the evening reception I am attending. It will be paired with black shoes and a black bag and the bottom of the dress is like a taupe colour.

OP’s posts: |
Acx2728 Tue 12-Feb-19 19:29:56

@Applescoop. It will be a hotel venue and berry/raspberry sounds lovely. I think I am just going to check with the bride closer to the time as we are friends. I really dont think she will mind at all but I'd rather be asked if unsure and be respectful. Thank you.

Applescoop Tue 12-Feb-19 19:32:04

Sounds like a plan. Forgot to say that I think it looks very elegant!

NerdyBird Tue 12-Feb-19 19:41:37

In that photo the whole thing looks white, do you have a different one that shows the colour better? My cousin wore a white dress to my wedding, which I was mildly and briefly surprised at but other people noticed and commented.

BirdieInTheHand Tue 12-Feb-19 19:50:03

As it appears in the picture it is totally inappropriate for a wedding. You can wear any colour you like but cream really is a no

Acx2728 Tue 12-Feb-19 19:52:28

No I dont have another picture as I only took that one earlier when I tried it on and havent picked the dress up from the shop yet as ive only put down a deposit. The top bit is cream but the bottom half is a pale greyish colour, almost very pale taupe so it's a two tone.

Acx2728 Tue 12-Feb-19 19:54:12

@nerdybird. I'd say the bottom colour is about this colour

NoParticularPattern Tue 12-Feb-19 20:00:33

I don’t dislike the dress, it’s a perfectly nice dress. The only thing I would say is that my wedding dress was a similar colour. I didn’t wear white or the usual ivory (although it did have ivory lace overlay) and this would have looked almost identical colour wise if you’d stood next to me. I don’t think I’d have been annoyed with you for wearing it, but I would have thought that there were literally in infinite number of other colours you could have chosen instead. I know you don’t want to match the bridesmaids but I think you could have gone for anything other than such a pale colour with reasonable confidence

NerdyBird Tue 12-Feb-19 21:23:39

Ah, for me that's still too light. I'd say that was cream or off-white not taupe. If the bride isn't likely to be bothered you could wear it, but be aware other people at the wedding may feel differently.

Bodear Tue 12-Feb-19 21:31:18

If you ask the bride you’re putting her in a very difficult situation, especially if she knows youve already bought it. I think it’s too close to cream/ ivory to wear to a wedding and I’d have been annoyed if you wore it to mine. If you’d have asked me beforehand I probably wouldn’t have wanted to be rude so I’m not sure what I’d have said tbh.
With regards to the colour of the bridesmaids dresses you can easily ask the bride what her colours are, or look at the invite for a hint. As a pp said, you can wear any other colour without risking causing offence so why would you?

Acx2728 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:41:02

Thanks bodear. I will mention I haven't brought it specially and its actually for a charity do i have in a few weeks, the wedding isnt until June i just thought it would save on money if i could use the dress again after the charity event.

Bestseller Tue 12-Feb-19 21:46:05

I don't think it's the bride you need to worry about, more likely her mother and other female relatives.

I agree,you cant ask her. Some people will think it's a strange choice. It's up to you if you care about that

Drogosnextwife Tue 12-Feb-19 21:48:45

No I agree, lovely dress but it look ivory so I wouldn't wear it to a wedding.

DippyAvocado Tue 12-Feb-19 21:53:12

It's fine. Even if anyone did think it was too "bridal", if it's only the evening reception you won't be in any of the photos and hopefully by that time of day people will have managed to work out you're not the bride or bridesmaid!

HedgePlastic Tue 12-Feb-19 21:55:28

Definitely not.

RumpoleoftheBaileys Tue 12-Feb-19 21:58:26

Def not.

Mmmhmmokdear Tue 12-Feb-19 22:01:16

I wouldn't. Too pale. Choose another colour.

bringincrazyback Tue 12-Feb-19 22:02:10

Personally I don't think colour matters at the evening reception, does it?? Wouldn't have bothered me at my wedding, mind you some people wore cream for the day itself and that didn't bother me either. lol

Acx2728 Tue 12-Feb-19 22:13:10

@bringincrazyback. It wouldn't bother me either, but seems it would bother a lot of these ladies. The thing is Im literally probably only going to be at the evening do for 2hr max as it doesn't start until 7/7.30 (cant remember which one) and im taking my 3yr old son who wont last past half 9 so it just seems a waste of money having to buy yet another dress that will only be worn for a few hours. I dont even have anything in my wardrobe as I've only recently lost my baby weight so I'm sort of starting again with a new wardrobe and dont go out hardly ever anymore so dresses arnt usually the first on my list to buy.

GemmeFatale Wed 13-Feb-19 06:36:30

I’d buy a summer dress you could wear more casually if you’re replacing clothes anyway.

It’s a lovely dress but people look raise an eyebrow at the colour choice.

exLtEveDallas Wed 13-Feb-19 06:42:03

I had 3 people in actual white at my wedding and it didn't bother me at all. My irritating aunt commented on the one and I just said "yes, she looks lovely, doesn't she?"

Everyone at the wedding knows who the bride is, they are hardly going to confuse you with her!

It's a lovely dress OP, my only comment is how brave you are to wear a pale colour with a 3 year old in tow - I don't think I wore anything but black and sludge brown for the first 5 years of DDs life!

BerensteinBear Wed 13-Feb-19 06:44:21

At my wedding one of my bfs wore a long ivory dress, she got there before me (registry office) and people there thought she was the bride lol.
I wasn't offended, tbh I didn't even notice what everyone was wearing.
It's a lovely dress op but check with the bride and as others have said maybe wear it with raspberry accessories to prevent any possible upset.

Hermano Wed 13-Feb-19 06:52:35

It's a fantastic dress, really interesting.

Wear it. There will always be people who find something to moan about, screw them. It's not bridal, and assuming you pair it with bright accessories no one sane could have their nose out of joint by your outfit. Maybe have a cardi / shawl which you arrive in to really emphasise the non bridal mess, and poss even a broach on it or a colourful belt to break it up further?

gettingtherequickly Wed 13-Feb-19 07:05:19

If this is the same dress on eBay then I think the top is dark enough to avoid people being worried about the colour. It's a lovely dress and I agree with PP, go raspberry with it and it will look stunning.
Congrats on losing the baby weight.

Hermano Wed 13-Feb-19 07:26:09

*non bridalness, not mess!

Sonicknuckles Wed 13-Feb-19 07:38:20

No sorry not white to a wedding

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in