Talk

Advanced search

Drinking age in the US?

(15 Posts)
Zabda Mon 11-Feb-19 23:13:13

My DD and her boyfriend are going away to New York soon. She is 22 and he is 20, and so he won't be able to drink!! Poor him. So no going out to bars or clubbing, but then again that might save them a lot of money. They've booked to stay in an airbnb, where they are hosted in a room and the hosts still live in the flat... It was a heck of a lot cheaper for them.

Would it be legal for them to drink a bottle of wine over dinner, bought by her as she is old enough? Can you drink in say a hotel room under 21 in the US, in your room, in private.

Tealfrog Mon 11-Feb-19 23:29:10

codes.findlaw.com/ny/alcoholic-beverage-control-law/abc-sect-65-c.html

It looks like he could if he was with you (parent consents overruled the fact he can't possess wirh intent) but not with his girlfriend. Would they not have more fun going when he is 21?

Rtmhwales Tue 12-Feb-19 01:30:37

No, it's illegal. But who would catch him in private? A restaurant will only serve one wineglass with the bottle if only one party is of age. And they will check.

Rtmhwales Tue 12-Feb-19 01:31:37

I'm American if that helps.

pallisers Tue 12-Feb-19 01:41:41

21 is the legal drinking age and that includes private homes too. But presumably they won't be eating with their hosts will they? The host family won't care if they have wine and she can buy what she wants as long as she has valid ID.

Restaurants will card both of them (ds is 22 and is always carded - even if clearly having dinner with his parents).

The kids all manage to drink despite all this though ...

FromEden Tue 12-Feb-19 01:57:03

They will check id. I still get asked to show mine and I'm 36! There are major consequences for the establishment if they are caught serving alcohol to minors so they don't risk it.

SeaToSki Tue 12-Feb-19 02:01:18

IF she is caught or suspected of supplying a minor, she may be arrested and if charged will be deported and probably banned from the US for life. Similar for him.

brookshelley Tue 12-Feb-19 02:11:51

They will be fine if she buys alcohol in a shop and they drink it at home, but most bars/clubs/restaurants will card if you look young, so he wouldn't be able to have a drink there. Or in some cases he wouldn't even be allowed to enter.

pallisers Tue 12-Feb-19 02:15:34

IF she is caught or suspected of supplying a minor, she may be arrested and if charged will be deported and probably banned from the US for life. Similar for him.

The reality is even in the US no one is going to arrest a 22 year old for sharing a bottle of wine with a 20 year old in the privacy of a home.

Also, if they do go to buy wine, he shouldn't go with her. If you look young, they will card every member of the party and (if responsible) will refuse to serve if there is someone under 21.

Myfoolishboatisleaning Tue 12-Feb-19 02:16:14

There are loads of places that don’t card, and loads that card at the door so he won’t even get in.

SeaToSki Tue 12-Feb-19 02:21:35

My friends 18 yr old DD was arrested and charged for just being at a party where there was under age drinking happening. She wasnt drinking and the judge acknowledged that. Im not saying it happens all the time, but it is a risk

pallisers Tue 12-Feb-19 02:34:32

My friends 18 yr old DD was arrested and charged for just being at a party where there was under age drinking happening. She wasnt drinking and the judge acknowledged that. Im not saying it happens all the time, but it is a risk

Yes it is a risk but honestly a 20 and 22 year old from UK having a glass of wine in an apartment would be treated very differently from an 18 year old high school or first year college student hanging out with 17, 18 and 19 year olds knocking back beers at a party (which was raided).

The drinking age thing here is weird. I wish they'd drop it to 18 but I do like the intolerant attitude to young-mid teen drinking. It does still happen but it isn't the cultural norm and you'd have to be mad in the head as a parent to faciliate it (you will be arrested if you give teens drink at a party).

wowfudge Tue 12-Feb-19 07:59:57

Wine with meals tends to be expensive in the US. Beer is much cheaper and available at lots of convenience stores when wine isn't. I'm not sure what the licensing laws are in NYC, but my experience of several trips to the US is that you can't buy booze everywhere like you can here in the UK and wine is often only sold in 'liquor stores'.

Zabda Tue 12-Feb-19 15:24:56

Thanks for the infosmile

GemmeFatale Tue 12-Feb-19 15:30:26

NYC you can buy beer and wine in grocery stores and pharmacies (drug stores). Wine is more expensive than here. Beer, it depends what you drink.

Mostly no one will care if they drink a bottle she purchased in the privacy of their room, but there is always the risk the Airbnb hosts will be in the tiny percentage who do care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »