Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever gone into rented because they can't cope with home ownership?

(134 Posts)
UgliestGirl Mon 11-Feb-19 21:25:06

It has become clear to me that I am not able to cope with my house. I don't notice when things go wrong, I don't know who to call when I do notice things so I just leave them. I have not made use of any of the benefits of home ownership such as putting pictures up. I feel having regular inspections, while intrusive, would motivate me to keep my house tidier and in better order.

Has anybody done this? I am getting passersby coming to the door to point things out and I think maybe the time has come.

OrangeJuiceandLemon Mon 11-Feb-19 21:29:21

How long have you had it? Do you live alone?

I would never advise anyone to go into renter from home ownership (I did it) as it's insecure and terrible retirement planning.

UgliestGirl Mon 11-Feb-19 21:32:31

Ive had it several years. Always owned in the past. I'm on my own, yes. My fear is that somebody will be killed because I haven't maintained it. There were bits flying everywhere in the storm and I didn't even think to look until people came to the door to inform me.

Hiddenaspie1973 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:33:59

Seek help.
Don't go backwards. Keep your home.
If you rent, you'll never be free of the monthly payments even when you're old. Plus you're at the mercy of your landlord and could be forced to move as a frail, old poor person.

OrangeJuiceandLemon Mon 11-Feb-19 21:35:17

Yes agree with seeking help. Local handy Person?

Are you on Facebook? Lots of local tradespeople on there.

I imagine you're not the only person who hasn't noticed an external problem with their home.

AfterSchoolWorry Mon 11-Feb-19 21:38:28

Just wondering if there is anything at play here OP that would prevent you from noticing things?

It's just that you might be transferring one set of problems for another by giving up your home to move into rented?

Bestseller Mon 11-Feb-19 21:40:52

I wouldn't move into rented but am seriously considering downsizing a lot. It was my dream home once but now I hate the responsibility.

TBH I quite fancy one of those park homes

CaledonianSleeper Mon 11-Feb-19 21:42:55

I also would not advise moving to rented, but would you consider moving to a lower maintenance property? A new-build or a flat (preferably with share of freehold)?

slcol Mon 11-Feb-19 21:43:53

I would suggest a monthly handyman type service before selling up.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 11-Feb-19 21:45:35

I don't notice when things go wrong

Well then definitely don’t become a tenant! You will create a whole host of problems for your landlord and they will charge you for the damage for not reporting it as soon as possible.

But even without that, you’d be mad to give up home ownership for private renting. Get yourself onto a DIY/home maintenance course and learn to spot problems as they arise and who to call.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Mon 11-Feb-19 21:45:41

What kind of things are getting on top of you OP? Do you have the money to fix if you could get a plan in place?

UgliestGirl Mon 11-Feb-19 21:46:34

I struggle with things like finding a handyman and knowing what to say.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 11-Feb-19 21:47:14

You could buy an apartment that uses a maintenance company and pay a service fee for it.

MrsAmaretto Mon 11-Feb-19 21:47:33

Bits shouldn’t fly off a house, I think you need a low/no maintenance modern flat where the communal areas are looked after by a company.

Whatdoyouknowwhenyouknownowt Mon 11-Feb-19 21:47:57

I have a tenant who is much safer being a tenant, as she wouldn't be able to withstand the financial shocks of repairs. But she manages all her own repairs, I just pay for them. I leave her alone, so rely on her noticing works.

However, I think your solution would be a managed property, eg a flat as it's not the ownership, it's the upkeep that's the issue.

UgliestGirl Mon 11-Feb-19 21:48:08

I have downsized. I am in a modern property chosen for being low maintenance.

supadupapupascupa Mon 11-Feb-19 21:49:03

how about another alternative, to sell the house you have but move into a maintained building perhaps? That way you will only have to worry about the interior.

UgliestGirl Mon 11-Feb-19 21:51:28

I rented many years ago after university and I knew I had to keep on top of things and kept it immaculate.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Mon 11-Feb-19 21:52:19

What kind of things are getting on top of you OP? Do you have the money to fix if you could get a plan in place?

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 11-Feb-19 21:57:35

If you were able to do it in rented accommodation then you’re able to do it now. You haven’t lost the ability, you’ve lost the desire.

ChariotsofFish Mon 11-Feb-19 21:59:56

A landlord would expect you to notice things flying off the roof in a storm and report them. It’s not a solution to this problem.

Wintermonster Mon 11-Feb-19 22:01:13

How about moving house to a new build with a 10 year warranty?

Maybe less of a risk?

Bakingberry Mon 11-Feb-19 22:01:44

OP, if you don't mind me asking. How old are you? Do you have any friends or family that visit you regularly? Is there anything else going on in your life that's making home ownership hard for you at the moment? It would be a shame to sell up and rent if you've worked hard to buy your own place.

Hubblebubbletripletrouble Mon 11-Feb-19 22:04:19

Honestly living in rented is also stressful, I wouldn’t choose it.

What kind of things are wrong with your current property? Do you have the money to get work done?

Sorry another question, and sorry if it’s too intrusive - do you have any difficulties with your mental health? I ask because when I’m feeling especially low everything gets left behind and I can’t be bothered to sort anything on the house for ages... just a thought and wonder if it could be related

UgliestGirl Mon 11-Feb-19 22:04:39

I have the money to fix it. Neither of the toilets are working. I have to flush them using water from the outside tap. No inside tap water. Cooker not working. Roof tiles off. The bins got smashed in the storm and I have ordered new ones but don't know what to do with the old ones. Ive been trying to smash them up more so that I can put them in the new bins. I can't contain the bits. There are shards of bin everywhere.

I did get a plumber to fix one of the toilets but it broke again within a fortnight and I can't manage to call again.

I think there is a leak as the floor is sinking.

One of my windows blew open when I was trying to air the place and I can't reach it to pull it closed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »