Talk

Advanced search

If your child threw up on the carpet in the middle of the night...

(140 Posts)
TheBrilloPad Mon 11-Feb-19 16:01:48

Do you;

a) throw a towel over the pile of sick and deal with it at a reasonable hour

Or

B) get cleaning equipment up and clean up sick there and then?

For honesty's sake - I did A. 4yr old DD threw up in her bed at 2am last night, got out of bed to get me and threw up on the carpet, and then threw up again on the hallway carpet. I changed her bedding and put her back to bed, and put towels over the two vomit piles in her bedroom and the hallway, to deal with in the morning. She shares a bedroom with her 3yr old brother who was asleep and cleaning it all up at 2am, therefore keeping them awake longer, seemed like an insane idea.

We all woke at 8am, I text ExH to keep him in the loop that DD was unwell and I took them downstairs. Gave 3yr old breakfast, and fed 4month old baby. Had to do three loads of washing (she was sick again on the new fresh bedding at 4am too), and then ExH turned up at 10am with a load of toys from the toy shop (Disney dad), as I was coming downstairs with the carpet cleaner and bucket of zoflora etc etc. I answered the door and said "sorry - was just cleaning all the sick off the carpets", and he said "oh, has she just been sick again then ?" And I said "no, from last night". And he was DISGUSTED that I left the vomit there overnight. (From a man who has never cleaned/cooked/used a washing machine in his life hmm).

So my instinct was that he's just being a dick. I'm a single parent of 3 kids under 5, none of who slept well last night, I dealt with it as best I could. But now I'm doubting myself - would you/should I have cleaned it up there and then? FWIW it took me over 30mins this morning to do, that seems insane to do at 2am!

DonPablo Mon 11-Feb-19 16:04:26

I'd have done it during the night, but I have a partner who would have done the bedding change while I did it, or the cleaning up while I did the bedding change.

So no judgement here!

MissBattleaxe Mon 11-Feb-19 16:05:15

You were right and he was judgemental and has probably never had to look after 3 kids overnight during vomit time.

I've done the same. Chuck a towel over it and do a big noisy clean when everyone's awake.

choosingchilli Mon 11-Feb-19 16:05:52

Honestly I would've cleaned it there and then because I couldn't bear to leave it to soak in overnight and face the smell in the morning.

I wouldn't judge you for leaving it though- exdh sounds like an arse thanks

Jellyfloodagain Mon 11-Feb-19 16:05:58

I would have cleaned it up too I think.

Undies1990 Mon 11-Feb-19 16:05:57

Uuurgh, the smell must have been overwhelming if you left it from 2am to 9am confused
I would have cleaned the carpets at 2am without a moments thought

Hope your DD is feeling better today

notjustsomeonesmum Mon 11-Feb-19 16:06:03

You did what you could and coped with the situation. I probably would have done it immediately but my situation is totally different to yours, only one child and a supportive OH. I also would have been concerned that it was going to stain but as it obviously cleared up fine I would say you dealt with the situation admirably. I hope you can stop cleaning sick soon, it’s never fun.

RogueV Mon 11-Feb-19 16:07:25

Would have cleaned it there and then.

Lllot5 Mon 11-Feb-19 16:07:36

I probably would have cleaned it there and then to be honest. But I’d tell ex to bugger off if he complained that I didn’t.

Beamur Mon 11-Feb-19 16:07:41

I would have left it too if it would have disturbed the kids from sleeping. But I'd probably have got some kitchen roll and picked up the worst of it first and then covered it over.

Floralnomad Mon 11-Feb-19 16:07:42

I’d have done it in the night , I can’t imagine going back to bed knowing there were piles of vomit on the carpet , I have been known to dump soiled bedding in the bath to deal with in the morning though .

piefacedClique Mon 11-Feb-19 16:08:20

I would have done the same as you..... now you’ve cleaned it up sprinkle a lid of bicarbonate on it and it won’t smell.

Bubblysqueak Mon 11-Feb-19 16:09:22

I would have done A but DH would have done By. He is much better at functioning in the middle of the night than I am, so I would have dealt with it in the morning whereas I know he would have cleaned it completely before going back to bed.

justasking111 Mon 11-Feb-19 16:11:03

It can bleach out carpet which is why I always clear up and rinse well at the time. The smell aint great either. I have to breathe through my mouth or I would be adding to it.

DrMidgeryMargery Mon 11-Feb-19 16:12:09

I’d have done the same as you. Keeping the sleeping child asleep and getting the sick child back to sleep as soon as possible would have been my priority to avoid overtired, stroppy children the next day. I am a slattern though.

Letthemysterybe Mon 11-Feb-19 16:12:46

He’s being a dick. I wouldn’t have left it, but only because if I had a child being sick in the night, my husband would be awake and helping. You are a single parent to 3 small children, getting them and yourself all dressed in the morning is a win!

steppemum Mon 11-Feb-19 16:13:48

I would have done it in the night, due to the smell, but honestly, I would not judge you for chosing to do it in the morning.

And your ex can is totally out of order commenting. The only comment when a parent is coping with vomiting kids is - Are you Ok, can I help?

Fattymcfaterson Mon 11-Feb-19 16:14:12

MN is not the place to ask a question like this 😂
I'm assuming here plastic wrap the house dexter style then sprinkle zoflora around so this doesn't happen 😉

Most normal people would done as you did OP. Your ex is a dick

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 11-Feb-19 16:14:19

I keep a dustpan & a scraper in the bathroom cupboard for middle of the night sickness. So for me yes I would scoop up what I could, spray, quick scrub, then put a towel over the top. I'd leave the actual full scrubbing & cleaning until morning. My priorities are the child & making their bed clean & fresh again & trying to get rid of any smell quickly.

I don't think you're awful for not doing it though. You did what worked for you at the time.

caffeinebuzz Mon 11-Feb-19 16:14:39

I'd have done an initial clean at 2am, so it wasn't soaking into the carpet overnight. Then a more thorough clean to deal with an stains first thing.

Oddsocksandmeatballs Mon 11-Feb-19 16:15:39

B. I would've cleaned it up overnight and put down some bicarb to deal with any lingering smells to vacuum up in the morning.

CommunistLegoBloc Mon 11-Feb-19 16:15:53

I’d have cleaned it up but that would be my choice and preference. Your choice and preference is equally valid, and frankly you’re the only one having to deal with the consequences! Therefore he’s an absolute arse.

Upsy1981 Mon 11-Feb-19 16:16:29

I would have got my DH to do it but I don't do sick. Obviously you didn't have that option but really if he'd arrived at my house, I'd have handed him the rubber gloves and zoflora and got him to do it so you are winning in my opinion.

Stylinit Mon 11-Feb-19 16:17:06

I would have cleaned it up in the night but mainly because the cat would have probably eaten it / someone would have stepped in it otherwise.

Your ex wasn’t there, not his place to judge.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 11-Feb-19 16:17:52

My priorities are the child & making their bed clean & fresh again & trying to get rid of any smell quickly. I've just re-read that sentence & realised how it could come across, I mean they're my priorities over fully cleaning the carpet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: