Talk

Advanced search

What do you call the room you sit in?

(191 Posts)
Banksy13 Sun 10-Feb-19 14:50:58

So is it a sitting room, a lounge, a family room, a TV room, a front room, a drawing room?! I'm not from the UK originally and I guess this may be class related. My husband calls it the lounge so we go with that, my family back home call it a sitting room however.

LaBelleSausage Sun 10-Feb-19 20:49:27

@Bubastes grin

I think that’s exactly how a morning room should be used! As ours is full of chewed wax crayons and with enough wooden bricks to build the Great Wall of China scattered artfully over the floor I feel it would be a bit pretentious. Does get lovely morning sun though!

Jsmith99 Sun 10-Feb-19 20:52:35

Front room.

In my grandparents’ house, the siting room was kept ‘for best’. It had the nicest furniture and carpets but it was never used, not even on Christmas Day. The only time I ever remember seeing them use it was when the priest came to visit.

Giggorata Mon 11-Feb-19 00:07:28

Study and sitting room. Oh, and the dirty dog room...

3catsandcounting Mon 11-Feb-19 09:55:22

We have big lounge, little lounge and snug.
My grandparents and aunties and uncles were all verrry posh and always used 'lounge'. Living room and sitting room sound wrong to me; I mostly live and sit in my kitchen.

SusieQ5604 Mon 01-Apr-19 03:36:13

Living room

CaitlinsYellowSocks Mon 01-Apr-19 04:57:58

I was about to say "sitting room" because I instinctively know it's "correct", but I think we actually describe ours as a living room. That's what my family usually called it when I was growing up, though I think my parents also used "front room" and "back room" sometimes.

ILs are grander and have a drawing room (large, formal, only really used for parties), a study (small and semi-formal, not actually a study, more a grown-up sitting room) and a nursery (a family room with a TV - I think it used to be the playroom when the children were little).

shiveringtimber Mon 01-Apr-19 05:24:57

Living room.

Hotterthanahotthing Mon 01-Apr-19 05:36:30

Sitting room here.
Front rooms were the room you used for guests,always kept clean,tidy and child free.My grandparents even had baize to protect the table and antimacassars on the chairs.

sashh Mon 01-Apr-19 06:00:54

ImportantWater

My carer calls it the front room but at my place it is at the back.

I'm OK with sitting room or lounge. One house we lived in when I was a child had two down stairs rooms so one was the front room, the other was the dining room, lounge or sitting room until my parents had an extension built so we now had three rooms, the new room was at the front and became the dining room.

To me a 'front room' is not one you use every day, it has the best furniture in it but is only used for important visitors.

If I win the lottery I've always said I'm having a house with a library, now it will have a morning room too, and I shall employ a housekeeper called 'Mrs Danvers', even if the housekeeper is a man, I shall pay them extra to use 'Mrs Danvers'

Theoldwoman Mon 01-Apr-19 06:02:04

We sit in the lounge to watch telly/chat with friends/family. We eat in the dining room.

RiddleyW Mon 01-Apr-19 06:13:52

My grandparents and aunties and uncles were all verrry posh and always used 'lounge

Are they English?

RiddleyW Mon 01-Apr-19 06:16:12

Growing up we had a morning room and a sitting room.

We’ve just got living room so I suppose I’m coming down in the world!

Rockbird Mon 01-Apr-19 07:12:11

Front room or living room interchangeably. When I was a kid we added in 'other room' but I don't really use that any more. Not often anyway.

devilchild Mon 01-Apr-19 17:43:24

Either living room or front room. That's what we were brought up to use

FinallyFluid Mon 01-Apr-19 17:50:44

Garden Room

PlatypusLeague Fri 26-Apr-19 08:18:32

Sitting room

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »