Talk

Advanced search

Songs that make you cry and why.

(142 Posts)
teachergirl2011 Sun 10-Feb-19 11:21:47

What song makes you cry?
Mine is Ray Charles "If I could" I lost my Dad in 2016 and it makes me think of him.

Chocolateandabook2019 Sun 10-Feb-19 11:38:19

These are the days of our lives by Queen.
Especially the end bit where Freddie whispers “I love you”.
So. Final.

OddestSock Sun 10-Feb-19 11:48:10

Everybody hurts by REM.
just before I was 18 I played this song and took a huge overdose (cliche, I know), but whenever I hear it, I'm transported back to that time.

lettymoo Sun 10-Feb-19 11:49:15

Goodbye my lover by James Blunt - I've heard it at too many funerals so it sets me off

Sarahlou63 Sun 10-Feb-19 11:50:10

Cry for Help by Rick Astley.

dustarr73 Sun 10-Feb-19 12:23:10

Wind beneath my wings Bette Midler.Played at my mams funeral in 2000.Only part of the church i remember.

Doje Sun 10-Feb-19 12:25:22

Songbird by Fleetwood Mac. I don't really know why, I'm not good with lyrics and haven't a clue what it's about, but it's just a beautiful song and it makes me well up every time.

Fuktifano Sun 10-Feb-19 13:19:51

The scientist by Coldplay. I was a young mother with a difficult baby and little partner support and couldn't work out why I was so unhappy. She's 17 and wonderful now and he's long gone....life is so much happier.

Ilovecrumpets Sun 10-Feb-19 13:43:36

Lullabye by Billy Joel. Not sadness tears but more because it encompasses how I feel about my DC and being there for them, even when I’m not there physically. Particularly the last lines ‘ one day we’ll all be gone, but lullabies go on and on. They never die, that’s how you and I will be.’. Makes me feel emotional typing it!

Clawdy Sun 10-Feb-19 13:43:49

Time To Say Goodbye. I remember sitting in a sunlit Italian square on holiday with my lovely sister-in-law listening to it, both of us knowing her time was running out.Years later it still hurts to hear it.

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Sun 10-Feb-19 14:04:15

Home Thoughts - Clifford T Ward

My Dad always used to cry at Tell Laura I Love Her and now he's dead, I cry at it in the memory of him crying. Ridiculous!

halfmoonbay Sun 10-Feb-19 14:08:36

Stay With Me - Sam Smith. The first song I heard after having my dog put to sleep, it still gets me every time I hear it 😢

MsSquiz Sun 10-Feb-19 14:16:49

Somewhere over the rainbow - the song played at my DM's funeral (it's from her favourite film and I haven't been able to watch it since)

Supermarket Flowers - Ed Sheeran
I downloaded the album during my DM's terminal illness and would play it while I was in the shower, and break my heart to every time. No one knew I did that every morning for the 6 months of her illness

EastMidsGPs Sun 10-Feb-19 14:21:10

Nothing Compares To You ...opening bars have me welling up and I have to either turn the radio off or walk away.

Happily married and love DH totally and utterly but this song reminds when my heart was broken seemingly at the time, beyond repair.

origamiunicorn Sun 10-Feb-19 14:23:05

Wires - Athlete (my niece was born 3 months premature and this song just reminds me of that time when it was touch and go.) The line "first night of your life curled up on your own" just gets me, every time. sad

whatsnewchoochoo Sun 10-Feb-19 14:23:52

@OddestSock .. I just wanted to .. I don't know, hug 18 year old you? I hope life is better now thanks

areyoubeingserviced Sun 10-Feb-19 14:25:18

Tears in Heaven- Eric Clapton
In the Ghetto- the legend that is Dolly Parton
Dance with my Father-Luther Vandross

Northernmum100 Sun 10-Feb-19 14:26:23

Dance with my father by Luther Vandross. I miss my dad.

A thousand years byChristina Perri . A close friend had this sung at her much longed for baby's naming ceremony and it was so powerful.

areyoubeingserviced Sun 10-Feb-19 14:28:40

Tears in Heaven and Dance with my Father always reminds me of lost loved ones
In the Ghetto just makes me sympathise with those who are born into poverty and despair. It reminds me that the cycle continues

Petalflowers Sun 10-Feb-19 14:32:27

Sorry, love Daddy, by Brian McFadden.

Knowivedonewrong Sun 10-Feb-19 14:38:52

Jesus to a child by George Michael.

GreenPillow Sun 10-Feb-19 14:40:25

Wires - athlete
From when my DS was in SCBU

seastargirl Sun 10-Feb-19 14:44:48

Another one with wires by athlete and also iris by the goo goo dolls, both in relation to a nicu stay.

dotty12345 Sun 10-Feb-19 14:54:00

Both sides now Joni Mitchell, gets me.

OddestSock Sun 10-Feb-19 14:57:06

@whatsnewchoochoo - thank you, life is MUCH better now, I still suffer depression and have low points, but I have a lovely husband and 2 wonderful children and I'm glad I got here smile xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »