Talk

Advanced search

Wanted Down Under

(146 Posts)
jollyjester Sat 02-Feb-19 12:44:27

I'm stuck on the sofa under a sick child so binge watching Wanted Down Under.

Current couple have a budget of £950k for a house. His salary was going to stay about the same as was hers.

How do they know how much they can spend on a house when they don't have jobs in Australia, still have a house in the UK etc.

Am I just naive as to how much people have in savings etc?

The last couple had a budget of £350k and uk salaries of £30k ish each and their own house was valued at £50k less than they thought.

zebakrheum Sat 02-Feb-19 12:52:14

I've always wondered why people decide to go on the programme. Maybe it's for a free trip out there, who knows?
Always enjoy the film they get shown of all the loving family they've left behind, all weeping and wailing about how much they will be missed grin

ewenice Sat 02-Feb-19 12:57:14

I watched one this morning where one of them had relatives there already and so were able to meet up with a set of parents. Their house was valued a lot less than they anticipated, but still want to go. It's all very odd when they talk about 'more time to spend with the family' = they still have to work and commute etc.

QuestionableMouse Sat 02-Feb-19 12:58:51

It gives me the rage. Normally one selfish bastard who wants to uproot the whole family.

DaffydownClock Sat 02-Feb-19 13:01:55

The weeping and wailing people left behind really irritate me, surely it's not a surprise to them that they want to emigrate? One grandmother was using emotional blackmail big time! -- nearly kicked the television she was so OTT--

jollyjester Sat 02-Feb-19 13:05:46

I fast forward through the emotional blackmail and "fun day out" segments!

rallytog1 Sat 02-Feb-19 13:20:12

I always remember one family on there who lived in the Lake District and said the attraction of Australia was the 'outdoor lifestyle'. If you're not outdoorsy in somewhere like Cumbria, you're not going to magically undergo a personality transplant the minute you step off the plane.

DareDevil223 Sat 02-Feb-19 13:20:59

I find it really irritating but I still watch it if I'm working from home.
It's usually one obsessed person who wants to go despite knowing nothing about the place and has basically badgered their unfortunate other half into going.

They always love an outdoors lifestyle and have sporty kids. Does EVERYONE have sporty kids? My son was resolutely unsporty smile

They all all talk about spending more time with the family but forget that they'll still need to work to fund this marvellous new lifestyle.

They all go on about the fun family day outs as if we don't have sport/zoos/beaches/restaurants in the bloody UK that they could go to.

Apologies for the rant!

explodingkitten Sat 02-Feb-19 13:27:01

We looked into emigrating to Australia and although I like this program (I love looking at houses!) I think that it isn't a good interpretation. For one I think that the job estimates are overrated. They tend to say that ooooh you just need a course and you'll get this pay. But it's almost impossible to do a course when you've just spent your savings emigrating and you need an income. Also, Aussie experience is highly rated if you're looking for jobs. It might take a while to get taken seriously.

Plus I don't get the shopping lists. We tend to buy and eat the stuff that is affordable. If for example tomatoes are cheap here and expensive over there, surely you'll just eat something else?

Biscusting Sat 02-Feb-19 13:28:38

I love for ones where one person is dying to go and the family absolutely hate the idea but support this whimsical notion.
They tally up how much it’s all going to be with their fantasy house and jobs, they’ll be left with -$198,383,038 per month grin
Queue the sad face of enthusiastic family member with his wee floppy laminated Aussie flag card at the end of the show.

I’m evil though

jollyjester Sat 02-Feb-19 13:36:28

We've got family over there and while yes they earn more than in the uk, their expenses are horrendous in comparison to the uk. They work really long hours as well.

Australia is also so far away from everywhere. Every time we visit after about 2 weeks I miss old buildings! blush

When they visit the uk they take the opportunity to visit other European countries as its very accessible

Girlundercover Sat 02-Feb-19 13:40:05

I always laugh when they look at the houses. One of them doesn’t like the sofa =I’m not moving to Australia!!!

DareDevil223 Sat 02-Feb-19 13:52:47

@Girlundercover

A bloke the other day didn't like a house because there wasn't a tv in the living room! Buy your own you bloody muppet...

AndAHappyNewYear Sat 02-Feb-19 13:57:33

They're always thrilled that the job search leads them to a company that offers an amazing work/life balance for mega money like any manager is going to go on TV and reel off all the things that're wrong with their employer.

Starlight90 Sat 02-Feb-19 14:00:30

I think its for the trip. My neighbour went on it with his wife and 2 kids. All for going over, then she fucks off with another bloke. They should have gone, who knows thing could be different!

tadpole39 Sat 02-Feb-19 14:03:23

No point now, with climate change Australia will be unliveable soon and they’ll all be trying to come back! Temperatures of 40+ degrees? No thank you

sonjadog Sat 02-Feb-19 14:14:13

I hate the emotional blackmail bit from the family back home. All the "we miss you soooo much". They've only been gone about 4 days.

It'd have the opposite affect on me. It´d send me running for the visa office.

Gottalovesummer Sat 02-Feb-19 14:23:40

Ooh I love this programme! Always watch/catch up on my day off!

Wish they did follow ups tho, I've just watched the family from Salford. Mum was desperate to move, although she'd never even been to Australia! Dad was set against it but voted for it in the end! Hooray!

But I need to know if they actually wentgrin

Gottalovesummer Sat 02-Feb-19 14:25:59

It was the Tomkins family

jollyjester Sat 02-Feb-19 14:31:31

Tompkins update here

jollyjester Sat 02-Feb-19 14:33:09

DH has just announced if we went on the show apart from MIL he doesn't actually think any of his friends would give a shit if he moved! grin

EdWinchester Sat 02-Feb-19 14:33:49

The mawkish videos of the family that they saw about 48 hours previously drive me nuts - especially when the kids get upset. It seems cruel and pointless.

And the twirling of the fucking laminates. Whose stupid idea was that?

Gottalovesummer Sat 02-Feb-19 14:34:10

Ooh thanks jollyjester

They actually went! How fab!

Racecardriver Sat 02-Feb-19 14:38:45

@rallytog the cities were mostly built during the Victorian era so there is a huge emphasis on practical and pleasant outdoor spaces. We’re always far more active in Australia than in Britain. It’s a combination of better weather and it just being much more pleasant to go out without the car (better pavement with more shade, inner city areas are very walkable, big cafe culture, lots of green spaces with athletic equipment etc.) You walk out your door and get to go for a reasonably pleasant walk. Here we either have to wander around town (not pleasant in warm weather for lack of trees and generally a bit glum) orgetting in the car and driving somewhere pleasant first.

reallyanotherone Sat 02-Feb-19 14:39:16

It’s just fantasy isn’t it.

You get there, you work, come home, watch tv, go to bed. Take the kids to ballet/brownies/football. Spare time is food shopping, shoe shopping.

Exactly the same as in the uk. Weather is hotter, but you find yourself staying indoors anyway for the air conditioning and because you cba with 4 layers of suncream.

iklboo Sat 02-Feb-19 14:41:23

My favourite was the one where the husband wanted to go because he liked Crocodile Dundee as a kid.

Gottalovesummer Sat 02-Feb-19 14:47:37

Ah but all the bits you're listing as annoying are what makes the show so great!

It's totally ridiculous to move your family to the other side of the world based on a week's visit.

But I am strangely addicted!

FlyingMonkeys Sat 02-Feb-19 14:48:25

I always like how they're expecting some kind of mansion for their £250k..... Then they get shown the shed without a pool that they can just about afford. Faces are sooo confused! Clearly they didn't even bother to do a quick Google first. 🙄

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles Sat 02-Feb-19 14:50:11

Yay a Wanted Down Under (affectionately known as "Well Just Fuck Off Then" in our house) thread!

The Crocodile Dundee thing was hilarious, I agree grin

I particularly like it it when they shake their heads and declare houses too small when they're miles bigger than their own fucking U.K. houses hmm

DH and I totally love it though. We have a competition where we guess the price of the Australian houses and whoever is closest "wins". We also guess whether they will vote U.K. or Aus too and even twirl pretend cards. (This is why I didn't post on the "what hobbies do you and your DH enjoy togetherblush)

megletthesecond Sat 02-Feb-19 14:56:18

grin webuilt.

WDU is the best sick day telly.

BlancheM Sat 02-Feb-19 14:57:20

There was one the other day where it was presented like one of the couple needed winning over, but when it got to the laminate card section, it was the kids who didn't want to go. The mum said 'yeah, we definitely need another talk about it' hmmm.

Iggity Sat 02-Feb-19 14:58:37

I watched this morning’s episode and my comment to my DH was that you need quite a bit of money to emigrate and live comfortably in Australia. I didn’t see the end of the show as switched to my 600lb life! Did they decide to go in the end?

jollyjester Sat 02-Feb-19 15:02:28

Anyone actually know how much the visa / application process costs?

IAmRubbishAtDIY Sat 02-Feb-19 15:35:18

All the families have updates on that link!

raeray Sat 02-Feb-19 18:23:01

I want to know about the family who were going to emigrate and leave young daughter from the dads first marriage behind!
I felt sad for her.

GandolfBold Sat 02-Feb-19 18:48:53

I love WDU.

I love how they sneer at properties that are larger than what they have at home.

A few years ago there was a couple and the husband really didn't want to go. At the end he chose the UK and the wife vowed to go without him. I always wonder if their marriage survived.

nancy75 Sat 02-Feb-19 18:55:02

Dp & I love this show! Dp is an Aussie & spends the whole time taking the piss.
Most people think they are going to get Buckingham palace size home for £3.75 , maybe 20 years ago when we had a string pound but not now!
The wages are better but food shopping over there is very expensive compared to here, the only thing that’s cheaper is petrol.

LadyCassandra Sat 02-Feb-19 19:05:10

Our visa cost about £3k nine years ago. Then it’s another £1000 for citizenship after 5 years.
I used to love this programme, pure entertainment. We took 4 years to get out here, lots of research, saving and planning. They come for 2 weeks on a whim and complain how expensive everything is!

GandolfBold Sat 02-Feb-19 19:11:41

I also love how exact the shopping lists are, like they have a military style list that they buy every week without fail.

nancy75 Sat 02-Feb-19 19:14:15

LadyCassandra they moan because people seem to have this weird idea that everything in Australia is cheap, they get a real shock when they see the prices! People forget that if goods are not made/grown in Aus they have travelled a very long way to be imported

winesolveseverything Sat 02-Feb-19 19:23:02

The part that makes me laugh the most is when they do lifestyle bit, and do something that you can do in the UK anyway....
Last week one family went to a farm park and fed goats or something...all the while exclaiming how wonderful it was.... Erm, you can do that here...?

nancy75 Sat 02-Feb-19 19:25:06

Yeah but they were Australian goats, they had an Aussie twang to their bleat grin

TheEndofIt Sat 02-Feb-19 19:27:37

It's my guilty pleasure too!

I especially love the Revisited update, where you find out what they did.

It's usually like watching a car crash in slow motion, with 1 partner usually hell-bent on going, despite the cost of property/living/working hours. The other partner is railroaded in to going.

nancy75 Sat 02-Feb-19 19:30:47

Yes the partner that wants to go - they work out they’ll be a thousand pound a week worse off & they go oooh that’s good & still pick Aus!

Pieceofpurplesky Sat 02-Feb-19 19:35:10

Three things about it really bug me.

Step off the plane 'it's a long way'. No shit sherlock.

Number two is 'oooo it's got a walk in wardrobe' surely they have watched the show and see the houses?

As above with 'I don't like a bedroom near the front door'.

Other than that o love it

jollyjester Sat 02-Feb-19 23:40:50

My SIL cant believe how cheap the uk is in comparison. She's Australian and visits every 3 years.

DH is currently frustrated with work and we're heading to Oz for a month soon and he's hell bent on looking at moving! I shall report back WDU style!! grin

Schmoobarb Sat 02-Feb-19 23:53:07

DareDevil nails it

It’s so annoying and attracts some truly vile people. I’ll never forget the poor bastard Brendan who was crying as his horrible wife and brainwashed daughters bullied him into going ☹️

JediJim Sat 02-Feb-19 23:58:13

I’ve never been to Oz but I can see the appeal. My mother lived there for a few years as a teenager, with her family obviously.
The UK is a failing country. It’s so divided with hatred, out political system is in turmoil, it doesn’t even know what to do with Brexit, kids are getting stabbed almost on a weekly basis, and we have nutters trying to blow our people up.
On top of that, our job market is dire, we have no industry left, and things look pretty bleak for us for the next decade. We don’t even know our own identity anymore.
If I could genuinely live in Canada or Oz I would certainly consider it.
Having said that, I know of a man who’s a prison officer here in the UK, he went to New Zealand, lasted 6 months and wanted to come home again.

RollerJed Sun 03-Feb-19 00:08:27

jollyjester having just moved to Aus I can confirm it is very expensive at first here. But the salaries are very high compared to the UK.

I have no Aus experience in my field but have picked up two great paying contracts so dh is currently not working until dc settle in.

The lifestyle for us is much better, we have a bigger home and more disposable income. But yes, we're a long way from.the UK 🙄

The problem with that show is people think they're going to sell their house in back-of-bumsfuck UK and move to Sydney. And of course the other partner who doesn't want to go but is being railroaded to go and think it's amazing.

SavoyCabbage Sun 03-Feb-19 00:08:43

When I lived in Australia we used to have parties to watch Wanted down Under and howl with laughter at it. It’s all such bollocks.

“Just two hours from the CBD.” is a catchphrase in our house now.

jollyjester Sun 03-Feb-19 00:08:53

@LadyCassandra are you originally from the UK? What made you want to go? Sorry if that seems terribly nosey, just genuinely interested.

BIL is now there as SIL is austrailian and an only child she didnt want to leave her parents alone

Linnet Sun 03-Feb-19 00:12:54

I tape this and watch it in the evening so I can skip through the sad face videos.

I’m always amazed by the food shopping. They sit there and say bacon/pork chops/chicken thighs are so expensive. I don’t understand this, don’t they have pigs and chickens in Australia? or are they having to import them from other countries which is why they’re so expensive? I know they aren’t really importing them but I don’t understand, can anyone enlighten me?

Usually at the end of the current series you get a catch up of people from the last series to see where they are now.

nancy75 Sun 03-Feb-19 00:17:52

Linnet the wages in Aus are higher, so to them the food isn’t expensive compared to wage. our exchange rate at the moment is rubbish so when you convert prices to pounds & then compare to uk things do cost more

Linnet Sun 03-Feb-19 00:35:09

Oh I see I wasn’t paying attention the fact that they convert it to pounds rather than show them the Australian food in dollars blush sorry.

nancy75 Sun 03-Feb-19 00:40:22

Yeah, you see them saying things like bacon is £3 at home & its £5 in Aus - they expect the higher wages but for all goods to be the price they are at home

Contraceptionismyfriend Sun 03-Feb-19 00:50:26

I love this show! But in a sick way of being really pissed off by the bitchy people on there.

Got really annoyed at the mother the other day.
She's wanted to move to Aus her whole life (but decided to settle down, marry and have two kids white a Brit) and was now getting desperate as her husband was almost 50. Which would mean dream over.

He clearly didn't want to go, the kids really didn't want to go. But she wouldn't STFU about how this would basically ruin her life.

Urgh I really want to see their update.

MidniteScribbler Sun 03-Feb-19 03:34:48

I love watching these shows.

I absolutely pissed myself laughing one night because the woman wanted to move because she didn't like the one hour commute to work. She desperately wanted to be near the beach so she could go 'after work'. The area they were looking in was three hours away from the closest beach (and a crap one at that). Have you looked at a map?

JediJim Sun 03-Feb-19 07:28:08

Midnite, that woman sounds ridiculous. She wants to move to Australia because she doesn’t like her one hour commute?! Can’t she get a new job? Or move somewhere else in the UK, near the coast? Considering we are surrounded by it!
It does seem that the only real way you can move to Oz/ New Zealand is if you have a highly skilled job or work for the public sector, such as NHS, Police service.

Elfinablender Sun 03-Feb-19 07:34:59

It's the ones where they have a crop of young children and grandparents who live down the road, popping round, doing school runs and sick days and I just want to scream at the telly that they're mad, they have no idea what they are giving up and how much that support costs when you have to buy it in.

Frazzled2207 Sun 03-Feb-19 08:43:37

What bugs me is that Nicki whatshername (isn't she famous from Pop Idol decades ago? What's the link between that and WDU?) clearly has no involvement whatsoever. You never actually see her with the families, just stood on some beach. Presumably she just went once (a year) to stand on a beach and do the little "links" .

LostInShoebiz Sun 03-Feb-19 09:05:46

What's the link between that and WDU?

The link is Nicki Chapman. She also presents the Chelsea Flower Show. She’s a presenter of not an expert in.

StarJumpsandaHalf Sun 03-Feb-19 09:14:38

Nicki Chapman does, or has done a lot of Escape to the Country programmes too.

Frazzled2207 Sun 03-Feb-19 09:16:19

Fair enough but she doesn't exactly "do" wdu does she. She just narrates and stands on a beach.

WWYDhelpplease Sun 03-Feb-19 09:25:09

Same shit, different place really. The heat does the same as winter here. You stay in with aircon on full blast.

Cost of living is really high.

I’d do it all again though. Gold Coast next time.

LostInShoebiz Sun 03-Feb-19 09:26:08

So? Does she have to get involved with the people to justify her existence to you? The BBC have chosen a particular format and it involves her not having much if any interaction which then, probably because they’d have to fly out multiple families at the same time and that would necessitate multiple crews or fly Nicki and a crew out for months on end. They are using your licence fee in the most efficient way. Stop going on about it.

RitaFairclough Sun 03-Feb-19 09:26:41

I also love Wanted Down Under; especially the twirly laminates.

I’m always amazed when one of the parents (normally a dad) turns out to have another child who they’d be leaving behind. Or when they have older kids who won’t be going.

My husband’s best friend lives in Oz (his wife is an Aussie) and when they were moving back they were using a lot of emigration forums to help with his visa. So many people didn’t grasp that it’s the same daily shit over there - work, commuting, homework - just without any family support.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 09:38:27

I can no longer watch. The 'Poor Brendan' episode finished me off.

NickyPopidol doesn't even go with the family like Nadia Sawalha used to.

Would you not have had your house valued prior to the free holiday trip? Would you not Google how much things cost and look at properties online?

Good for playing Bingo though. 'Quality family time'/'outdoor lifestyle' etc.

Frazzled2207 Sun 03-Feb-19 09:39:05

@LostInShoebiz I just find it highly irritating that's all!

ewenice Sun 03-Feb-19 10:07:43

What I don't understand is how they can go over and get a job as a hairdresser or paralegal as an immigrant. I thought Oz had a policy of giving jobs to Australian citizens as a priority and only certain professions are valid for visa offers. Maybe it's changed?

jay55 Sun 03-Feb-19 10:13:36

The desired skills list or whatever it is called always has a few jobs on it that make you scratch your head.
I remember one time recruitment consultants were highish points which I found baffling.

Schmoobarb Sun 03-Feb-19 10:28:27

I’m always amazed when one of the parents (normally a dad) turns out to have another child who they’d be leaving behind. Or when they have older kids who won’t be going.

I remember an episode years ago when the mum had a teenage son who didn’t want to go as he had his dad and other half-siblings here. The mum was awful to him telling him he was being cruel and would make everyone miserable. He was about 14 ffs, poor boy! I remember in the catch up bit at the end they hadn’t gone, the boy’s dad had actually got a court order preventing them taking him. So he must have been quite worried they were going to go ahead and do it anyway either without his consent or against the boy’s wishes.

nancy75 Sun 03-Feb-19 12:26:37

The skills shortage lists have all sorts, often midwives, builders & bizarrely Ive seen hairdressers!
I think some of them state you can come but you have to live in a particular place - so you could dream of Melbourne & end up in Cairns!

LucilleBluth Sun 03-Feb-19 12:44:14

Having lived abroad for six years with small children it is extended family and support that you do miss...and the poster who said same shit different country is absolutely spot on.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 Sun 03-Feb-19 13:03:31

Must admit as an Aussie I do have a chuckle at this show! We're moving (British DH plus dual cit DTDs) later this year, and I can't wait! However we have a house already to live in and I know how much everything costs.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 14:10:59

The show makes out there is no outdoors in the UK. It has no beaches or zoos and you can't do any outdoor activities at all.
No family time in the UK, no BBQs, no nothing really.

But go to Australia and you can live outside! hmm

TabithaBraithwaite Sun 03-Feb-19 14:20:09

I always think they should factor in the airfair to fly the whole family back every 2 or 3 years. That would certainly cost a bit.
You might get sunshine but having no family or friends is really tough, especially if you have children.

nancy75 Sun 03-Feb-19 15:53:36

Sparklingbrook to be fair, Australia does beat us hands down when it comes to beaches! My in-laws live on an island on the Sunshine Coast, when we go we have about 5 miles of amazing beach all to ourself (mainly because we go in autumn or spring & all the Australians are too cold to go on the beach - we wear our cossies while mil wears a jumper!)

ChesterGreySideboard Sun 03-Feb-19 17:16:45

I'm now watching on iPlayer because of you lot. It's the one where its raining all the time and the woman is approaching the age where she would be refused a visa.

The house they have put them up in is Kath and Kim's house, I'm sure of it.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 17:24:42

I love the ones where the weather is awful. 😂

Mari50 Sun 03-Feb-19 17:29:59

I like WDU, it is a lot of nonsense but I’ve always wanted to emigrate and OH is totally uninterested so i’m the opposite version. I’ve taken him many times but just can’t sell the country to him at all. It’s actually quite a difficult thing to reconcile yourself to.
The lack of research that some people do is quite entertaining though, even more surprising are those people who’ve never been to Australia but are determined that it’s the place for them.

iklboo Sun 03-Feb-19 17:52:18

I used to work with someone who emigrated to New Zealand because her husband wanted to. About 6 months down the line she'd left him for someone she'd met there. He came home, she stayed and remarried.

RollerJed Sun 03-Feb-19 19:59:59

@Sparklingbrook it was 41 degrees here yesterday, awful enough for you? grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 20:02:38

For me personally that's really awful Roller I hate the heat. sad grin

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Sun 03-Feb-19 20:02:40

41 would be truly awful to me!

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 20:03:08

It would make me feel ill.

Contraceptionismyfriend Sun 03-Feb-19 20:31:39

@ChesterGreySideboard what's their surname??? Im trying to find their after story because she pissed me off so much!

RollerJed Sun 03-Feb-19 20:42:55

It was awful! I love the heat, but I'm over the extreme now and it's only just Feb.

However last March in London I had no heat as the outside boiler pipes had frozen so I had to get up a ladder with a kettle of boiling water.

Both scenarios suck!

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 20:59:44

Last summer in the UK was too hot for me. blush

Focalpoint Sun 03-Feb-19 21:26:48

My favorite bit is when they look at the dining table and talk about what a great place to entertain friends......err what friends ... you don't know anyone!?

They talk about the people they'd miss from home but no one ever considers the challenge of building a new network of friends when you move to a new place in middle age when you know nobody.

jollyjester Sun 03-Feb-19 21:29:48

No one seems to factor in the costs of trips back to the uk either. That cant be cheap.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 21:29:58

I always look at their parents, some elderly and some not fit enough to do the long flight and my heart goes out to them. Their DC and DGC are about to disappear.

The people always seem to have masses of family and friends at home and seem quite happy to just leave them behind and replace them with some new friends.

jollyjester Sun 03-Feb-19 21:34:57

Totally agree sparkling. My in laws can no longer make the journey to australia to see their other DGC and its hard to know that every time they visit the uk it could be the last.

DH and I are a bit worried about going away for a month in case something happens one of the ILs while we are gone.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Feb-19 21:37:57

I just don't know how you can make that choice. You only get one family.

nancy75 Sun 03-Feb-19 21:42:00

The family in uk & Australia is so hard. I’m close to my family & was always clear with Dp that if we had kids I wouldn’t live in Australia because I would want to be near my family - that does mean that his family miss out, they are getting older and the journey is hard for them, it’s also difficult for us going o EE there because of school/jobs and money. At least for my Dd she has never known any different - those grandparents have always been far away. I can’t imahine taking a child away from gps they ha e grown up with

Onandonandons Sun 03-Feb-19 21:43:46

I watched an episode recently where their eldest who was about 18 or so didn't want to go, so they were planning to leave her behind!

jollyjester Sun 03-Feb-19 21:46:03

My BIL went to Australia in his 20s and met and married an Australian girl before they had DC. As a couple and a family they have never lived in the UK so ILs seem more accepting that one set of DGC are on the other side of the world.

While I'm not close to ILs I still dont think I could move and take DC away.

Schmoobarb Sun 03-Feb-19 21:47:10

I just can’t imagine putting nice weather over my family which is what it comes down to in most cases when they wang on about quality of life.

I find the ones where they moan about their hours of work and having no work life balance here but because the cost of living is more in Oz they’ll have to work more hours anyway confused

jollyjester Sun 03-Feb-19 21:47:26

No one mentioned spiders!!

I've never seen any while we've visited but DH saw a huntsman once on the side of the house we were staying in. shock

That wouldn't be good for my blood pressure!

nancy75 Sun 03-Feb-19 21:50:10

jollyjester last time we went there was a bloody great big snake in the back garden, I was ready to pack my bags and come home!

nancy75 Sun 03-Feb-19 21:51:29

On the plus side, having an Ozzie living in your house is handy, if we have a spider in the house do just picks them up without batting an eyelid ( while I stand on the sofa screaming grin )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »