Talk

Advanced search

Restaurant help from Londoners please!!

(36 Posts)
Blobby10 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:03:06

Hoping that some wise Mumsnetters can help me out with some suggestions for places to go for my son's 21st. He's at uni in London so knows the area but we wanted to go somewhere naice for his 21st. Saturday evening so we know we have to book and were thinking of the Shard or Oxo Tower but is there anywhere else just as nice that we are missing? Happy to eat early (then he can go and party with his friends grin) but nothing horrendously expensive as we just wouldn't appreciate it enough.

HesterLee Thu 24-Jan-19 10:04:36

I think the shard is pretty expensive.

MrsHemmingway Thu 24-Jan-19 10:07:44

What’s your budget? Can recommend based on that.

Dishoom might be worth a shout but you can’t book. Gymkhana is fab and has a Michelin star but is obviously going to be at the pricey end.

HalfBloodPrincess Thu 24-Jan-19 10:07:53

My fave is Gaucho in Canary Wharf. There’s also a Japanese restaurant but can’t thinknof what it’s called.

BIWI Thu 24-Jan-19 10:09:25

What's your budget, and where is he based/where abouts do you want to go in London - it's a pretty big place with lots to choose from!

Disfordarkchocolate Thu 24-Jan-19 10:10:49

I had a wonderful family meal at Sardine. Not far from Old Street.

Svalberg Thu 24-Jan-19 10:11:28

I'd recommend Galvin at Windows if you want a view (looks across London & into Buckingham Palace gardens) or Cafe Murano (Covent Garden or St James). I've heard nothing good about the Shard...

Autumnnymph Thu 24-Jan-19 10:12:08

What’s your budget OP? I second the recommendation for Dishoom and Gymkhana. Can suggest more once you give us an idea of your budget.

mynameiscalypso Thu 24-Jan-19 10:13:34

I think Shard and Oxo Tower are both pretty expensive and not great food. Personally, I would go to a Hawksmoor.

BertrandRussell Thu 24-Jan-19 10:20:51

The Ivy Market Grill in Covent Garden.

Joe Allan’s.

A Loch Fyne.

BertrandRussell Thu 24-Jan-19 10:21:30

Or The Golden Deagon in SoHo for dim sum.

JollyGiraffe Thu 24-Jan-19 10:22:10

Sophie's Steakhouse

Blobby10 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:23:03

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I was thinking standard British/European food - steak for example but wasn't overly impressed looking at the menus for Shard and Oxo which is why I was thinking someone may recommend somewhere better value! I think I was thinking of £30-40 on a main course if that's any help? There are 5/6 of us and everyone else will be having starters, desserts and drinks as well grin. None of us are foodie's so probably wouldn't go for Japanese, Taiwanese, Lebanese etc on this occasion.

Don't mind paying for a good meal as it's a special occasion and he isn't having a party but don't want to pay for somewhere like Oxo etc if the food lets it down!

Aethelthryth Thu 24-Jan-19 10:25:03

The Oxo Tower is dreadful. Gymkhana is wonderful, as is Indian Accent, also on Albermarle Street. Frenchie in Covent Garden is young and buzzy but with v good food

Blobby10 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:25:06

Looking at centralish London as I'm driving to St Albans with daughter and getting tube in, Ex will be travelling in on train to Kings Cross, other son getting train to Paddington

MrsHemmingway Thu 24-Jan-19 10:28:48

I think a Hawksmoor might fit your bill. I think the best one is Seven Dials.

Or Duck and Waffle, that’s liverpool st way however.

Bob Bob Ricard might be worth a look, but it’s quite hard to get a booking, if you’re wanting to eat earjybthiugh you might be okay.

Blobby10 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:32:28

Thank you so much everyone - Having a lovely time, when I should be working, going through these menus!! Does anyone else check out the desserts first?!!!!

BertrandRussell Thu 24-Jan-19 10:33:42

I like this game!

Spring.

PatriciaHolm Thu 24-Jan-19 10:34:37

Hawksmoor, if steaks are the order of the day?

TheDogsMother Thu 24-Jan-19 10:38:27

I second Hawksmoor. Also Smiths of Smithfield's. Different types of dining on each floor. Very fine dining on top floor, more brassiere style in the middle and buzzy/cool burger/ steak joint and bar on the ground.

Magissa Thu 24-Jan-19 10:38:30

Another vote for Hawksmoor. Never been disappointed.

AllTheCakes Thu 24-Jan-19 10:42:32

Also came to say Hawksmoor. They do a set menu if you are eating early too. Fantastic steaks and service. I’ve been to all of them and Air Street is my favourite. The Spitalfields one has had a revamp recently.

mynameiscalypso Thu 24-Jan-19 10:44:46

Air Street is my favourite Hawksmoor too and I like the bar. If you go, you must order the salted caramel rolos. I have dreams about them.

Fashionista101 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:48:37

Sketch is really fun, I think it will be appreciated at his age also.

Fashionista101 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:49:41

I always check the cocktails first and choose what I'll sip whilst browsing the actual menu 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: