Talk

Advanced search

Airbnb host being petty?

(215 Posts)
donewithwinter Wed 23-Jan-19 08:40:24

We stayed in a Airbnb on Saturday a lovely little cottage. I made sure I cleaned the whole place before I left even though I paid £21 cleaning fee.

Their was a tiny bin in the kitchen which wouldn't fit everything in so we left our McDonald's bag on top of it and put dd's nappy inside the bin in a nappy bag.

She just send me a message asking why I didn't take the nappies with me the whole cottage stinks and why did I leave rubbish on top of the bin. And she found a chocolate stain on the side of the table.

Chocolate stain whatever I must of missed it but honestly who on earth takes nappies home with them?!

SarahAndQuack Wed 23-Jan-19 08:47:09

I wouldn't leave a nappy for someone else to clear up. I think that's a bit grim.

LittleLongDog Wed 23-Jan-19 08:49:06

Would nappies not just always go in the outside bin?

OrchidInTheSun Wed 23-Jan-19 08:49:20

Every SC lace I've ever stayed asks you to empty the bins into outside ones/take recycling out. And yes it's horrid leaving someone a shitty nappy

SillySallySingsSongs Wed 23-Jan-19 08:49:24

Leaving dirty nappies for others to sort isn't good tbh.

BooksAreMyOnlyFriends Wed 23-Jan-19 08:49:29

Wasn't there an outside bin you could have put it all into?

Seline Wed 23-Jan-19 08:50:08

If it's in a bag in a bin then I don't see the problem.

donewithwinter Wed 23-Jan-19 08:50:21

Nope no outside bin otherwise I would of put them in. So you would take nappies home with you?

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 23-Jan-19 08:50:25

Wasn't there an outside bin to put the rubbish in? That's the normal thing to do.

I don't clean holiday properties as such, as in I don't clean bathrooms, strip beds or vacuum, but we always wash up/leave dishwasher running, kitchen wiped down, make sure everything is returned to where we found it and that the rubbish is put in the outside bins, wherever they may be.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 23-Jan-19 08:51:48

Cross posted with several others.

How wasn't there an outside bin? Everywhere we've ever stayed, whether in the UK or abroad, has had an outside bin, either solely for the property in question, or communal bins.

TrickyKid Wed 23-Jan-19 08:52:14

Nappies go straight in the outside bin but it shouldn't stink unless it was a number two, in which case ywbu to leave it in the bin.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 23-Jan-19 08:52:25

But if there wasn't a bin, yes I would take rubbish with me and put it in a street bin, or take it home.

donewithwinter Wed 23-Jan-19 08:54:04

Just so people don't think I'm lying attached pic.

Honestly didn't know people took rubbish home with them!

Lauren83 Wed 23-Jan-19 08:54:49

I think it's really bad form to leave rubbish especially a nappy, no wonder they were annoyed, I would use an outside bin if available if not take it in the car with me

Littleraindrop15 Wed 23-Jan-19 08:54:58

Just say there was no bin outside and either way £21 should more than cover emptying a bin!!

GlasgowWorrier Wed 23-Jan-19 08:55:38

YABU.

Also, discovering the stinky nappy bag probably gave her dark thoughts about the 'chocolate stain' on the side of the table.

KitKatCHA Wed 23-Jan-19 08:56:00

I think I would have bagged the rubbish up and left it outside by the front door if there wasn't an outside bin. Dirty nappies really do make the whole house stink. Crazy that she doesn't have an outside bin though!

Racecardriver Wed 23-Jan-19 08:56:44

No one reasonable would expect you to take runbishhome with you. Just respond that she did not provide adequate rubbish disposal facilities. The bin inside was too small and the outdoor bins were entirely absent.

OldSpeclkledHen Wed 23-Jan-19 08:56:50

Are you for real? Leaving your baby's shitty (literally) for someone else to dispose of?

Disgusting.

Lauren83 Wed 23-Jan-19 08:56:52

Also to be honest if you stayed 1 night only I doubt it was even dirty so she probably just didn't appreciate the fact you had cleaned and just saw takeaway wrappers, dirty nappy's (both of which would leave a smell for her and next visitors) and the food stain

Daffodil2018 Wed 23-Jan-19 08:57:54

I don’t see anything wrong in putting a single nappy - in a nappy bag - in the bin. How long did they leave it before cleaning?! Surely quite a while if it made the place stink?

donewithwinter Wed 23-Jan-19 08:58:10

She said she only went to the property today we checked out sunday! So I'm not surprised to be honest.

FruminousBandersnatch Wed 23-Jan-19 08:58:27

I have never in my life taken my rubbish home with me unless I was camping in the wild!

I would be pretty annoyed too OP.

reallybadidea Wed 23-Jan-19 08:59:31

I disagree with those saying it's disgusting not to take nappies home with you. I think it's rather disgusting not to provide an outside bin and expect your paying guests to take their rubbish home with them in their car.

SleepingStandingUp Wed 23-Jan-19 08:59:40

So if there was no outside bin, people would honestly store say 2 pooey nappies a day for 5 days in the wardrobe and take them home??

I'd have probably double bagged it - so wrapped properly, then in a nappy bag then in a second nappy or carrier bag. If you did that I can't see how it would smell out the kitchen let alone the whole house

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »