Talk

Advanced search

It's over 20 years since I first went online...

(184 Posts)
HollowTalk Fri 18-Jan-19 21:01:49

I was just thinking how different life is now - then we still had five channels (just) and a dial up connection. We'd only just started using emails at work and mobile phones were huge and expensive to use. You got what was given as far as entertainment was concerned and you paid by cash or cheque for everything you bought.

What difference do you think another 20 or 30 years will make?

MissedTheBoatAgain Tue 22-Jan-19 05:34:57

Still arguing about Brexit is my best guess.

WhentheDealGoesDown Tue 22-Jan-19 06:50:05

I will be over 80...

I can well remember the internet speed being 256mb and being charged 1p per minute on dial up, some places still only get not much more than that speed so until that changes stuff can't move forward that much.

Shops will be more like viewing places with only one of each item to see what it looks like if you want and then you can make an online purchase, they are going a bit that way now.

Cars will change a lot but maybe not all driverless.

Amazon type places will be the way to shop

randomuserhere Tue 22-Jan-19 06:54:13

First thing I did online was use the old version of MSN! Ahhhh them days....

Kazzyhoward Tue 22-Jan-19 08:26:07

There's massive redundancy built into our system and even with massive failures at every level we'll probably sort it out right pronto, there's millions upon millions of very smart people in the world and if there was some serious systemic failure many of them would be directing their attention to fixing it.

You have a lot of faith. Sadly I don't.

We lived in an area badly affected by Storm Desmond. Our entire town had no mobile signal for 2 days and the landlines were dead too! We had no electricity for 4 days and when we had it, it was diesel generators on street corners for another week. Shops were closed. Cash machines were dead. Once the diesel generators were running, there were a few telephone kiosks in the city centre that were working - they all had long queues. People were stranded as they had no way of paying for taxis (public transport had stopped). That was only 3 years ago. It really brings it home to you how much we depend on electricity and mobile network and what really worried people was just how slow the "emergency" repair teams were to get things back on track.

Look at Grenfell Tower - fire brigade spend millions on computers, radios, communications systems, which were spectacularly not up to the job in hand. They ended up with "runners" running around with scraps of paper! Radios weren't powerful enough to cover just a few floors. Control unit staff spend ages trying to reboot computers which didn't work and try to get visual links from the police helicopters, again which didn't work.

No, we all need a "Plan B" for when technology fails us.

OneStepMoreFun Tue 22-Jan-19 08:33:48

I predict:
privatised medical care
voluntary euthanasia
driverless cars (I hope)
agree with yorkshire mum about microchipped babies. Very likely.
shanty towns in the UK.

KisstheTeapot14 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:44:10

World wide AI may prove more efficient at making global decisions about food, economics and conflict.

Healthcare will stop asking people to travel 30 miles to sit in an office with a bored and patronising consultant. We will be skyping and more - sending samples and so on

Hover prams, for sure. Maybe even driverless ones. Robot Poppins?

sar302 Tue 22-Jan-19 13:51:38

Apparently "nano-Medicine" is going to be a big thing. Teeny tiny robots that can ferret away in your blood vessels and whatnot, and detect and cure things.
(Can you tell I'm not a doctor...?)

MarcieBluebell Tue 22-Jan-19 14:47:44

In the future I think I think there will be a backlash against the internet and people will go back to the old ways again.

I wish but disagree. The kids of today want phones and are bought up on screens. For many even today work means you have to be connected to some degree.

I'm sure many people would like to live without the internet but have an idealised view. I lived without it and a phone for months and it was hard. Try it! Even my tele needs the internet. I don't however use social media.

Kazzyhoward Wed 23-Jan-19 08:32:38

In the future I think I think there will be a backlash against the internet and people will go back to the old ways again.

The internet (or future developments of it) are definitely here to stay and there's a lot more revolution to come. It's so useful you can't "put it back in it's box" and return to the old ways.

But, alongside it, I think old skills will continue to grow in popularity but more of a hobby than for jobs/necessity. I was reading about a stationery business the other day that's effectively turned it's back on the business/school market and re-invented itself with writing for fun, i.e. fountain pens, diaries, journals, writing paper, drawing/painting supplies. There are also new shops opening up doing "crafts" such as a modern version of the old fashioned haberdashery shops, we have two new fishing tackle/fly shops, and old fashioned wooden toy shop, we even have a sewing machine shop. There are also new model-making shops opening up. The internet is enabling these, for two reasons, firstly as they're ALL also selling via online channels, and secondly because you-tube videos are now widespread showing people how to do these things, i.e. how to build and paint a model.

I foresee a future where the internet is at the heart of everything we do, but with it enabling us to do things we previously didn't have the ability to do, nor a ready supply of materials/tools needed that we now have at our fingertips.

Schools/education are another area that's barely been touched by the internet so far. Apps such as show my homework and random youtube videos is only the tip of the iceberg. My son is currently doing an online course - literally, there's no need for a teacher - I've seen it and it's really impressive - very well written with small chunks of text interwoven with videos and diagrams, and "end of session" practice and revision questions which prevent you from moving on to the next section until you get a high enough score (not just basic multiple choice questions either - it has a text reader so it can "mark" sentences and paragraphs of text!). Also it shows diagrams which you have to correctly label and you have to draw lines on graphs etc. If you don't score high enough, you have to re-do the section (it knows when you've finished watching a video - you can't just fast forward it!) and you get a different set of questions, so you can't just look up the answers to the ones you got wrong last time). Like I say, pretty impressive stuff. Expensive, but when that type of thing becomes mainstream, it will be easily affordable for the mass market. Has the potential to revolusionize education, certainly at secondary school level and beyond, maybe not so much at primary, but you never know what's around the corner.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »