Talk

Advanced search

Dd1 would like a surprise cake for her birthday...

(55 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 13-Jan-19 21:25:51

Any ideas apart from one with sweets in the middle that'll fall out as it's cut?

Stompythedinosaur Sun 13-Jan-19 22:23:48

Maybe a rainbow cake (one made of different coloured layers)?

ScrumptiousBears Sun 13-Jan-19 22:30:32

Unicorn one?

AngelOfDeathNix Sun 13-Jan-19 23:17:19

She definitely doesn't mean a lol surprise cake does she?

ErrolTheDragon Sun 13-Jan-19 23:24:42

You could make a 'treasure chest' shaped cake with chocolate coins in (assuming they're available still after Xmas), and maybe some 'jewellery'?

FelixTitling Sun 13-Jan-19 23:25:51

How old is she and what is she into?

lucysmam Fri 18-Jan-19 09:56:29

I forgot I'd posted this blush

AngelofDeath definitely not LOL Surprise.

She'll be 12 & is into Taylor Swift and Harry Potter. I've been scrolling ebay and Pinterest looking for something but nothing's jumping out as very surprising!

TchoupiEtDoudou Fri 18-Jan-19 10:00:09

Ordinary sponge cake. When cold, cut some of the bottom middle bit out and put a small box in it with a present inside? (Maybe wrap in foil for hygiene) E.g. Earrings or a ring?

As a joke you could just write surprise on the top and say that's what you thought she meant...

Bloomcounty Fri 18-Jan-19 10:01:19

How about a cake that looks like something else? Jane Asher did an amazing cake book in the late 80s that had one cake that looked like a plate of spaghetti bolognaise.

I guess with a bit of thinking and some icing skills, you could make a cake look like a pizza (deep pan, of course) or even a burger.

Depends on how good a baker you are, and how patient you are with icing and decorating!

Bloomcounty Fri 18-Jan-19 10:04:45

Here's an idea - burger and fries. Most kids are 50% burger and 50% fries at 12 (in their dreams, at least).

howtocakeit.com/products/burger-and-fries-cake-recipe

mogtheexcellent Fri 18-Jan-19 10:15:49

I found this on yoiutube. Harry potter Hogwarts house reveal cake. Actually can be simplified if you are not experienced in decorating. Its technically just a cake with the house colours as sweets in the middle. Does she know her Hogwarts house?

Harry potter reveal cake

Miane Fri 18-Jan-19 10:30:52

Trying googling piñata chocolate shell cake or chocolate shell smash cake.

You make a cake, decorate it with lots of sweeties and cover it with a chocolate shell, which you then smash with a hammer.

youreinacultcallyourdad Fri 18-Jan-19 14:26:39

There are many very cool Harry Potter cakes online, monster book of monsters might be doable if you have some level of cake making. Also I’ve seen a house reveal one where they chop up the sections and put back together so each slice is different I’ll see if I can find it

twilightcafe Fri 18-Jan-19 14:27:38

Rainbow cake with Harry Potter/Hogwarts colours?

Twotome Fri 18-Jan-19 14:31:39

Drip cake

Witchend Fri 18-Jan-19 15:34:42

Tell her it's chocolate and make it coffee. That gives anyone a surprise. grin

She might not like you afterwards though.

lucysmam Fri 18-Jan-19 16:47:18

grin @Witchend, she'd eat it anyway, she's the least fussy with food person I know!

I like the Hogwarts house reveal idea...I'll have to drop it into conversation somehow because I have no idea! She's no doubt told me at some point but it's not stuck in my brain.

Or *TchoupiEtDoudou I do have a ring I was going to wrap for her. It's a snake one similar to one Taylor Swift has, apparently. Dd kept shoving pictures under my nose so I bought one. She might appreciate the giggle at a cake that says "Surprise!" grin

milienhaus Fri 18-Jan-19 16:50:40

Something like this? goo.gl/images/HBsSmY

parrotonmyshoulder Fri 18-Jan-19 17:01:22

Do an anti-gravity cake. We did one last week and it was brilliant.

CinnamonToaster Fri 18-Jan-19 17:18:26

Voldemort cake topper . No one expects to see Voldemort on their cake.

Or chocolate icing and a really garish bright colour inside.

this scuba cake is incredible but also gives a fairly easy but effective way to do the "hidden inside" effect. Much much easier than doing the cut-through designs.

lumpsofitroundtheback Fri 18-Jan-19 17:51:04

How about a cake like the one that Hagrid gives Harry Potter on his birthday?

Chocolate sponge, clashing pink icing with bad green twirly writing which says "Happee Birthdae Harry" or put your dd's name in instead.

Loads of images around.

kateandme Fri 18-Jan-19 19:01:32

rosebakes.com/bright-bold-stripes-polka-dots-1st-birthday-cake/
just seen this done and it was fab.not too hard once you got all the bit together
something like this design and then you could do the surprise middle of sweets.
www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/how-to/birthday-present-cake-293026
a guitar shape for t.s

SoftSheen Fri 18-Jan-19 20:32:11

Polka dot surprise cake (google it) smile

yogima Fri 18-Jan-19 20:42:57

How about a harry potter themed pinata cake (sorting hat?). You could put Bertie botts Every Flavour Beans inside. Nothing more surprising (and potentially disgusting) than the fear of a dog food or barf flavoured jelly bean speaks from experience

BrieAndChilli Fri 18-Jan-19 20:46:54

Blow up a balloon and dip in choc, let it dry and then do it again and cover in sprinkles.
Then pop the balloon and put the chocolate on a cake with sweets under it so you can smash it like a piñata .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »