Talk

Advanced search

Need advice

(14 Posts)
Penguin2412 Fri 11-Jan-19 18:52:35

I'm currently in a new relationship, we've recently had a new baby, therefore I'm on maternity leave. I'm also paying my ex child Maintainence every week.

What I'm wondering is that, when I call and explain a change in income, to possibly reduce payments. Will they have to tell my ex I've had another baby??

Bluestitch Fri 11-Jan-19 18:54:59

Won't your joint child tell their mum about the new baby anyway? Also, you could always not reduce payments. It isn't mandatory to pay the bare legal minimum possible.

stinkypoo Fri 11-Jan-19 23:43:39

Surely the costs of your other child's parent haven't changed, and also you presumably had some notice to prepare for your new arrival?

Birdsgottafly Fri 11-Jan-19 23:48:24

As said, does your child not know about their half-Sibling?

As far as I know it comes under data protection and the reason won't be disclosed.

Singlenotsingle Fri 11-Jan-19 23:49:46

So the father of your first baby is the RP? And your income has reduced considerably because you're on mat leave? He's going to want to know why his money has reduced, isn't he?

Penguin2412 Sat 12-Jan-19 00:29:05

Yh he's the receiving parent of my first child. I guess he's going to want to know. Yes, im on mat leave after the birth of my second, with a different partner.

What I'm asking is do the Child Maintainence service tell him why they're reduced? As it's really none of his business

localfluff Sat 12-Jan-19 01:59:45

Why do you need to reduce payments? Your child still needs things. Why should your ex have to make cutbacks because you've chosen to have another child?

thaegumathteth Sat 12-Jan-19 02:24:22

Do you not have contact with your eldest?

PatricksRum Sat 12-Jan-19 02:58:35

Why are parents so insistent on paying the bare minimum in child maintenance?
Ugh

Stephisaur Sat 12-Jan-19 03:47:07

I’m assuming OP is asking to reduce the payments as she’s on maternity leave and can no longer afford to pay what she’s paying now?

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer OP, but I’m sure if you gave them a call they would tell you if they declare it to your ex. They might just say it’s a change in circumstances without going into too much detail.

Justagirlwholovesaboy Sat 12-Jan-19 04:04:27

Payments are calculated on income, they will reduce to a set minimum if you can’t afford it and no reason will be given. However do you not want your children to know each other? Do you not think they will resent you at some point when they find out?

Smotheroffive Sat 12-Jan-19 04:28:34

Cms are not at liberty, legally, to give any third party, any information about you. Anything you tell them remains with them.

You can send them your pay slips as evidence, and I would think they should just adjust payments, but how is your older DC going to manage with you suddenly contributing less? Is it much? Doesn't eldest see you ever? Clearly not if they don't know you were pregnant.

Penguin2412 Sat 12-Jan-19 07:07:34

No I don't have any contact with my eldest. However that's something else I'm sorting. It is considerably less, but the ex doesn't need it to live. He said once I started paying it he'd just save it for when he's older. Don't actually know if he is

Thankyou for your help smile

Smotheroffive Sat 12-Jan-19 20:20:29

I wish you luck OP, and hope you can all come together again flowers congrats

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »